Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hard to clean above ground pool

hard to clean above ground pool

Old Aug 17th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point
Default hard to clean above ground pool

I have an above ground pool with the blue plastic liner. For a couple of years it was easy to clean simply by adding 5 in 1 etc and, when it all settled to the bottom, hoovering it all up. However, more and more of the dirt seems to have become ingrained into the plastic. i dont want to use abrasives if i can help it (dont want to damage the plastic) so does anyone know if there is any type of cleaner/preparation that i can use to clean the liner properly. many thanks
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:46 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hard to clean above ground pool

Sun cream residues leave a nasty scum which is very hard to remove. Have you been using pool without showering first?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

mikeglover is an unknown quantity at this point

Dont use suncreams but ta for the warning. most of the dirt is dust blown in from the land. settles at the bottom - most is easy to hoover but seems to be worse at the edges at wont lift off
Old Aug 17th 2012, 6:55 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure poolboy will be along shortly, to offer good advice.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 9:20 am
Just Joined

preeti22 is an unknown quantity at this point

Use robotic pool cleaner regularly, it always keep your pool clean and forget the cream.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

mogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud ofmogsmum has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by missile
I am sure poolboy will be along shortly, to offer good advice.
loving that link v funny
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:15 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by mogsmum
loving that link v funny
Thank you
Old Oct 13th 2012, 10:19 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Thank you
Drain the pool, brush off wet deposits, refill pool.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 1:09 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Change the liner.
Old Oct 13th 2012, 5:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Have you been checking your PH level regularly using tablets not drops?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

What is '5 in 1' ?

I have an AG pool and 99.99% of what get's in it is removeable either by the skimmer if it floats or a fine mesh net if not. I think I have actually hoovered it maybe 5 times and principally in the Spring when large amounts of pollen can drop in and it's quicker to hoover then keep stirring it up and letting the filter take care of it.

What is getting in yours that needs special measures ?
Old Oct 15th 2012, 5:53 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
What is '5 in 1' ?

I have an AG pool and 99.99% of what get's in it is removeable either by the skimmer if it floats or a fine mesh net if not. I think I have actually hoovered it maybe 5 times and principally in the Spring when large amounts of pollen can drop in and it's quicker to hoover then keep stirring it up and letting the filter take care of it.

What is getting in yours that needs special measures ?
"5 in 1" tablets are a combination of chemicals that do a number of things. Some of these are; chlorine to keep the water good, algicide to keep the algae at bay, floculant to clear the water and make it look crystal clear, a de-scaler to clean scum off the top of the water and the fifth ..... I think this may prevent stains building up (can't actually recall).

Some people use 3 in 1 and then deal with the other problems if and when they occur. Others choose to just use chlorine - each to their own.
Old Oct 15th 2012, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Never heard them called that here in France is why I asked.

If you use flocculant then you can expect microscopic debris to sink to the bottom from which it will subsequently require hoovering out, that's it's job !

I have never used it in my pool and on the odd occasion when I have had a slight clouding of the water I have just stirred it up well and then left the filter running overnight which invariably clears it. I'm running it tonight as it happens because I've done the final clean out prior to shutting it down for the Winter tomorrow.

I should say that from the beginning I threw away the useless cartridge filter supplied with the pool and replaced it with a small (1x 25kg bag) sand filter. With the saving on buying new filters at €10 or so a pop that paid for itself in a year or so.