Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute
Default Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

We have flown all around the world, especially over the last 15years when security levels have heightened, with many major airlines and, thusfar, have never had locks removed - until our return via EasyJet from Gatwick to Alicante a few weeks ago.

Of course, EasyJet simply quote their T's & C's - denying responsibility for all the usual accoutrements - feet, handles, locks etc. etc..

We accepted the risk that the locks, handles, feet etc. may beaccidentally damaged – but not deliberately removed without our prior knowledgeor consent.

If there is any genuine reason why someone requires access toour cases, e.g. something unusual appears on an X-ray scan which requiresinvestigation, surely we should be notified over the airport P.A. system andgiven the opportunity to be present when our cases are opened, instead of juststealing our locks without our knowledge.

As a point of principle, I'm now pursuing Gatwick airport who only decided to investigate when I sent a post via Facebook saying I intend to expose this outrageous behaviour to as many people as possible as it is an infringement of our rights.

I'm interested to know how prevalent this problem is.

Last edited by Rosemary; Oct 24th 2017 at 2:26 pm. Reason: Please use the standard font etc
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Suitcase locks removed by airport staff.

I have always understood that if you do not use airport accessible locks you have no rights if non compliant locks are forcibly opened.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Loco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond reputeLoco Pedro has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
I have always understood that if you do not use airport accessible locks you have no rights if non compliant locks are forcibly opened.

I was unaware of that.
Please tell me where I will find that stipulation.
Neither EasyJet nor Gatwick have stated that to me despite several opportunities to dismiss the claim so simply.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loco Pedro
We have flown all around the world, especially over the last 15years when security levels have heightened, with many major airlines and, thusfar, have never had locks removed - until our return via EasyJet from Gatwick to Alicante a few weeks ago.

Of course, EasyJet simply quote their T's & C's - denying responsibility for all the usual accoutrements - feet, handles, locks etc. etc..

We accepted the risk that the locks, handles, feet etc. may beaccidentally damaged – but not deliberately removed without our prior knowledgeor consent.

If there is any genuine reason why someone requires access toour cases, e.g. something unusual appears on an X-ray scan which requiresinvestigation, surely we should be notified over the airport P.A. system andgiven the opportunity to be present when our cases are opened, instead of juststealing our locks without our knowledge. .....
I don't know where you got that idea? Have you ever heard someone being called over the PA to come and open their case or bag?

As a matter of security there airport security baggage screener ls have a right to open your luggage. When it happens there is usually a piece of paper inside to tell them your bag was opened and searched.

Also as time goes by there are different things that x-ray security will be looking for, and what they are looking for varies from country to country, so some thing that has never caused concern previously could cause concerns today, and lead to your bag being opened today.

We just use buckle/clip straps to stop a suitcase breaking open, but adding a padlock will just lead to it being cut open if security want to open the suitcase.
.... As a point of principle, I'm now pursuing Gatwick airport who only decided to investigate when I sent a post via Facebook saying I intend to expose this outrageous behaviour to as many people as possible as it is an infringement of our rights. ....

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 24th 2017 at 2:53 pm.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Found this information from US, so would believe they are stricter than we'd be.

It is a myth that you can only use the TSA approved padlocks to lock your suitcase. You can most certainly use your own locks to keep your baggage secure. When you check your luggage, the TSA agent can request to open it if there is any concern. You will have to provide the agent with the proper keys. After they have found that there is no threat, the bag can continue toward the plane. If the case is flagged later in the process, then the TSA will have to break your lock (assuming you have provided yourself with the proper security). Once your lock is broken, and the suitcase was been screened, it will be closed and no new lock will be added
Old Oct 24th 2017, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond reputeEric S has a reputation beyond repute

Many years ago, before all the heightened security at airports, I read a magazine article about how easy it was for airport workers to get into your luggage to steal things if they wanted to -- even if there they were locked. Ever since then, I have not bothered to lock my suitcases. I just make sure not to put any valuables in them.

- Eric S.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:19 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Did you really expect them to delay baggage handling for a flight waiting for you to provide a key?

