Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Has the Firestick geo changed.

Has the Firestick geo changed.

Old Apr 28th 2024, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

jackteet is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Has the Firestick geo changed.

Hi, Many years ago I purchased a firestick in a friends name from the uk and loaded TVMucho [ then ] and connected vpn to the uk.It works fine.
Friends have just purchased an apt here in spain and want uk tv. I have heard that now the goe restrictions no longer apply and that I can purchse a stick from amazon spain, load with a tv app and plugin and play. I am thinking of TeeeeVeeeing which we have. I shall be most grateful for advice please. TIA
Old Apr 29th 2024, 6:03 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has the Firestick geo changed.

A firestick is a firestick. It makes no difference where you buy it from. So no geo restrictions on where you buy it (never has been).
Content available on the main screen of the firestick is based on where you are using the firestick.
Geo restrictions will apply on the content being watched.
So UK TV content via official apps (iplayer itvx etc) are still geo blocked and need a VPN.
TVMucho / TVeeing is not an official broadcaster app, and so it "bypasses" the need for geoblocking and VPNs.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

Note that even with a VPN you're unlikely to be able to download the BBC, ITVX etc. apps from the Play Store and will have to download Firestick versions from non official sources.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 6:41 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
Note that even with a VPN you're unlikely to be able to download the BBC, ITVX etc. apps from the Play Store and will have to download Firestick versions from non official sources.
Overcome this by changing the region / address on the Amazon account to a UK one, then the UK apps appear, install them, and then you can revert the account details back to what they were, and the apps stay in the firestick unless you deregister the account from the firestick.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
Overcome this by changing the region / address on the Amazon account to a UK one, then the UK apps appear, install them, and then you can revert the account details back to what they were, and the apps stay in the firestick unless you deregister the account from the firestick.
Yes I recently bought a firestick and did exactly that to get the main UK TV apps . It works fine I'm very pleased with it.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine has recently lost his UK TV through satback, and is looking for alternatives. Not interested in Sky, TNT etc - just terrestrial, free-to-view channels. You can download apps like iPlayer and ITVX and use VPN, or install TVeeing. The cost seems to be about the same, around 100 euro a year. Which is better?
Old Apr 29th 2024, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I had never heard of TVeeing - and I think this explains why!

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/teeveeing.com
Old Apr 29th 2024, 10:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
I had never heard of TVeeing - and I think this explains why!

https://www.trustpilot.com/review/teeveeing.com
I think TVmucho became teeveeing or got taken over by them. I've never used either.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 11:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Joppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond reputeJoppa has a reputation beyond repute

I have thought about TV Mucho/TVeeing because it comes with its own app with EPG etc, which makes switching between channels much easier than using apps like iPlayer and ITVX, when you have to fire up different app when changing channels across providers. Also my friend isn't really technically minded and wants an easy-to-use system, like satback.

Last edited by Joppa; Apr 29th 2024 at 11:12 am.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 3:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

good to see The Guy I still around have not seen a post of his for ages!

A firestick is a firestick. It makes no difference where you buy it from. So no geo restrictions on where you buy it (never has been).
Content available on the main screen of the firestick is based on where you are using the firestick.
Geo restrictions will apply on the content being watched.
So UK TV content via official apps (iplayer itvx etc) are still geo blocked and need a VPN.
TVMucho / TVeeing is not an official broadcaster app, and so it "bypasses" the need for geoblocking and VPNs.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Guys, many thanks to you all for the help. My friend has decided to buy a firestick from amazon uk and to bring it over and subscribe to TeeVeeing. Also to get Smart DNS free and set to the uk and watch the pre-loaded uk channels. Thanks again for all the info
Old Apr 29th 2024, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

I have combined Smart DNS with my Firestick for the past 3 years with no problems.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks for that, assume you purchase from amazon uk
Old Apr 29th 2024, 9:18 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

People.
The only expert commenting on this thread is a poster called Guy, who I have listened to for years but do not have the slightest connection to.
If you are in doubt about these thing simply ask him & not what you heard down at the bar.
Old Apr 29th 2024, 9:49 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VFR
People.
The only expert commenting on this thread is a poster called Guy, who I have listened to for years but do not have the slightest connection to.
If you are in doubt about these thing simply ask him & not what you heard down at the bar.
I agree. The Guy has been a very helpful member for many years.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.