Habla espanol?

Old May 3rd 2007, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

midget gem will become famous soon enough
Default Habla espanol?

Just wondering for those of you that live in Spain already, have you found it easy to pink up the beautiful Spanish language? I have GCSE Spanish, but from many years ago and can kind of hold a converstaion but not very confidently. I am wondering whether i should do a crash course? I have bought some instant spanish cd's but feel i need more?
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Habla espanol?

Originally Posted by midget gem
Just wondering for those of you that live in Spain already, have you found it easy to pink up the beautiful Spanish language? I have GCSE Spanish, but from many years ago and can kind of hold a converstaion but not very confidently. I am wondering whether i should do a crash course? I have bought some instant spanish cd's but feel i need more?
I would do more, the better you speak it the better you get on.
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

thanks rugbymatt, that's exactly the answer i thought i'd get! wheerabouts are you? ive been trying to read throught the posts to get "acquainted" with people better, but i can never remember! sorry
Old May 3rd 2007, 10:30 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

thanks rugbymatt, that's exactly the answer i thought i'd get! wheerabouts are you? ive been trying to read throught the posts to get "acquainted" with people better, but i can never remember! sorry
I'm actually in Britain but lived in Spain for years.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:34 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Habla Espanol?

Muy poco, pero espero mejorar pronto.

My problema is; I can make myself understood in Spanish reasonably well, same with written Spanish, but....I can't understand what my neighbours say to me as they speak inpenetrable Alpujarreno, which although officially Castilian has a really strong dialect like Geordie or Glaswegian. It has no consonants to speak of, especially s.

So, 'pescados' becomes 'peckow'.

We had some visitors from Madrid in the village last year. I understood them MUCH better!
Old May 4th 2007, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

[I can't understand what my neighbours say to me as they speak inpenetrable Alpujarreno, which although officially Castilian has a really strong dialect like Geordie or Glaswegian. It has no consonants to speak of, especially s.]

So, 'pescados' becomes 'peckow'.

SNAP!!
It's the same in Extremadura
Old May 4th 2007, 7:41 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Hola....I had five trips to Spain last year, and about five more over the previous year and a half while looking for then buying a house. From non existent Spanish I went to the usual stock phrases, I need, I want, do you have ? Armed with a dictionary, pen and paper, some mime skills and not being afraid to make a prat of myself I coped with having a pool built, etc etc etc.. However I then became frustrated.. I have Spanish friends who speak excellent English, but I wanted to talk in Spanish. I acquired the Michel Thomas CDs. These I found very helpful, along with a verb book. He teaches lots of trisk to use in the early stages. About a month ago I went on a basic level crash course at the Instituto de Cervantes en Londres. There are branches in the north of England and all over Spain. I feel this has been a turning point. The teachers were excellent. Yes a fair amount of grammar, but not in a dull pedantic way. Lots of interactive chat, questions and answers, written work. Understanding why certain things are said in a certain way. They then gave us free access to their online course for 15 weeks as a follow up. This is also great fun, and is available for around £60 I believe.
Yes I still have problems trying to undertand the extreme Andaluz accent, but managed a chat with the woman at Eroskis about cooking chipirones and the girl who cut my hair here in London, from Madrid with a beautiful clear accent.
On the course we did a lot of listening ( as there is in the on-line course too).
Understanding every word is impossible when we start.. one has to adopt a strategy of fishing for words..pescar para palabras. best of all.. my Spanish friends are impressed and thoug always eager to practice their English, seem to be really pleased that I am attempting to learn the language seriously. I feel empowered and feel that at even my, still very simple level, I could cope with a variety of situations.
Go for it.. I am off to spend an hour on line doing some revision.
Hasta Luego...PL
Old May 4th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

derek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura aboutderek500 has a spectacular aura about

Have a look at this free on line video course. Well worth the effort.

It's basically a Telenovela (Spanish soap opera with a limited number of episodes) made by the PBS station in Boston, WGBH. It's comprised of 52 episodes that get progressively harder.

http://www.learner.org/resources/ser...96576&pid=368#
Old May 4th 2007, 8:19 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by derek500

It's basically a Telenovela (Spanish soap opera with a limited number of episodes) made by the PBS station in Boston, WGBH. It's comprised of 52 episodes that get progressively harder.

that looks really useful
Old May 4th 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

that looks excellent thanks!! i will start immediately!! Soy trabajo mucho!! (am i right in thinking this means im a workaholic?)
Old May 4th 2007, 11:02 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

that looks excellent thanks!! i will start immediately!! Soy trabajo mucho!! (am i right in thinking this means im a workaholic?)
It may not be the most correct way of saying it, but the Spanish would understand what you meant, and that is the most important thing. If we communicate what we mean, then that is the intention of language at a simple level. Far better to be awkawrd but understood, than to try speaking it correctly and probably never saying a word. Soy is genereally used for states of permanence.. presumably your workaholic state is temporary. Soy Inglese etc. Though they use it for death, which is considered a non permanent condition!! I would say me gusta trabajar muchos, though even this may not be truly correct. Learn the gustar tense. Once you have it you will use it all the time....
Anyone know a free on line typing course...my typos get worse by the day...
Old May 4th 2007, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by derek500

Thanks Derek.. it does look fun and educational.. I can see myself getting hooked.
Old May 4th 2007, 11:35 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

You could try "Soy trabajolico"!! You never know, might work.
Old May 4th 2007, 11:38 am
Straw Man.

or you could try not being a workaholic, it saves the problems of the correct phrase needed and a potential heart attack.
Old May 4th 2007, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Derek - This is very helpfull, I can actually understand some of what they are saying - not a bit like 'Chiclanero'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.