British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Has the UK gone totally insane? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/has-uk-gone-totally-insane-721942/)

bil Jul 8th 2011 9:25 pm

Re: Has the UK gone totally insane?

Originally Posted by Domino (Post 9484658)
I thought was what men said to women
live and learn

Australian foreplay = "Brace yourself!"

Dick Dasterdly Jul 8th 2011 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by bricwood (Post 9484494)

Jeez, talk about taking the p!ss.
That one really takes the biscuit. :blink:

bil Jul 8th 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9484752)
Jeez, talk about taking the p!ss.
That one really takes the biscuit. :blink:

Not half.

Lynn R Jul 8th 2011 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9482786)
I think you are making the basic error of thinking that you (or any of us) matter.

The government would sell you for soup if it suited them.

They probably will, in a few years' time when the problems of an aging population get even worse - I can just hear the bright-eyed young spin doctors working on it "Hey, why not present it as an ingenious new sustainability incentive? That'll play well with the environmental lobby!".:)

Domino Jul 9th 2011 12:03 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9484747)
Australian foreplay = "Brace yourself!"

I thought "having a stiff one" related to drink
:o

Domino Jul 9th 2011 12:05 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9484895)
They probably will, in a few years' time when the problems of an aging population get even worse - I can just hear the bright-eyed young spin doctors working on it "Hey, why not present it as an ingenious new sustainability incentive? That'll play well with the environmental lobby!".:)

shades of "Logan's Run"

bil Jul 9th 2011 2:54 am

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 9484895)

I truly wish that this suggestion were less believeable.

Domino Jul 10th 2011 9:16 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-like-mum.html

Where are Social Services in all this?? Girl of 14, pregnant, isn't that against the law ?

Still we can say the mother is doing her bit for the country providing lots of young ones who will be earning and providing taxes for the elderly to come.
Except they are mostly girls

¿Cynical? ¿me?

anonimouse Jul 11th 2011 1:38 am

All my friends in the UK are telling me that things are going to change re' the benefit system big time. It's reassuring to know (in a way) that this is total nonsense

bil Jul 11th 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9488386)
All my friends in the UK are telling me that things are going to change re' the benefit system big time. It's reassuring to know (in a way) that this is total nonsense

As is typical with the tories, this is just an assult on the weak and powerless.

Look at them all.

We must get the dole shirkers to work!
Pensioners must work for longer!
Disabled to face benefits cuts.

etc etc etc. There aren't jobs for the shirkers, the pensioners are clogging up jobs that could be given to younger people, and when the disabled lose their houses whatever, what happens then?

Duuuhhhh.

anonimouse Jul 11th 2011 3:12 am

The only recollection of the Torries in power that I have are huge strikes, everything up for sale, 18 percent interest rates, (nice for those with money) no electricity or street lights at night, poll tax protesters.

I was in school then but after such a short time they are bringing back all those memories.

bil Jul 11th 2011 3:19 am

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9488529)
The only recollection of the Torries in power that I have are huge strikes, everything up for sale, 18 percent interest rates, (nice for those with money) no electricity or street lights at night, poll tax protesters.

I was in school then but after such a short time they are bringing back all those memories.

Tories and Labour will both screw you and are as useless as each other. (the reason I don't criticise the useless Liberals is they have as much chance of weilding real power as I have flying to the moon.)

The difference is that Labour has to pay lip service to the poor.

There's nothing quite so offensive in my eyes as rich politicians with a couple of homes screwing the rest of us out of our hard earned.

Domino Jul 11th 2011 3:20 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9488516)
As is typical with the tories, this is just an assult on the weak and powerless.

Look at them all.

We must get the dole shirkers to work!
Pensioners must work for longer!
Disabled to face benefits cuts.

etc etc etc. There aren't jobs for the shirkers, the pensioners are clogging up jobs that could be given to younger people, and when the disabled lose their houses whatever, what happens then?

Duuuhhhh.

Yes, bring back Bumbling Brown :p

the country really needs a shot of arsenic in the arm to get all the benefit scroungers back out of work, young mothers back into their council flats, visitors taking £250,000 NHS expenditure to assist in births. Open the borders and let all and sundry into the country, close all the detention centres and just give them a certificate saying British with free passport.
Let all the teenagers stay at home until 25 by which time they will have had at least 3 kids by different women.

Lets bail out Southern Cross so we can dump more elderly into homes to watch the clock. In fact lets reduce the retirement age to 55, that will clear the jobs situation nicely, the average time in a care home is approx 2 years so there will be a big boost to the Co-op Funerals business.

sounds such a nice place :rolleyes:

Domino Jul 11th 2011 3:24 am

Originally Posted by anonimouse (Post 9488529)

thats because after even a short term with Labour at the helm the country was just spend spend spend with no thought for the (taxpayer) pocket

You will also be old enough to remember the Thatcher/Major period when the pound was strong, the country was rolling in money. Where do you think Bumbling Brown and his boss Bliar got all their money from in the first 5 years. They then spent 12 years borrowing - even sold our gold reserve at what was politely put as "a discount".

come the revolution.......

anonimouse Jul 11th 2011 3:33 am

Well I'm not into politics, but I thought they had simply lived off all the money from everything they sold off and now there is nothing left to sell, you/we are being asked to foot the bill.