Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Old Apr 29th 2010, 6:47 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

I met a woman the other day called Maria, but I found out later that her name is Marie, she just called herself Maria to make life easier.

I did the same when in England, so I am not saying it is wrong, but I was just wondering if it was the "norm" for folks with unusual or complicated names to "adapt" them.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice
Default Re: have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

Can't say I ever have, but I met a lot of younger expats, 20 - 30's, who changed their name to the Spanish equivalent.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: have any of you changed the way you say your name for an easier life.

My OH has massive issues with pronunciation of his name.

It causes a laugh and can break barriers..

Maybe over time he will have to tweak it a bit though.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:06 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

my missus uses her middle name because she said that she felt a fool being called Linda in Spain
Old Apr 29th 2010, 7:09 pm
Banned

I knew an Archie in the UK his real name was Arsenio.

It was pronounced Arse-nee-oh by the English.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:04 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When I moved countries as a young boy, every time someone asked me what my name was, it caused trouble, so I renamed myself to stop the trouble. It wasn't a big deal, I merely translated my name into the new country's equivalent name, and when they asked me where I came from, I lied.

I didn't lie to start with, but after getting beat up on a daily basis at the age of 12, I thought it was best to, and it became a habit

Funnily enough, while shopping in Mercadona earlier tonight, my wife got into conversation with someone and mentioned that I spoke another language as well. The years flashed past and I was back in a school playground, fighting for my life. I made a joke of it, and denied it. Habit, I suppose.

Xavi.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:08 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are a lot of British who have changed their names in Spain but not for legit reasons
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Ye. Rachel doesn't go down well sometimes, especially over the phone.

But even when I do give my real name it often gets changed for me.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:10 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I think there are a lot of British who have changed their names in Spain but not for legit reasons
you mean after being exposed on Crimewatch?
Old Apr 29th 2010, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Anything with g or h is a prob so graham just doesn't work.
What amazes me is that the spanish refuse to call you john but juan but if spanish juan was in the UK we would not change it to John
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:01 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Yes I have...it has a th in it so I just use the t (if that makes sense).

I have a spanish friend called Anushka and everyone shortens it and calls her Anus...don't think she should change to an English pronunication.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by manamama
Yes I have...it has a th in it so I just use the t (if that makes sense).

I have a spanish friend called Anushka and everyone shortens it and calls her Anus...don't think she should change to an English pronunication.
What a bummer.........
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:20 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JLFS
I met a woman the other day called Maria, but I found out later that her name is Marie, she just called herself Maria to make life easier.

I did the same when in England, so I am not saying it is wrong, but I was just wondering if it was the "norm" for folks with unusual or complicated names to "adapt" them.
What is your name then?

I´ve been called ur, hugh, uer, yuri (hate that), lurr, yogur, jer........ By British and Spanish!
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:38 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Given the amount of names people call me I honestly couldn't care less at what I get called.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 9:52 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jur
What is your name then?

I´ve been called ur, hugh, uer, yuri (hate that), lurr, yogur, jer........ By British and Spanish!

We dropped our second surname, for a start, but that was not to "fit in better".It was almost impossible to keep a second surname, in the UK as there was no provision for one on official forms and things.

Also I dropped half of my first name, as in those days the English shortened every name under the sun, so to have 2 as a christian names was just being greedy.

all my friends said that they would call me JOE, as everyone always got the Luis bit wrong and pronounced it as LOUIS (French way)

Also we knocked the accents in the head, once again impossible to keep in the UK on official papers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.