Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Growing Raspberries in Spain

Growing Raspberries in Spain

Old Aug 6th 2010, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Growing Raspberries in Spain

I was wondering if it's possible to grow raspberries in Spain, and if so, what is the best way to go about it???

Can anyone advise please
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:14 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing Raspberries in Spain

It's not easy. Judging by the price you pay in the markets it must be well nigh impossible!

A lot depends on location and hight - they do not like high temperatures.

Where are you?
Old Aug 6th 2010, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point

Benissa on the coast Costa Blanca
Old Aug 6th 2010, 7:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I've grown them, but I found them to frankly not be worth the trouble.

Loganberries are a different matter. They are a raspberry blackberry cross, have good acidity and flavour and make fantastic jam. They also grow like a weed in sandy hot soil.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
I've grown them, but I found them to frankly not be worth the trouble.

Loganberries are a different matter. They are a raspberry blackberry cross, have good acidity and flavour and make fantastic jam. They also grow like a weed in sandy hot soil.
Can you buy them here? I tried to grow raspberries as it is my favourite fruit. Not a success. They shrivelled and died.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:42 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by polly.walker
I was wondering if it's possible to grow raspberries in Spain, and if so, what is the best way to go about it???

Can anyone advise please

Judging from the answers so far it is going to depend on which part of Spain you are asking about.
Here in Galicia it is not so hard.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 11:55 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I tried blackberries and Tayberries.

The blackberry burned out within a few months and the Tayberry is still there but almost no growth on it.

If you are in the hotter coastal regions I think it will be difficult unless you are 400m high.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Can you buy them here? I tried to grow raspberries as it is my favourite fruit. Not a success. They shrivelled and died.
We live in Valencia province and my husband has an orange grove a short walk from our village house. In May he showed me two rasberry canes full of fruit which had appeared for the first time and the fruit was very sweet. Perhaps they are just much earlier here. Perthshire in Scotland was famous for rasberries but I think they were harvested in August.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

I love raspberries but have find it very difficult to buy them locally (why I don't know when the ones I used to buy in the UK were often imported from Spain). The most reasonably priced ones I've seen were in Carrefour, Rincon de la Victoria, in June - I think they were 2€ per punnet. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven on a trip to Barcelona last year when raspberries were 1€ per punnet in La Boqueria - pity they don't travel well or I'd have bought half a dozen at least.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:09 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
We live in Valencia province and my husband has an orange grove a short walk from our village house. In May he showed me two rasberry canes full of fruit which had appeared for the first time and the fruit was very sweet. Perhaps they are just much earlier here. Perthshire in Scotland was famous for rasberries but I think they were harvested in August.
I have heard that strawberries are best at the far ends of their ranges. Maybe it's the same for raspberries?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:14 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
I tried blackberries and Tayberries.

The blackberry burned out within a few months and the Tayberry is still there but almost no growth on it.

If you are in the hotter coastal regions I think it will be difficult unless you are 400m high.
Well, I tried half a dozen blackberries almost all thornless. They all did well, grew like weeds, but the fruit, with one exception wasn't worth the trouble. The exception was one called Himalayan giant.

It grows slowly, has awful thorns and is a bit of a bugger, to put it mildly, but the fruit is sensational. It's no surprise to pick berries that are 4cm long and two in diameter. That's HUGE for blackberries. It has excellent flavour, good balance of sweetness and acidity and best of all, the central part that the fruit is formed on, the core, hulk, bone, call it what you will, is sweet and soft, so the whole fruit is edible.

Tayberries are just loganberries with thorns, to be honest. Why bother with that?
Old Aug 7th 2010, 3:15 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Come round this autumn and I'll give you a plant.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by bil
Tayberries are just loganberries with thorns, to be honest. Why bother with that?
Because
A) They didn't have any Loganberries and
B) Tayberries apparently are more tolerant of heat than Loganberries.

I'll just stay with our Mulberries which are amazing! 30kg from a 6 year old planting.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 4:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

This year I have planted 5 blackberries 5 loganberries and 5 firethorns along with a couple of raspberries. Don't know how well they will grow but the brambles etc were planted to frow up a chainlink fence, just to stop potential burglars cutting holes through it! To be frank I'm not expecting much from the raspberries, just too hot for them even though we are at altitude.
Old Aug 7th 2010, 5:43 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by Fred James
Because
A) They didn't have any Loganberries and
B) Tayberries apparently are more tolerant of heat than Loganberries.

I'll just stay with our Mulberries which are amazing! 30kg from a 6 year old planting.
Well, it's pretty hot where we are, and to be honest the loganberries did far better.

Mulberries do well? Excellent! I planted a tree a couple of years back, so I am looking forward to trying them. Are they self fertile, and how old/big are they before they fruit?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.