Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters

Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters

Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Guardia Civil shooting in Gib waters

Originally Posted by agoreira
Spain ceded Gib to the British for perpetuity, we did the same with Menorca, so can we have Menorca back please? Or a straight swap?
Now I thought we had swapped Menorca for Florida, then those nasty Yanks booted us out.

However as some whish to turn the clocks back, which period in time do you fancy? if we could all agree then we could just revert to that date and everyone would be able to live happily everafter.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:15 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Now I thought we had swapped Menorca for Florida, then those nasty Yanks booted us out.

However as some whish to turn the clocks back, which period in time do you fancy? if we could all agree then we could just revert to that date and everyone would be able to live happily everafter.
Yup - New York back to the Indians - I expect they'll give the beads back.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Yup - New York back to the Indians - I expect they'll give the beads back.
Will we also get London Bridge back ??
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:09 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Ceuta and Melilla have been mentioned in this thread so as EMR probably knows as much about them as he knows about Gibraltar for his info here is a map of Spain's possessions along the coast of Morocco.

Peñón de Vélez de la Gomera was invaded by Moroccan protesters recently and in 2002, Isla del Perejil was invaded by the Moroccan army and navy and re-taken by Spanish marines a week later.

Ceuta, Melilla and all the Plazas de Soberania are claimed by Morocco.

Here also is a map of the territorial waters in the straits area. You will see that Gibraltar has a 3 mile limit while Spain has a 12 mile limit while Spain also claims a 12 mile limit for its disputed Moroccan exclave of Ceuta.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:14 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
Because it does form a part of the UK/NATO GCHQ systems and there are still too many people in the UK who think that it is 1955.
When Franco was in Power of course it should not have been handed back, remember that is the correct word back to its original owners.

How would you feel if the IOW had been lost to the Spanish in 1588 and they had somehow managed to keep it . Would you think that it was OK, of course not. IOW or Gib no real difference.
I imagine I'd feel the same way the Moroccans feel about the land the Spanish own just off their coast and on their own land.... and while we are at it, would you like to tell me just how close the Canaries are to Spain compared to Morocco?
Old Jul 5th 2013, 9:18 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I imagine I'd feel the same way the Moroccans feel about the land the Spanish own just off their coast and on their own land.... and while we are at it, would you like to tell me just how close the Canaries are to Spain compared to Morocco?
Put like that, it is the kettle calling the pot black.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 5:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK so the Channel islands are French.
Also if the French decide to enter the Thames estuary, Dover harbour or the Solent shooting at all and sundry it will be OK because in reality Britain is just a small island off the French coast and therefore must be part of France.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

On a slightly happier note,
I went to Gib yesterday by rental car. the queue to get on to the island took 45 mins (the car boiled as we entered the car park). Typical British day, grey and windy but 26C. Had Fish and chips for lunch, total for the meal 21,05 pounds, paid in Euros a whopping 29,47 (exchange rate 1.40) Sun came out in the afternoon, just in time to sit in the car for 1.5hrs getting off the rock while a few GdC stopped all non Spanish cars to look in the boot etc for stashes of fags,booze and overpriced perfume and gadgets.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 7:31 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

So instead of a Full English breakfast, it's Frogs Legs on toast from now on.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 7:33 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boissano
On a slightly happier note,
I went to Gib yesterday by rental car. the queue to get on to the island took 45 mins (the car boiled as we entered the car park). Typical British day, grey and windy but 26C. Had Fish and chips for lunch, total for the meal 21,05 pounds, paid in Euros a whopping 29,47 (exchange rate 1.40) Sun came out in the afternoon, just in time to sit in the car for 1.5hrs getting off the rock while a few GdC stopped all non Spanish cars to look in the boot etc for stashes of fags,booze and overpriced perfume and gadgets.
What Island ?
Old Jul 6th 2013, 7:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Nobody has mentioned Olivenza yet, about time the Spanish gave that back, although it's in Spain, Portugal has a good good claim to it.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/da...e_up_olivenaa/
I like the bit where Spain "first prohibiting teaching in Portuguese, then banning the language outright." Sounds about right for Spain, did much the same with Catalan.

Last edited by agoreira; Jul 6th 2013 at 7:50 am.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry DicK,
It had always made me think of it as an Island what with all the years of barricades etc
I noticed that Petrol costs more than in Spain (1.32Pounds +whatever exchange rate) and even the car park we used above BHS used an exchange rate of 1.53 ie 10Euros=6.50Pounds. They're not going to go broke like that until people that go there Hhhhmmm realize that the only thing that is cheaper are the fags. The last time we bought a bottle of Sambuca only to find that locally it was 20c cheaper (same make)
The vast majority of the cars coming and going to the rock were Spanish and at one point hundreds of horns were being sounded as "encouragement"
Old Jul 6th 2013, 8:16 am
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by agoreira
Nobody has mentioned Olivenza yet, about time the Spanish gave that back, although it's in Spain, Portugal has a good good claim to it.
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/da...e_up_olivenaa/
I like the bit where Spain "first prohibiting teaching in Portuguese, then banning the language outright." Sounds about right for Spain, did much the same with Catalan.
Interesting and similar to the Gibraltar situation in many ways.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 8:28 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

We took Gib, Menorca, Malta etc etc as a result of military action and conquest.there was not Voluntary giving of terrtory.
Old Jul 6th 2013, 8:34 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Spain should give up its enclaves in Morocco, The Canaries had no established Islamic population therefore no connection either geographic or cultural with Morocco honestely I have never met anyone who has been to Gib who lked the place other than those Brit expats who say they live in Spain but really lve for anythng with UK connections which Gib provides.
The channel Islands have nver been French , have not been under rule from Paris, were not taken by force from France.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.