Granada

Old Sep 4th 2017, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Granada

Just back from my second trip there, with my lady friend who is from there. I am keen to give it a shot in the new year, but no idea where or how I'm going to get a job...

I'm learning Spanish and speak some other languages too, so maybe that might help, what with the number of tourists there.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by criodain
Just back from my second trip there, with my lady friend who is from there. I am keen to give it a shot in the new year, but no idea where or how I'm going to get a job...

I'm learning Spanish and speak some other languages too, so maybe that might help, what with the number of tourists there.
Don't forget that the area still has one of the highest unemployment rates, so there won't be too much work. You could try work from home if you speak other languages.
Old Sep 5th 2017, 8:53 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Don't forget that the area still has one of the highest unemployment rates, so there won't be too much work. You could try work from home if you speak other languages.
That's the nut I'm trying to crack at the moment. Trying to find some good websites to research.

I heard a few foreigners work with North Gate, but don't know much else about them apart from some basic research.

Last edited by criodain; Sep 5th 2017 at 9:11 am.
Old Oct 22nd 2017, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Well, it's getting real now. What seemed like well into the future, is going to happen around March time, so I'm looking again at work opportunities.
I think I'll just have to take the plunge, move and see what happens.
In the meantime, the least I can do is sign up for a TEFL course. No guarantees there either of course, and it's expensive to get a decent cert, but at least it would be another option open to me.
I'm also looking at remote work opportunities. That would really help.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Well, it's getting real now. What seemed like well into the future, is going to happen around March time...
I have known many people who have worked for Northgate. Mostly telesales. They seem to have a very high staff turnover. Of all the British people I know who have worked for them, just one remains, but has gone through various departments and now works as a debt collector.

As far as teaching English goes, there is always plenty of work at all levels. However, it is low paid compared to other cities in Spain. This is relative of course, you can live in Granada on very little. Rents are very good value (room in shared house from as little as €100/month. Studio appartments in the centre from just €240/month).

Easter happens at the end of March next year. Semana Santa is huge in Granada. The population booms for the week. Logistically, getting around town is a nightmare, and high demand for accommodation bumps prices. You would be extremely lucky to get a room on the week. Book well in advance, and if you use AirBnB, make sure they aren't going to try and raise the price after you have booked.

As far as finding work teaching English goes; late August/early September is main recruitment time for the language schools if you want contract work. From May through the summer, the colleges aren't interested. You can find your own work posting flyers around town, or just spreading word around bars and cafeterias that are popular meeting points for intercambios.

Contract pay is usually between €9 and €11 per hour. Most colleges will guarantee 20 hours/week on contract. If you have a TEFL qualification, or similar, and do your groundwork, you will have no problem picking up work. Many colleges only like to see a university degree from the UK, and a little experience. Bare in mind that you have to prepare classes, and mark course work - this is in your own time, and not paid by contract/hour.

If you are fluent in Spanish (or, any other language), then written translation via the internet is in high demand. Do a Google search to find sites for freelancers.

Granada was my base for 15 years. I am an artist. I finally left this year. As much as I love the city I just got fed up with the subsistence living. I always had to travel to make any decent cash (and enjoyed travelling anyway).

It is a very beautiful place to live, but IME it is the most difficult city in Spain in which to make good money. So many people live there surviving day to day on very little. However, most are happy doing that. You have to be prepared to make certain financial sacrifices to enjoy life there. It takes a bit of adjusting to, but I would still say it is most definitely worth it.

Good look with everything.

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Oct 23rd 2017 at 2:21 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheLostPhotographer
I have known many people who have worked for Northgate. Mostly telesales. They seem to have a very high staff turnover. Of all the British people I know who have worked for them, just one remains, but has gone through various departments and now works as a debt collector.

As far as teaching English goes, there is always plenty of work at all levels. However, it is low paid compared to other cities in Spain. This is relative of course, you can live in Granada on very little. Rents are very good value (room in shared house from as little as €100/month. Studio appartments in the centre from just €240/month).

Easter happens at the end of March next year. Semana Santa is huge in Granada. The population booms for the week. Logistically, getting around town is a nightmare, and high demand for accommodation bumps prices. You would be extremely lucky to get a room on the week. Book well in advance, and if you use AirBnB, make sure they aren't going to try and raise the price after you have booked.

As far as finding work teaching English goes; late August/early September is main recruitment time for the language schools if you want contract work. From May through the summer, the colleges aren't interested. You can find your own work posting flyers around town, or just spreading word around bars and cafeterias that are popular meeting points for intercambios.

Contract pay is usually between €9 and €11 per hour. Most colleges will guarantee 20 hours/week on contract. If you have a TEFL qualification, or similar, and do your groundwork, you will have no problem picking up work. Many colleges only like to see a university degree from the UK, and a little experience. Bare in mind that you have to prepare classes, and mark course work - this is in your own time, and not paid by contract/hour.

If you are fluent in Spanish (or, any other language), then written translation via the internet is in high demand. Do a Google search to find sites for freelancers.

Granada was my base for 15 years. I am an artist. I finally left this year. As much as I love the city I just got fed up with the subsistence living. I always had to travel to make any decent cash (and enjoyed travelling anyway).

It is a very beautiful place to live, but IME it is the most difficult city in Spain in which to make good money. So many people live there surviving day to day on very little. However, most are happy doing that. You have to be prepared to make certain financial sacrifices to enjoy life there. It takes a bit of adjusting to, but I would still say it is most definitely worth it.

Good look with everything.
One other thing to consider is that while people might be happy to live day to day on very little, it's just gonna get worse. Especially for my generation (including OP's) contract pay might pay now in a certain location but when you reach retirement it might be a shock. While Spanish pensions used to be pretty decent a lot is changing and the little you get now will even be less later on. There seems to be more attractive locations in Spain where you can at least earn more, live OK and invest that little more in a private pension.
Old Oct 23rd 2017, 7:08 pm
Forum Regular

I used to teach English years ago and have the old uni degree behind me from Ireland, not that it should automatically entitle me to a job or anything.
I'm looking into doing what I'm doing now remotely, or in a freelance capacity, but it's not an easy thing to nail down.
The advantage of going there is that I wouldn't have to worry about rent or accommodation initially. That would help I'm sure.
The one thing putting me off going is the whole "getting by" thing. I've done that before. I've gotten by. I've donje the subsistence living thing.
It would be nice to be able to save a little bit even, and I'm aware that maybe the south of Spain isn't the place to go to do that!
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Also, and this is not meant as an insult, as I have been there myself, but don’t artists struggle to make a living anywhere these days?
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Also, and this is not meant as an insult, as I have been there myself, but don’t artists struggle to make a living anywhere these days?
I am possibly an exception. I am one of those artists who are prepared to work. I also know how to sell - a skill fundamentally much more important than your artistic ability.

But, yep - you don't do it for the money.