I have always thought locking a case would be worse than useless. It could make security think you may have something to hide and select you bag for search.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond reputelurchio has a reputation beyond repute

If it was done by an Airport OFFICIAL, Customs and Excise or anyone using their official powers to open the case when they had reasonable grounds for doing so (could be a routine X ray examination, even an indication given by a trained dog, or intelligence received) then you should have received or found in an obvious place a record of the search and the contact details etc.of the Agency should you wish to claim for the damage.Thats the proper and professional way and embedded in Law. Was there any obvious signs that the bag had been searched or anything missing? If no,could just be damaged by a ham fisted handler? What quality was the lock? Could an impact have opened and dislodged it?
Old Oct 24th 2017, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Opinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond reputeOpinion has a reputation beyond repute

Had my bag cut open once when travelling to the US. Didn't use TSA approved locks. My bad, really. (Because of it my bag missed my flight and they did offer compensation and couriered my bag to me.) I'd rather they cut open a bag or cut a lock when they were suspicious instead of delaying every flight or worse, there being a serious incident. The whole putting it out over the PA is an absolute joke.
Old Oct 24th 2017, 8:07 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I once went through the airport scanner with a couple of pomegranates in my hand luggage; all of a sudden two armed guards appeared and I was asked what was in the case! When they discovered they weren't bombs there was laughter all around! The X-ray machine is not perfect and doesn't like certain things - so cases have to be opened.

Davexf
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't know where you got that idea? Have you ever heard someone being called over the PA to come and open their case or bag?

As a matter of security there airport security baggage screener ls have a right to open your luggage. When it happens there is usually a piece of paper inside to tell them your bag was opened and searched.

Also as time goes by there are different things that x-ray security will be looking for, and what they are looking for varies from country to country, so some thing that has never caused concern previously could cause concerns today, and lead to your bag being opened today.

We just use buckle/clip straps to stop a suitcase breaking open, but adding a padlock will just lead to it being cut open if security want to open the suitcase.

No, but I've heard plenty of people being called over the airport P.A.. The reason is never announced.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
Did you really expect them to delay baggage handling for a flight waiting for you to provide a key?

I have always thought locking a case would be worse than useless. It could make security think you may have something to hide and select you bag for search.

Its not the security staff that concern me. Its the petty thieves in baggage handling.

Gatwick have now stated:
"All baggage is screened whilst going through the baggage area. This is completed by a Security Company acting on behalf of the airlines. If anything suspicious is found on an image the passenger would be located and asked to attend to view a search."
They are investigating through the ground handling agents responsible.

Last edited by Loco Pedro; Oct 25th 2017 at 7:32 am.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lurchio
If it was done by an Airport OFFICIAL, Customs and Excise or anyone using their official powers to open the case when they had reasonable grounds for doing so (could be a routine X ray examination, even an indication given by a trained dog, or intelligence received) then you should have received or found in an obvious place a record of the search and the contact details etc.of the Agency should you wish to claim for the damage.Thats the proper and professional way and embedded in Law. Was there any obvious signs that the bag had been searched or anything missing? If no,could just be damaged by a ham fisted handler? What quality was the lock? Could an impact have opened and dislodged it?

Both locks from 2 suitcases ?!
Please, be sensible.
No other damage, or signs of a search. But I imagine they're very careful about how they do it.
Not sure if anything has been taken - but then I'm an old fart with poor memory.
Due to our delayed departure, Gatwick had our cases for about 4 hours.
Alicante had them for about 15 minutes.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the security staff that concern me. Its the petty thieves in baggage handling.
Stealing from baggage handling is a bit more than petty. You should never put valuables in to hold luggage as my daughter found at a few years ago when she had a valuable diamond cross pendant stolen at Heathrow.
Old Oct 25th 2017, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond reputeMark604 has a reputation beyond repute

I never lock my bags and never keep anything of any value in there anyway, nor do I travel with expensive looking bags. I'll put a strap round it/them, but that is about it.
I've always wondered if a thief would tend to open the locked expensive ones anyway rather than my beat up and unlocked thing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.