H D Ready Tv

Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: H D Ready Tv

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
The Panasonic 42" over here was Eur 1399. I just bought a 37" Panasonic TH37PV60 for Eur 1099, having compared the pictures in the shop and taking into consideration the size of the room it seemed plasma was better. The LCD screens look really pixelly, especially in larger format.

I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not tbh as its so difficult comparing, but service is hot as its being delivered first thing in the morning
Hi Mitzyboy,

You done well. Thats about £750 and about what you would pay at the lowest price in UK at the moment. The 37 in is spoken of in the same awe as the 42 in so you should be on a winner.

I have seen a formula which relates screen size to room size but can't find it at the moment, but you do need a big room if you don't want to feel taken over by a 42 in.

One thing I have been told is that Plasma screens do not travel well so taking one from UK to CDL (even a new one still packed) is not a good idea.

Regards,

John.
</IMG>
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H D Ready Tv

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Mitzyboy,

You done well. Thats about £750 and about what you would pay at the lowest price in UK at the moment. The 37 in is spoken of in the same awe as the 42 in so you should be on a winner.

I have seen a formula which relates screen size to room size but can't find it at the moment, but you do need a big room if you don't want to feel taken over by a 42 in.

One thing I have been told is that Plasma screens do not travel well so taking one from UK to CDL (even a new one still packed) is not a good idea.

Regards,

John.
</IMG>
Hi, that was great value, i Agree pack it well.
I have heard that plasma's do not last as long as lcd, but then again i do not know the truth in that as well.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:55 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi, that was great value, i Agree pack it well.
I have heard that plasma's do not last as long as lcd, but then again i do not know the truth in that as well.
Oh I'm pleased it was a good deal, purely luck I promise you ... I heard plasma doesn't last but apparantly its around 30,000 hours which will do me. I hope from what I heard that the burn in has been sorted also.

So eveyone get down to Pineda Electrodomesticos whilst the deals still good
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I'm pleased it was a good deal, purely luck I promise you ... I heard plasma doesn't last but apparantly its around 30,000 hours which will do me. I hope from what I heard that the burn in has been sorted also.

So eveyone get down to Pineda Electrodomesticos whilst the deals still good
Hi Mitzyboy,

I read that plasma need regassing after about 16yrs normal use so is that 30,000 hrs. I think you will be OK.

The only other problem appears to be that they dont work as well over 9000 feet AOD but I should not think that will worry many people.

</IMG>
Old Jan 8th 2007, 10:40 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I hope you did your research. Just because a TV is labelled "HD ready" does not necessarily mean it can display the full picture resolution from a HD source.

I nearly bought a "HD compatibe" 42" plasma display on Amazon for $699 inclusing free shipping! Thinking it was too good to be true and knowing nothing of HD (presuming HD was just HD, right!). I did some research, its a mine field...

HD can be 1280 × 720 pixels or 1920 × 1080
you have 1080i or 1080p, and even my head spins

look at the two HD-TV's sizes shown below, both called HD, but notice the huge difference!

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
I have just bought a new hd ready tv.

Last edited by Pony; Jan 8th 2007 at 10:44 pm.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 12:31 am
BE Enthusiast

jonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nicejonsol is just really nice

The Panasonic 42" over here was Eur 1399. I just bought a 37" Panasonic TH37PV60 for Eur 1099, having compared the pictures in the shop and taking into consideration the size of the room it seemed plasma was better. The LCD screens look really pixelly, especially in larger format.

To be honest its a nightmare choosing. There was another English guy in there at the same time and he looked more and more confused as time went on, finally leaving the shop in a daze.

I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not tbh as its so difficult comparing, but service is hot as its being delivered first thing in the morning
Well Mitzyboy I have just done a quick sweep of the net and the cheapest quote ( in uk. ), for the model you bought is £924.00, ...up to £1299.00, so thats an excellant deal ! !
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:07 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mitzyboy,

I read that plasma need regassing after about 16yrs normal use so is that 30,000 hrs. I think you will be OK.

The only other problem appears to be that they dont work as well over 9000 feet AOD but I should not think that will worry many people.

</IMG>
When I got mine I went all over the net, it really gave me pains in the head, the more you look the more confusing.
I came up with the conclusion OK it may only last 30,000 hrs LOL, I have never had and used anything for 30,000 hours.
I think Gassing and burn in is a myth.
If I am still alive in 15 years I will post and let you know the problems I had.
The enjoyment we have had out of it so far, it has paid for it self already.
Sky and DVD are magic through it, we also have cable, some channels good some bad, but that is the crap service not the tv, it also picks up the mono Spanish channels really well.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:08 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to remember reading a review of TVs that said that the optimum distance from which to watch a TV is 4 times the diagonal. In other words you should sit 14 feet away from a 42" screen.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:16 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I seem to remember reading a review of TVs that said that the optimum distance from which to watch a TV is 4 times the diagonal. In other words you should sit 14 feet away from a 42" screen.

Thats about right Fred we sit about 4 to 5 mtrs away, that seems fine.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
... and when you consider how well the human eye can focus, you'll realise
that at those distances you can't see the "dots" that make up a normal
definition picture - let alone an HD picture.

So far as HD content goes, at the moment most of it is just normal
programmes that have been reformatted by the TV studios (Sky HD is showing
"Malcolm in the Middle", folowed by Buffy). So if it appears better, that's
only because of the processing that the studio have done.
This should change over the next several years.

The good news is that you'll get the full benefit of watching HD format
films on DVD -- provided of course you buy an HD DVD player and can get
HD format films.

Pete

Oh, and your laptop should be fine. One thing to look out for when buying
a lappy in spain (or any other country) is that all the commands will be in
spanish and the keyboard might be "funny" too.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pete_l
... and when you consider how well the human eye can focus, you'll realise
that at those distances you can't see the "dots" that make up a normal
definition picture - let alone an HD picture.

So far as HD content goes, at the moment most of it is just normal
programmes that have been reformatted by the TV studios (Sky HD is showing
"Malcolm in the Middle", folowed by Buffy). So if it appears better, that's
only because of the processing that the studio have done.
This should change over the next several years.

The good news is that you'll get the full benefit of watching HD format
films on DVD -- provided of course you buy an HD DVD player and can get
HD format films.

Pete

Oh, and your laptop should be fine. One thing to look out for when buying
a lappy in spain (or any other country) is that all the commands will be in
spanish and the keyboard might be "funny" too.
Thank's for that pete