Reload this Page >

Hand Cranked Persianas

Hand Cranked Persianas

Old May 20th 2013, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Mike Dickinson is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Hand Cranked Persianas

Hello,

My wife and I have just bought a property in Villajoyosa. We are delighted with our new home but have a problem as one of the hand cranked persianas has become stuck in the half up/down position and we now can't move the blind up or down.
We would be very grateful if anyone could give us some tips upon how it might be repaired.
I have seen some information for cord operated blinds but would like to know if this type of persianas (hand cranked) has a similar mechanism or uses a completely different system.
Old May 20th 2013, 2:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hand Cranked Persianas

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

I do not know what I am talking about but maybe WD40 or similar will help to free things up enough for you to find out what the problem is going to entail.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 20th 2013, 2:19 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Dickinson
Hello,

My wife and I have just bought a property in Villajoyosa. We are delighted with our new home but have a problem as one of the hand cranked persianas has become stuck in the half up/down position and we now can't move the blind up or down.
We would be very grateful if anyone could give us some tips upon how it might be repaired.
I have seen some information for cord operated blinds but would like to know if this type of persianas (hand cranked) has a similar mechanism or uses a completely different system.
We have those as well.

What happens is that the slats in the persianas slide to one side or the other and get jammed.

What ours have, at the villa, is a metal panel above the window. If you remove that, then you should be able to see the roll of slats and sort the problem out.

The ones we have in our flats are basically the same but have a wooden box above the window. I recently had to break the front of this box, repair the pull cord and then fit a new panel. Much more work on this type.
Old May 20th 2013, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

Hello both,

Thank you very much for the welcome and to snikpoh for the practical advice.
Old May 20th 2013, 3:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We have those as well.

What happens is that the slats in the persianas slide to one side or the other and get jammed.

What ours have, at the villa, is a metal panel above the window. If you remove that, then you should be able to see the roll of slats and sort the problem out.

The ones we have in our flats are basically the same but have a wooden box above the window. I recently had to break the front of this box, repair the pull cord and then fit a new panel. Much more work on this type.
Mine have the same design and consequently occasionally the same problem.
There is an almost full length panel on the underside to gain access which slots into a groove in the main section to hold it in place.

The main problem is the constant drafts whenever it's windy as the panels are far from airtight.
Any suggestions as to the best way to reduce/eliminate the draft and still maintain accessibility ?
Old May 21st 2013, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

ionie is an unknown quantity at this point

A neighbour who fixed mine told me that if you have to take out one of the slates because it's warped or cracked then you have to take out 2 so that it all slides back together properly.
I think...
Old May 21st 2013, 12:22 pm
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but..
We have the same hand cranked type, but with wooden slates & they are all connected with metal fittings, so they can not slide one way or the other.
Anyway my question is, does any one know where to get the wooden slates from ? they may possibly come with the metal fittings in or possibly you are meant to slide new fittings in because they have screws in.

Tar.
Suzi
Old May 21st 2013, 1:17 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grebo
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but..
We have the same hand cranked type, but with wooden slates & they are all connected with metal fittings, so they can not slide one way or the other.
Anyway my question is, does any one know where to get the wooden slates from ? they may possibly come with the metal fittings in or possibly you are meant to slide new fittings in because they have screws in.

Tar.
Suzi
I think you can get new slats (sp) from a good ferreteria.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

Hello again,

We have just returned from Villa Joyoisa and I had a chance to examine the persiana in question when we were there. It would seem that the problem is that the cable used to connect both pulleys has become kinked and was actually partially trapped between the crank end pulley and its housing. Although I managed to release the cable, the blind is still stuck and won't move.
Does this mean that I will have to call in a repair man? If so, does anybody know of a reliable (and cost effective) repairer in the Villa area? If on the other hand some tips for DIY repair might be given I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Mike

Last edited by Mike Dickinson; Oct 2nd 2013 at 3:43 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2013, 3:56 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
We have those as well.

Ours have the wooden box above the inside of the window with a wooden panel for access.
Problem is they are very draughty and the design is such that it's difficult to get an airtight seal without sealing the panel completely and making the roller slats inaccessible and even then there is the hole where the cranker tape runs through.
Old Oct 3rd 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Mine have the same design and consequently occasionally the same problem.
There is an almost full length panel on the underside to gain access which slots into a groove in the main section to hold it in place.

The main problem is the constant drafts whenever it's windy as the panels are far from airtight.
Any suggestions as to the best way to reduce/eliminate the draft and still maintain accessibility ?
I use a decorators "caulk" to seal the gaps and it also stops the cover from rattling. As a bonus the caulk can be painted over to match the surrounding paint work, which makes it superior to silicone sealant.