H D Ready Tv

Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute
Default H D Ready Tv

Hi,
I have just bought a new hd ready tv. and a new laptop
Can anyone tell me if they work in spain, i know i should of not got one but the sales are just to good to resist.

But now i am thinking maybe it wont work. And with the laptop i am sure it will work but not 100%.

Any advice will be great
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:56 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: H D Ready Tv

Originally Posted by Miss Naughty
Hi,
I have just bought a new hd ready tv. and a new laptop
Can anyone tell me if they work in spain, i know i should of not got one but the sales are just to good to resist.

But now i am thinking maybe it wont work. And with the laptop i am sure it will work but not 100%.

Any advice will be great
Most new tv`s will work here, but you will have to wait for the HD channels ;-)
Laptop will be ok also, but why did you not buy them here ? (warrenty etc)
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Most new tv`s will work here, but you will have to wait for the HD channels ;-)
Laptop will be ok also, but why did you not buy them here ? (warrenty etc)
Hi, when you say i have to wait for the hd channels what does that mean?

I know now i should of waited but i went to the sales and i thought it would be cheaper to buy them here as i was told spain is very expensive for electrical goods.

Maybe i was hasty, thinking about it now.
Thanks for the info.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:30 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, when you say i have to wait for the hd channels what does that mean?

I know now i should of waited but i went to the sales and i thought it would be cheaper to buy them here as i was told spain is very expensive for electrical goods.

Maybe i was hasty, thinking about it now.
Thanks for the info.
I know sky do some HD channels but are there any others at the moment ?, dont think there are any in Spain unless you will have sky.
I bought a 42inch (wot r they) plasma for 1200€ a year or so ago.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
I know sky do some HD channels but are there any others at the moment ?, dont think there are any in Spain unless you will have sky.
I bought a 42inch (wot r they) plasma for 1200€ a year or so ago.
Hi in asda today they had a 42 inch plasma can not remember what make. that was 699.99 we got a lcd not 42 inch though.

we went to comet.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: H D Ready Tv

Hi, when you say i have to wait for the hd channels what does that mean? Maybe i was hasty, thinking about it now.
Thanks for the info.
Hi Miss Naughty,

Yes i think you probably were hasty. Your HD ready tv will not receive any HD signal in UK unless you subscribe to SKY HD which is very expensive and requires a new SKY HD box

IF the TV has a digital ("freeview") tuner built in you may be able to get some of the very few BBC programmes that are being transmitted in HD but that is about all unless you are a telewest cable subscriber. They have more choice but it costs.

I have not seen one post to say that it is possible to receive Sky HD in southern Spain but many to say that there are problems with reception of normal definition channels at certain times of day so you will really be at the cutting edge. If you buy the Sky HD box and take it to Spain with you, you will have to retain a way of paying and receiving post in UK or you may get cut off. My guess would be that you will require the biggest dish possible together with the best sensitive thingy in the middle and very good cabling to be in with any chance.

Do keep us informed because this was just what I was thinking of doing next year when the villa is ready, to be able to watch the sport from around the world and the English premier league.

Regards,

John.

</IMG></IMG>

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jan 8th 2007 at 1:50 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi Miss Naughty,

Yes i think you probably were hasty. Your HD ready tv will not receive any HD signal in UK unless you subscribe to SKY HD which is very expensive and requires a new SKY HD box

IF the TV has a digital ("freeview") tuner built in you may be able to get some of the very few BBC programmes that are being transmitted in HD but that is about all unless you are a telewest cable subscriber. They have more choice but it costs.

I have not seen one post to say that it is possible to receive Sky HD in southern Spain but many to say that there are problems with reception of normal definition channels at certain times of day so you will really be at the cutting edge. If you buy the Sky HD box and take it to Spain with you, you will have to retain a way of paying and receiving post in UK or you may get cut off. My guess would be that you will require the biggest dish possible together with the best sensitive thingy in the middle and very good cabling to be in with any chance.

Do keep us informed because this was just what I was thinking of doing next year when the villa is ready, to be able to watch the sport from around the world and the English premier league.

Regards,

John.

</IMG></IMG>
oh bugger:scared:
i will find out and keep you posted
knew i was hasty once i handed my bank card over :scared:
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:45 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

To get SKY HD you certainly do need a new box, which means they will make you take out a new 12 month contract, which means you will have to have your phone line connected for the duration of the contract ..... and of course if you are in Spain you can't. I'm not sure if the guys over here can supply the HD boxes yet, but it will cost you an extra £10 on top of everything else if they do and a wedge for the new box.

Having said that most plasmas and LCDs now are HD ready so it makes no odds really, its there if you ever get the chance.

They are more expensive over here for sure .... I've been researching them for a month or so and strangely enough I am off in 20 mins with money in hand to buy one. I still haven't decided plasma or LCD yet though (this will be an impulse thing) as info is most confusing. I figured you need an LCD with a refresh rate of 5 - 15 milliseconds to watch sport successfully, now imagine me explaining that to the shop assistant.

