Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:53 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Many people over here and when I was in France either couldn't pronounce my first name or could never remember it so I stick with my middle name most of the time.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:08 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Originally Posted by JLFS
We dropped our second surname, for a start, but that was not to "fit in better".It was almost impossible to keep a second surname, in the UK as there was no provision for one on official forms and things.

Also I dropped half of my first name, as in those days the English shortened every name under the sun, so to have 2 as a christian names was just being greedy.

all my friends said that they would call me JOE, as everyone always got the Luis bit wrong and pronounced it as LOUIS (French way)

Also we knocked the accents in the head, once again impossible to keep in the UK on official papers.
Wow, José-Luis doesn´t seem that difficult to me. The Spanish renamed me Jorge, the ex-guiri by now. In English I would be George, mmmmppfh.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:17 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Wow, José-Luis doesn´t seem that difficult to me. The Spanish renamed me Jorge, the ex-guiri by now. In English I would be George, mmmmppfh.
It doesnt seem all that difficult to me either, but we have English friends who live in Torrevieja, in a place called San Luis. And I would say that most of the British I have met on my visits have called the place San Louis (loo-ee).

It seems a thing with British peeps, they have to knock the "S" off the end off the end.

When I said it had an S on the end, I was called Louise or Lewis.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:37 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
Anything with g or h is a prob so graham just doesn't work.
What amazes me is that the spanish refuse to call you john but juan but if spanish juan was in the UK we would not change it to John
It must be very tough for anyone called John King....................

Think about it..............
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

It must be very tough for anyone called John King....................

Think about it..............

Thats a cracker!

Some Spanish have a problem with th so I dropped the h and stuck the usual o on the end.
Been that way for 16 year now,..quite like it.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 10:20 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

It doesnt seem all that difficult to me either, but we have English friends who live in Torrevieja, in a place called San Luis. And I would say that most of the British I have met on my visits have called the place San Louis (loo-ee).

It seems a thing with British peeps, they have to knock the "S" off the end off the end.

Haha, Same with the Andalucians: Gracia, Adio y ´ta luego!
Best is in Punta del Moral though, we´re they order Pa pa To´! (Pan para todos!)
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:12 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jur
Haha, Same with the Andalucians: Gracia, Adio y ´ta luego!
Best is in Punta del Moral though, we´re they order Pa pa To´! (Pan para todos!)
Much the same in the Canaries also dropping the s of everything,maybe partly due to the Central American influence.

Another thing the locals there have thats different, is guaguas,..pronounced wawa,...whereas in almost all of Europe it is bus or autobus.
We always used to tell our friends,..."no wuffwuffs on the guagua".
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Yes, I have also changed my name to the nearest pronouncable equivalent.

I'm so used to it now that my real name just doesn't sound right anymore. It doesn't even occur to me these days to tell people what my real name is. I'd been with my OH for over a year before I told him what I was really called.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I too use my middle name.
I have got used to Saying I'll write it down when asked for my full name in any official capacity, then laughing as they try and pronounce it.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:24 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

my name's really easy - though I have been called Linda sometimes

my older daughter just noticed that on the class photo the other year they had put a tilde over the 'e' - it would need it for the pronunciation to be right in Spanish

my younger daughter has a foreign-sounding name anyway - I have to use the Spanish pronunciation though if I want to get her attention if she's with a crowd of friends

My OH has never been called Juan - though it does get spelt wrong sometimes.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:31 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

One of our elderly neighbours spent quite a bit of time teaching my OH how to pronounce my name properly. Most call him Gra·am but a few (because they know that the English pronounce the H) say GraHam.

Fun.

Rosemary
Old Apr 30th 2010, 5:36 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Oddities
One of our elderly neighbours spent quite a bit of time teaching my OH how to pronounce my name properly. Most call him Gra·am but a few (because they know that the English pronounce the H) say GraHam.

Fun.

Rosemary
yes, GraHam always seems to cause problems....................

one of my students surname is Comer - he has great fun trying to book a table....
Old Apr 30th 2010, 6:27 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

San Luis, properly pronounced with the S on the end, is four miles away from Torrevieja. I should know, I've walked it a few times. It's quicker to walk to Los Montesinos, along the salt lake, and there are still a few Spanish people left there.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:18 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Do you think that is because most Brits get innoculated with the French language in school, and the French pronunciation would be to drop the 's' ?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 9:35 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

We dropped our second surname, for a start, but that was not to "fit in better".It was almost impossible to keep a second surname, in the UK as there was no provision for one on official forms and things.

Also I dropped half of my first name, as in those days the English shortened every name under the sun, so to have 2 as a christian names was just being greedy.

all my friends said that they would call me JOE, as everyone always got the Luis bit wrong and pronounced it as LOUIS (French way)

Also we knocked the accents in the head, once again impossible to keep in the UK on official papers.
For my kids at school...I have "given" them my maiden name too so that they have two surnames..

Only so that doesn't it confuse the teachers or the other kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.