Is It Hard!!!!

Old Sep 11th 2006, 3:29 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: locating to spain
Posts: 279
the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all
Default Is It Hard!!!!

Hi, Guys,
I was just thinking is it hard to find a job in Spain i do not speak the language yet? my hubby will have work but i am debating do i get a job in an estate agents or do i take the plunge and train to be a hairdresser in torromlinos (rubbish at spelling sorry) which is a 12 month course.

I will be 25 minutes inland from there and was just thinking if i could get a job within a couple of months of being in Spain that would be what i would do?

Has anyone had any experience of finding work?

All replies would be appreciated
the sun is shining is offline  
Old Sep 11th 2006, 4:15 pm
  #2  
zel
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 987
zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is It Hard!!!!

You will find it hard to find work in Spain if you can not speak the language.

You do not mention if you currently have a trade or anything, if not then it mostly boils down to seasonal work and there is a hell of a lot of competition in this field.

Most Brits in Spain try to be an estate agents and the vast majority fail as it's a lot harder than just showing people around houses, so if you have no experience back in the UK of being an agent what makes you feel you could make a go of it in a foreign country?

I personaly feel as you mentioned a training course I would do that and at the same time take intensive Spanish leasons to open up your chances of employment in a Spanish hairdressers aswell as the British owned ones.

Sorry to be blunt, I'd love to say no problems etc etc but that's not reality.

Good Luck!

Last edited by zel; Sep 11th 2006 at 4:19 pm.
zel is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:03 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: locating to spain
Posts: 279
the sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to allthe sun is shining is a name known to all
Default Re: Is It Hard!!!!

Originally Posted by zel
You will find it hard to find work in Spain if you can not speak the language.

You do not mention if you currently have a trade or anything, if not then it mostly boils down to seasonal work and there is a hell of a lot of competition in this field.

Most Brits in Spain try to be an estate agents and the vast majority fail as it's a lot harder than just showing people around houses, so if you have no experience back in the UK of being an agent what makes you feel you could make a go of it in a foreign country?

I personaly feel as you mentioned a training course I would do that and at the same time take intensive Spanish leasons to open up your chances of employment in a Spanish hairdressers aswell as the British owned ones.

Sorry to be blunt, I'd love to say no problems etc etc but that's not reality.

Good Luck!
Hi,
Thanks for the advice, i do have experience in estate agency work as that is all i have ever done here in the uk.
However i do think i will go for the training course and learn the language, but i appreciate all good advice.
the sun is shining is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:28 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 62
DrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to allDrStarsky is a name known to all
Default Re: Is It Hard!!!!

Definitely learn the language, I've never met any real estate agent who wasn't fluent in spanish.

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi,
Thanks for the advice, i do have experience in estate agency work as that is all i have ever done here in the uk.
However i do think i will go for the training course and learn the language, but i appreciate all good advice.
DrStarsky is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:44 pm
  #5  
¿Dónde estoy?
 
lynnxa's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: my paradise - Jávea
Posts: 13,330
lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Hard!!!!

Originally Posted by DrStarsky
Definitely learn the language, I've never met any real estate agent who wasn't fluent in spanish.

I've met loads..........however they only deal with their own nationality
lynnxa is offline  
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:21 pm
  #6  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 25,318
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is It Hard!!!!

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I've met loads..........however they only deal with their own nationality
Our after sales helper spoke virtually no Spanish, so everywhere he took us we knew that they would speak good English, helpful at the start, but certainly you will find it almost impossible if you don't understand. I know of a family of 5 who came out here to live and work, but not one of them had even tried to learn any Spanish, they were relying on getting jobs where they only spoke English to English people. End result was a family having to sell up and return to the UK as not one of them managed to find a job in the 6 months they gave it.
mikelincs is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.