Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

google chromecast

google chromecast

Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Manclass is an unknown quantity at this point
Default google chromecast

Is anybody using Google chomecast to watch TV? Is it as easy to set up and use as it looks on the adverts, and how sucessful is it? Please bear in mind that I am not a technical person so I am looking for an easy option. Thank you.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 6:41 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: google chromecast

Hola

Google Chromecast simply replaces a piece of wire from your computer to the TV. If you are viewing TV on your computer then you can "cast" it onto the TV.

I have one and rarely use it as I bought an Android box quite cheaply; my thought was that using the PC to view TV will "wear the PC out faster".

But Chromecast works right out of the box - very simple

Davexf
Old Apr 24th 2014, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Thank you for your reply Dave, just to verify, if I am watching BBC using Filmon on my tablet, with a chromecast dongel I will be then able to view it on my TV. ?
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

discoman is an unknown quantity at this point

if I am watching BBC using Filmon on my tablet, with a chromecast dongel I will be then able to view it on my TV. ?
Yes, but, you¡'ll see that google state it is a beta link suggesting it ain't quite sorted and ready to rock 'n roll....and in my case, with all you are using, it stuttered a lot with unsync'ed speech and with a 1 second delay between your tablet and the TV.

You could say it was OK (ish) for 30 quid, but I say it ain't good enough!!!
Old Apr 24th 2014, 12:39 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manclass
Thank you for your reply Dave, just to verify, if I am watching BBC using Filmon on my tablet, with a chromecast dongel I will be then able to view it on my TV. ?
Only if you are watching it in your Chrome browser. The Filmon app doesn't yet support Chromecast. BBC iPlayer is supported, but the other UK players are not yet supported.

Basically, it will mirror whatever is being shown in the Chrome browser or from any app that supports Chromecast.

List here https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrom...cast/apps.html

No doubt the Filmon app will eventually support it - it does support Apple Airplay.
Old Apr 24th 2014, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for your replies, I myself have an andriod box but need something else my house next door which is rented out for holiday lets.. I was thinking of another andriod box but think it would be a bit difficult to navigate for anybody coming from the UK for a weeks holiday, chromecast seemed to be a good alternative for watching UK tv with a tablet, but looks like this isn't the answer, any suggestions welcome.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

discoman is an unknown quantity at this point

We also rent an apartment which has a WiFi link to our own accommodation and, as most guests theses days seem to bring an iPhone iPad or similar, we suggest they use the WiFi to watch TV using Filmon.
Old Apr 25th 2014, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Google Chromecast simply replaces a piece of wire from your computer to the TV. If you are viewing TV on your computer then you can "cast" it onto the TV.

Davexf
Strictly speaking, this is incorrect. The chromecast receives a command from the PC telling it what to stream. The streaming is done by the chromecast, and the PC in question can even be turned off and thrown out of the window and streaming will continue.

For this reason, Chromecast will still be subject to the same country-specific blocks as any PC. Services which work in spain and support Chromecast will work. If they don't support it, you can use "Tab Casting", but this is a bit buggy, lots of delays and bad sync'd audio etc. Works for some though.

If you use something like Hola to get around the IP blocks, your chromecast will still not work, as it isn't capable of using those services itself.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by susique
Strictly speaking, this is incorrect. The chromecast receives a command from the PC telling it what to stream. The streaming is done by the chromecast, and the PC in question can even be turned off and thrown out of the window and streaming will continue.

For this reason, Chromecast will still be subject to the same country-specific blocks as any PC. Services which work in spain and support Chromecast will work. If they don't support it, you can use "Tab Casting", but this is a bit buggy, lots of delays and bad sync'd audio etc. Works for some though.

If you use something like Hola to get around the IP blocks, your chromecast will still not work, as it isn't capable of using those services itself.
Regarding above its not 'wot I rote' - that was my son. I know nothing......
Old Apr 26th 2014, 9:52 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susique
Regarding above its not 'wot I rote' - that was my son. I know nothing......
Hola

Don´t worry - the simplistic answer is what most forum members will understand. Your son is the sort of guy to answer specific questions as to why Chromecast doesn´t work when........

Having working in computers from 1968, and having had to translate users requests into computer systems, I always use "the lowest level I think will be understood". I refuse to be a nerd now I´m retired - but I still like playing computers LOL.

Davexf