Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Growing Raspberries in Spain

Growing Raspberries in Spain

Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:25 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Growing Raspberries in Spain

Originally Posted by Fred James
In our local market the call the black ones brevas even if they are main crop one!

No wonder we all get confused!

As for buying trees, I bought a plum tree - the dark red variety. It produces one full sized plum every year - and it's yellow!
Yep. You just can't trust the labels all the time.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:54 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Originally Posted by bil
See what citrus they are before taking them. Lemons are a good tree to have, but make sure it's the variety that fruits all the year round.

Wrto nectarines and peaches. The Spanish garden centres etc seem to be very slapdash about varieties, and mostly the people there haven't a clue. I have tried for years to source a pure red nectarine, blood red juice, and possibly the nicest I have ever eaten. That I have tried to buy for 5 years, but each time I'm sold a pup. For example, last time got a Spanish friend to phone the head office, they told me the variety is called ruby, ordered some, but a year or two down the line when the fruited, the fruit was yellow and very second rate.

If you haven't tried them, try nisperos. They are well worth the space.
Unfortunately I've no choice except to accept 3 oranges (same type) & 1 lemon. Will be nice if they offer me 3 different types of oranges. What is nisperos?

Can you please translate this in Spanish - "please dig up all the rock before planting"? Thanks Bil.

I'm exhausted after digging 7 holes for the fruit trees. When the builder comes with the citrus I want to make sure that he digs up all the rocks before planting.

Planting soft fruits like raspberrries may be easier. Anyone with raspberries living in Rojales, wanting to swap for some plants please PM me.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:23 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Unfortunately I've no choice except to accept 3 oranges (same type) & 1 lemon. Will be nice if they offer me 3 different types of oranges. What is nisperos?

Can you please translate this in Spanish - "please dig up all the rock before planting"? Thanks Bil.

I'm exhausted after digging 7 holes for the fruit trees. When the builder comes with the citrus I want to make sure that he digs up all the rocks before planting.

Planting soft fruits like raspberrries may be easier. Anyone with raspberries living in Rojales, wanting to swap for some plants please PM me.

Off the top of my head, 'Quando cava el suelo para los arboles, puede recoger todos las piedras grandes?'

Someone can probably give you a more precise translation.

Be warned, this is a crap time to be planting. My advice would be to water morning and night, and above all shade the tree from direct sunlight, or your chances of success will be radically reduced, especially if the trees are the usual weak rooted ones. (ie have been put into that pot recently and don't have enough roots to hold the soil in the pot firmly around themselves.)

They need ideally to be planted not less than 5 metres apart, or they will grow into each other which will REALLY cut down on fruit production.

Nispero are a delightful tree/fruit. The tree is very hardy and is very typically Spanish. It is a loquat, a bit like a medlar, but much bigger and good to eat.
We had a poor crop this year, but the fruit was far superior to those on sale in the markets.

Find a Spanish friend and beg a few off them next year, but as I say in your shoes, I would plant one tree. So far mine have failed to have any problems (that's asking for it, isn't it?) whereas almost every other tree has had at least one problem.

Don't ever plant azufaifos (?) without trying them first. We did because everyone here raved about them. I assume that's because they are all masochists. The tree is as thorny as anything with curved thorns that make it incredibly affectionate as soon as you touch it. The fruit is like a tiny apple, with a cherry stone in the middle. When ripe it is dry and almost tasteless, with brown blotches on the skin that make it look diseased.

In taste tests, I rated it marginally more attractive than eating my own toenails.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

Thanks Bil.
My neighbors think it's OK to plant them now though I wanted to wait. These are 1 year old trees not like the builders' which are half the size.

I've them 2 meters apart which I think is ample. I think my neighbors are overcrowding theirs.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:18 am
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
Thanks Bil.
My neighbors think it's OK to plant them now though I wanted to wait. These are 1 year old trees not like the builders' which are half the size.

I've them 2 meters apart which I think is ample. I think my neighbors are overcrowding theirs.
OK, but bear in mind what I say. If you get a drying wind and a hot, sunny day, you will find that their root systems just can't supply the tree with enough water for the leaves.

As regards two metres apart, bear in mind that they will grow. 5 metres apart gives a metre gap between each tree and allows the tree to grow up to 4 metres in diameter. I certainly wouldn't go below 4 metres apart, as a three metre diameter tree isn't all that big.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 10:29 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you on that bil - I can't think of any trees that you could plant 2 metres apart - apart from a hedge!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

I agree with you about the Nectarines/Peaches. I have a lovely Nectarine that crops really well. I have now given up on it as I have yet to pick a fruit that isn't full of flies! A fine net over it might help but I have had no luck with sprays.

We have a black fig which does really well and it can be kept in check with heavy pruning.

I am confused about what you say about Brevas. As far as I know a Breva is just the first crop of figs that grow on the old wood - the second crop grow on new growth. We get a few Brevas in June - one was 450g this year but the main crop is huge and it is going strong at the moment.

In Andalucia they always called the white figs brevas even though they are usually later than the black ones. A friend of ours in Oliva had 54 fig trees and about 8 different types of both black and white with a season from August to October.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:31 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Well I live in Andalucia and where we are the black ones, irrespective of season are called Brevas. We rarely see the white ones in the markets.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Well I live in Andalucia and where we are the black ones, irrespective of season are called Brevas. We rarely see the white ones in the markets.

I lived in Alhaurin el Grande in 1963 and never knew there was such a thing as a white fig (very pale green) until then. Where I live now there are loads of black figs and only one white fig tree which is about a month later than the black ones but the owner and his family pick the lot the first day. Like you I've never seen them in the shops or market.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 6:11 pm

We had one initially but the builders buried half of the trunk and it didn't last for more than a year.

Lovely green figs, a lot smaller than the black ones but I preferred them, especially eaten straight off the tree.

Thinking about that maybe it's time I planted a new one!
Old Aug 13th 2010, 7:29 pm
bil
Banned

Trust my trees to be arse about face. We have had the first crop of green figs, we are half way thru the second crop of greensm and the blacks are just coming ripe.