Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Guests - Is it just me?

Guests - Is it just me?

Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:39 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guests - Is it just me?

when we first came here, we were told by some 'old hands' that there were only 2 types of guests

those who came with no money & expected you to pay for everything

& those who come with plenty & treat you to everything

we have since discovered a third type - those who come with enough for themselves - will contribute to 'housekeeping' if eating in - but want to go out every night & expect you to keep up with them, even though you have work/the kids have school/you can't afford to go out every night even if you wanted to!
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

So it´s not just me...... I also forgot the mess. Make yourself a bacon sandwich and leave the crumbs and bits of butter all over the workservice for me to clear up. Did suggest they got the bus to the beach etc but no Mum and Dad do a great taxi service.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:45 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
So it´s not just me...... I also forgot the mess. Make yourself a bacon sandwich and leave the crumbs and bits of butter all over the workservice for me to clear up. Did suggest they got the bus to the beach etc but no Mum and Dad do a great taxi service.
do they never learn to tidy up the kitchen

oh noooooooooo
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:50 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by lynnxa
do they never learn to tidy up the kitchen

oh noooooooooo
and have you looked under the bed - all the odd socks, pens you knew you had but could never find, and the other crumbs on unwashed plates.

Sorry I meant to say this is kids not visitors. After this thread I do not want visitors in Spain. May come and stay with some of you though, sounds like a good cheap holiday.

Last edited by CLR; Sep 26th 2009 at 2:54 am.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by CLR
and have you looked under the bed - all the odd socks, pens you knew you had but could never find, and the other crumbs on unwashed plates.
oh yeah

but my 2 are only 10 & 13 - so what worries me is that it NEVER changes

do they really never get any better
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
And the mug that had tea in it but when found it has turned into green mould! I think if it had just been a week it would have been fine but it was the two weeks that just did it, plus the fact that I bought in all this stuff from Morrisons veggie sausages, veggie burgers, something like falafar (3 pkts). Ended up buying expensive fish, all my cheddar went within a day and she hardly touched the Linda McCartney stuff and she took the falafar home with her.

Mind you the house does seem very quiet today.......yessss
Old Sep 26th 2009, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

oh yeah

NO! My son is 28! I do think there is a difference nowadays. I know it is changing the subject a bit and I sound like an old fart but you used to go to work at 15 or 16 and were expected to do your own washing etc and now we are in the age of the eternal student as parents we seem to run after our kids a lot more so they don´t seem to mature ever.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
NO! My son is 28! I do think there is a difference nowadays. I know it is changing the subject a bit and I sound like an old fart but you used to go to work at 15 or 16 and were expected to do your own washing etc and now we are in the age of the eternal student as parents we seem to run after our kids a lot more so they don´t seem to mature ever.
my kids are possibly the untidiest in the world

but they are both good cooks & help out a fair bit - but only with things they want to do............................
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:06 am
CLR
Forum Regular

CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

oh yeah

My 2 are 11 and 17. The older one is now ringing home complaining some of her roomates are partying everynight and leaving a mess. My response is yes its a bugger isn't it

The younger one is going the same way totally oblivious to mess - I have no idea how to get her to tidy up.
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

my kids are possibly the untidiest in the world

but they are both good cooks & help out a fair bit - but only with things they want to do............................
But who cleans up after them?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:09 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by CLR
My 2 are 11 and 17. The older one is now ringing home complaining some of her roomates are partying everynight and leaving a mess. My response is yes its a bugger isn't it

The younger one is going the same way totally oblivious to mess - I have no idea how to get her to tidy up.
our big thing is the laundry basket - why can't stuff go in it, rather than next to it on the floor?

they soon complain if they can't find any clean clothes

I went on a 'go slow' once - a whole week

they did improve for a while afterwards

I feel another go slow coming on
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:37 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

our big thing is the laundry basket - why can't stuff go in it, rather than next to it on the floor?

they soon complain if they can't find any clean clothes

I went on a 'go slow' once - a whole week

they did improve for a while afterwards

I feel another go slow coming on
Mine cant even get their dirty clothes anywhere near the laundry basket! They either take their clothes off by stepping out of them and leaving them right there on the floor, or they pull em off, swing em over their heads and throw em! Well thats what it looks like!

What I can never understand is why is it that once clothes are dirty they become "MY washing" to be put into "MY washing machine" and then "MY ironing" but when its all done, all clean, all ironed and put away they become "their" clothes again!??

Jo xxx
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:43 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
Mine cant even get their dirty clothes anywhere near the laundry basket! They either take their clothes off by stepping out of them and leaving them right there on the floor, or they pull em off, swing em over their heads and throw em! Well thats what it looks like!

What I can never understand is why is it that once clothes are dirty they become "MY washing" to be put into "MY washing machine" and then "MY ironing" but when its all done, all clean, all ironed and put away they become "their" clothes again!??

Jo xxx
in our house they only become 'theirs' when they're back in the wardrobe, too

I refused to move them off the dining table (where I put them all nice & ironed & folded) for several days

trouble is, they happily ate on their laps

I went 'home' to look after my brother & dad years ago, when my mum was in hospital (my db & I were both in our 20s)

my brother went to visit my mum as soon as she came round from the anaesthetic, to complain that I wasn't doing his washing

well, there was nothing in the basket

guess who got it in the neck?
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:47 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo

Jo xxx
Thank god, its not only me - I drew the curtains in my dd's room the other day and a sock fell down.

As for ironing gave up years ago - the only time I ever felt bad about this was when my youngest was at nursery and did a collage of irons cut out of catalogues - she did not know what they were

The last time I used one was to steam wallpaper of the walls, hubby tried to use it once and all the wallpaper adhesive came off on his trousers
Old Sep 26th 2009, 3:52 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by CLR
Thank god, its not only me - I drew the curtains in my dd's room the other day and a sock fell down.

As for ironing gave up years ago - the only time I ever felt bad about this was when my youngest was at nursery and did a collage of irons cut out of catalogues - she did not know what they were

The last time I used one was to steam wallpaper of the walls, hubby tried to use it once and all the wallpaper adhesive came off on his trousers
my OH learned many years ago that if he didn't want 'tramlines' in his shirt sleeves he'd better do them himself

both my girls are now learning to iron - but better than that they're learning the trick of folding things straight off the line

aren't we terrible mums?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.