What make is your TV ... if its a big name make you may have a worldwide warrantee
Old Jan 8th 2007, 3:19 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
To get SKY HD you certainly do need a new box, which means they will make you take out a new 12 month contract, which means you will have to have your phone line connected for the duration of the contract ..... and of course if you are in Spain you can't. I'm not sure if the guys over here can supply the HD boxes yet, but it will cost you an extra £10 on top of everything else if they do and a wedge for the new box.

Having said that most plasmas and LCDs now are HD ready so it makes no odds really, its there if you ever get the chance.

They are more expensive over here for sure .... I've been researching them for a month or so and strangely enough I am off in 20 mins with money in hand to buy one. I still haven't decided plasma or LCD yet though (this will be an impulse thing) as info is most confusing. I figured you need an LCD with a refresh rate of 5 - 15 milliseconds to watch sport successfully, now imagine me explaining that to the shop assistant.

What make is your TV ... if its a big name make you may have a worldwide warrantee
How much are the HD plasma TV in the UK ?
Old Jan 8th 2007, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9
How much are the HD plasma TV in the UK ?
Hi gallerie9,

Curry's currently have the Panasonic 42" TH42... P for £899.99 and this is regarded by most mags as the Rolls Royce of plasma screens. So thats a benchmark. To add to Mitzys discussion on Plasma v LCD at current development LCD is equivalent or better up to 37" above that size Plasma seems to win but of course but all sorts of factors come in such as 1080i and refresh rates and of course true HD ready (with HDMI) and not one of the substitutes.

Regards,

John.

</IMG>
Old Jan 8th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi,
Just an update i called some tv people and apparently we will still be able to watch tv with our sky box, basically they were saying if you did not have a hd tv you could not watch the new sky hd box. However even though we have a hd tv it will play freeview and sky and as long as we have a large dish our system should work in spain
However how true that is i do not know.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Smile Re: H D Ready Tv

Hi,
Just an update i called some tv people and apparently we will still be able to watch tv with our sky box, basically they were saying if you did not have a hd tv you could not watch the new sky hd box. However even though we have a hd tv it will play freeview and sky and as long as we have a large dish our system should work in spain
However how true that is i do not know.
Hi Miss Naughty,

Yes you will be OK for low definition TV from your exsting sky box in Spain with the right dish and transponder but you may loose say Ch 4 after 6 in the evening. HD however is so cutting edge I do not know if it can be received even with the right UK kit as far south as CDL or CDS.

Regards,

John.
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi gallerie9,

Curry's currently have the Panasonic 42" TH42... P for £899.99 and this is regarded by most mags as the Rolls Royce of plasma screens. So thats a benchmark. To add to Mitzys discussion on Plasma v LCD at current development LCD is equivalent or better up to 37" above that size Plasma seems to win but of course but all sorts of factors come in such as 1080i and refresh rates and of course true HD ready (with HDMI) and not one of the substitutes.

Regards,

John.

</IMG>

The Panasonic 42" over here was Eur 1399. I just bought a 37" Panasonic TH37PV60 for Eur 1099, having compared the pictures in the shop and taking into consideration the size of the room it seemed plasma was better. The LCD screens look really pixelly, especially in larger format.

To be honest its a nightmare choosing. There was another English guy in there at the same time and he looked more and more confused as time went on, finally leaving the shop in a daze.

I'm not sure if I got a good deal or not tbh as its so difficult comparing, but service is hot as its being delivered first thing in the morning
Old Jan 8th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi Miss Naughty,

Yes you will be OK for low definition TV from your exsting sky box in Spain with the right dish and transponder but you may loose say Ch 4 after 6 in the evening. HD however is so cutting edge I do not know if it can be received even with the right UK kit as far south as CDL or CDS.

Regards,

John.
Hi,
i bought a sat kit with free to air channels, and that will with the right dish work in spain it was from b and q.
I actually dont even have channel 4 or 5 at the mo so does not matter.
God knowing how unlucky i am i bet it wont work. will have to try and sell it to someone coming back to the uk if it is not working
Old Jan 8th 2007, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

Hi miss naughty

If you want to mail me I will give you the deatils of a bloke who sorted me out when I got here ( for sky). I cant give you details on this board because of promotion etc etc and I dont want to get kicked off. I did quite a bit of research into how to get sky and I am happy to tell you how we did it. We are in El puerto, ( just up from Cadiz) and i know it depends on where you are as regards which dish you get. We have really good sky, and get all channels most of the time. We only loose channels if there is a bad storm. I know it depends on how the system is fitted and the bloke that did mine was excerlent, he was english and a competitive rate.
I personally think you made the right choice to buy before you came here. There is plenty of support in the expat network to help you if things go wrong.
I came here with two small children and my hubby in August and have found so many helpful and friendly people, from all nationanalilties
It cant be long till you get here now, you must be so excited. Have you sorted everything out......have you got removal sorted etc etc.

love

mary x x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.