Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

IT guy moving to Gib - accommodation question!

IT guy moving to Gib - accommodation question!

Old Sep 10th 2007, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

cropperuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face IT guy moving to Gib - accommodation question!

Hiya,

It has been my dream to work in Spain - I have always been looking at Madrid as I have Spanish friends there (and visited 8 times in 2 years), but I have applied for work in Gibraltar and been accepted - things have moved quickly and I'm on my way!

I am moving in the first week of October and would be grateful if anyone had any tips on agencies/rooms to rent.

I know most people live in La Linea and commute - this would be perfect for me so I can improve my Spanish (and chat about Torrente films) experience the Spanish culture.. and still earn a British salary (with a very good job tbh).

I've found it quite difficult to find a room in La Linea - I have a couple of contacts there who are trying to help, but I'm a bit nervous as the move date approaches.

If anyone has any help, please PM me or email me.

If you know of someone who has a room - I'm 25, a non-smoker and an avid Man Utd fan (sorry!)

If anyone has some links that would be great

also for more information on me you can try myspace.com/cropperuk

Gracias

Richard
Old Sep 11th 2007, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

Tinky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: IT guy moving to Gib - accommodation question!

Hi Cropper,

Congrats on the job

Your best bet on accomodation is to rent a week in Oceans Heights and then look for a flatshare when you are here. Plenty of estate agents in both Gib and La Linea an help you with flats, but not with flatshare. They tend to be advertised in the Friday Ad paper or on lamp posts near the border.

For short term let in Oceans Heights, contact Herald Travel on email; [email protected] or on phone +350 71250. Or Jade Travel on email [email protected] or phone +350 350 49364.

List of Gib agents

If you need more info, let me know

Tinky
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

KnockCollins will become famous soon enough

my husband works there but we live in Chiclana and he commutes but a girl he works with has just moved in to a shared house in a place called campamento, she's sharing with two young lads i think. Campamento is a village just outside la linea...

I'll mention your post to him, he's in work tomorrow so can ask her to get in touch if they need another house mate.

Good luck with the move.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:53 am
Just Joined

Thanks

I have had a productive day also...

i give you..

Tortilla con cerditas!

its spanish tortilla with bacon - my new invention

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/707/image005zd8.jpg

All I need now is una jara con mahou

As for accomodation I would be looking to walk into Gibraltar - gonna be working on Engineers Lane so I don't want to be too far away. If you can help that would be great. Feel free to PM me if you need more contact details.

Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

thanks

Please let me know if you find anything - I am planning to walk to Gib each day (takes 20mins i believe) so anything within that distance would be great

I can't wait for the move.. however it is a baking day in Abingdon and I'm currently sunbathing in the garden

I even made some Tortilla with bacon to get me in the spanish mood

Old Sep 11th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tinky
Hi Cropper,

Congrats on the job

Your best bet on accomodation is to rent a week in Oceans Heights and then look for a flatshare when you are here. Plenty of estate agents in both Gib and La Linea an help you with flats, but not with flatshare. They tend to be advertised in the Friday Ad paper or on lamp posts near the border.

For short term let in Oceans Heights, contact Herald Travel on email; [email protected] or on phone +350 71250. Or Jade Travel on email [email protected] or phone +350 350 49364.

List of Gib agents

If you need more info, let me know

Tinky

awesome advice tinky! thanks a million I've sent a couple of emails off
Old Sep 11th 2007, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

Tinky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cropperuk
awesome advice tinky! thanks a million I've sent a couple of emails off
No problem at all, our move was (and still is) made easier by some amazing help from others

Any questions, send me PM and I'll try and help To find anywhere to live, is easily done (work is much harder to come by)
Old Sep 19th 2007, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

ok i've secured a 1 bed flat for a very decent price (thanks to someone knowing the landlord) and company is helping me out too - i'll be on ocean heights for 2-3 months and this will give me time to find something better in La Linea.

Thanks to everyone for their help

I'm a bit nervous about the move but excited at the same time

I hope they have the man utd matches in the pubs over there ... in which case.. good luck all fellow reds for tonight
Old Sep 20th 2007, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

you can be sure that if there's anything with the colours red, white or blue associated with it, they'll be showing it in gib, fear not...

good luck with the move.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KnockCollins
you can be sure that if there's anything with the colours red, white or blue associated with it, they'll be showing it in gib, fear not...

good luck with the move.
thanks

can't wait to watch some Spanish football also - who is the nearest team? Cadiz? Is there any La Liga teams nearby?

I must admit I think everyone has been so helpful and friendly in aiding with the move and any questions - a bit shocked to be honest! It's awesome

Whats the winter like over there? I'm typical english - i.e. t-shirt in the cold, so I hope the weather isn't extreme

Looking forward to learning Spanish also, but i must admit it can get confusing with a few words. I was with a strict catholic family and got the word chicken mixed up with a very similar word I picked up from the 'Torrente' films - bit embarrassing.

Also calling my gf 'cerdita' like 'little piggy' in a loving way... just for fun of course.. i didn't realise it was the equivalent of a bit of a bit of a 'flusey' shall we say

I'm sure I'll battle through the problems of the language

When I'm in Gib I'll post back here to see if anyone fancies meeting for drinks and chat in La Linea - i owe you a lot
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

yep, Cadiz in one direction, and Malaga in the other. Cadiz were demoted from the premiership (whatever that's called here) but still a half decent club (look at me sounding like i know what i'm talking about...i clearly don't). My husband goes to see them play quite often, also Seville (Betis...i think...), and you get the big clubs down once a year for the some annual cup (i'm not much help am I?) but from what i gather, it's quite good footie....then again, it's footie so he'd watch the outer mongolian league if there was one.

Ooh i wonder if Jose Mourinho would be interested in a stint at sorting Cadiz out....mmm....

keep in touch.

C.
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

oh and cold? yes it does i'm afraid, particularly on 'the rock' - it's always a good 5 degrees cooler there than it is up this way, so i'd bring a woolly or eight, you may want to check your pad has heating (they often don't, it's more of a grin and bear the brief cold spell) but i'd recommend you get some sorted...

plus, those terraces can be mighty chilling in jan/feb....
Old Sep 20th 2007, 10:54 am
Just Joined

yeah i think I saw Cadiz win 3-2 the other week against Cordoba who are between Gib and Madrid I think. I think they had a bit of a mare of a season the premier. I do have a soft spot for Sevilla though and I hear its nice there - but this would be a one off if i travelled

I really don't mind the cold to be honest - it surely can't be as bad as England?

As for Maureen leaving Chelsea - bit sad for English football - I wasn't a fan of his (talks more than my grandad after a few glasses of wine), but hopefully Chelsea hit a stumbling block now so we can battle amongst Liverpool and Arsenal - I really do think Arsenal will be our rivals this season - see what happens

I'm trying to convince a few spanish friends to come over to Gib for work to help improve their english - i'll keep a look out once i'm over there.