Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Having a Baby in Spain

Having a Baby in Spain

Old Oct 8th 2009, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

Rubysmummy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Having a Baby in Spain

Hi, we are a British couple and are planning to move to spain next year, but ive just found out im pregnant. My partner is taking his business over there so will be working full time, but i wont be as i have a 1 year old daughter. I am considering having the baby in Spain (as near to Moraira as poss) but i am very confused about how much it will cost. Im not too sure how to go about it either. Can anybody help or give me any advice on how to go about this..

Many Thanks

Jodie
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Having a Baby in Spain

Hi Jodie, have sent pm to you
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:22 pm
Just Joined

Thank-you for the message but unfortunatley i cannot read it as it says i have to recieve 3 posts. Im new to this forum so i hope im doing it right

J
Old Oct 8th 2009, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Why should it cost anything?
Two of my children were born in La Fey hospital in Valencia under the state system. At the time I was not paying into the Spanish social security system and only had temporary SIP cards.
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:01 pm
Just Joined

Well i was hoping that it was free but i know that some things dont come for free these days.. I just wanted a bit of info on how to go about this, and what the general care like of looking after pregnant woman and newborn babies over in Spain...
Old Oct 8th 2009, 8:48 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

It's a few years old, but here is a great article by a BE member about having a baby in Spain. Although not entirely up to date it will give you an idea of things.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:44 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue
It's a few years old, but here is a great article by a BE member about having a baby in Spain. Although not entirely up to date it will give you an idea of things.
That is a good link Sue, I should of put it in Free Beer. ;-)

My daughter had a baby at the same hospital and was really treated well, her hubbie was allowed to stay all the time and slept on a bed/chair in the room, she has had one in the UK too, but knows where is best. lol

They get a choice of Malaga or Costa del Sol, CdS is so much easier to access and free parking also.

Jodie ask specific questions you are worried about and we will ask her. ;-)
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter is pregnant and is having the baby in Spain. She got a E106 to cover her for healthcare and has just had her first scan.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 8:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it depends on the staff at the time, but my friend had her 4 month old at Malaga Materno Infantil & her treatment sounded a bit brusque & basic & her children weren't allowed to stay which left me having to pick them up outside which meant the dad missed the birth.... then they were really off about her wanting to leave the next day.
Guess much like anywhere things vary.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replys, i had a good read of that birth story and helped me understand a few more things, i just basically wanted to know what would i have to do once i get to spain as i will probably be around 5 months pregnant.. What forms will have to get, could i get by with just speaking english or would i have to speak spanish (Which i am trying to learn). I dont claim benefits in England so im guessing i will have to pay for it but will private health insurance cover it, especially how ive got to have a C section. Im just a bit confused about it all, especially how its all going to happen so fast!! Got to be prepared!!

Many Thanks (Again)

Jodie
Old Oct 9th 2009, 4:04 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rubysmummy
Thanks for your replys, i had a good read of that birth story and helped me understand a few more things, i just basically wanted to know what would i have to do once i get to spain as i will probably be around 5 months pregnant.. What forms will have to get, could i get by with just speaking english or would i have to speak spanish (Which i am trying to learn). I dont claim benefits in England so im guessing i will have to pay for it but will private health insurance cover it, especially how ive got to have a C section. Im just a bit confused about it all, especially how its all going to happen so fast!! Got to be prepared!!

Many Thanks (Again)

Jodie
If your husband is working here legally you will be covered on his health cover as his dependant.
You can get forms from the DWP in the UK to cover you for a while, phone them and ask.
Most of the doctors speak a bit of English, but they do like you to show willing and try and speak to them in Spanish.
Old Oct 9th 2009, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

Leafy is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter had her (now 2 year old) baby in Marbella and fpund the whole thing very unstressful compared to her most recent in Bristol!!!!!

She did pre-plan it though and went to the hospital beforehand to speak with them