British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Goodbye Sky TV (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/goodbye-sky-tv-779691/)

EsuriJohn Jan 8th 2013 6:50 am

Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by MikeJ (Post 10470647)
On Costa Esuri I think its about adequete for email and a bit of net browsing certainly not much better than the old dial up.

That depends if you are one of the lucky ones with a land line or one of those who has a non landline alternative. Some landlines support more than 10 mbs whereas line of sight seems to be stuck at 1 mbs up and down. Don't know what you can get on a dongle at the moment but I think it is still 3G.

Dxf Jan 8th 2013 1:52 pm

Hi

My "line of sight" Wimax can get 10Mbs and I have had 6Mbs on my dongle in Seville! But that said, if everyone uses the service for downloading TV, then bandwidth will be tight.

Davexf

EsuriJohn Jan 8th 2013 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dxf (Post 10471399)
Hi

My "line of sight" Wimax can get 10Mbs and I have had 6Mbs on my dongle in Seville! But that said, if everyone uses the service for downloading TV, then bandwidth will be tight.

Davexf

I have Iberbanda line of sight and I get 1mbs up and down. The package costs €42per month for any faster speed the cost spiral but we get what it says on the tin and 3 hundred mins to UK so not that bad.

Mitzyboy Jan 8th 2013 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by John & Kath (Post 10471551)
I have Iberbanda line of sight and I get 1mbs up and down. The package costs €42per month for any faster speed the cost spiral but we get what it says on the tin and 3 hundred mins to UK so not that bad.

I have aeromax at 2mb and pay just over 30 a month for internet and phone

Fred James Jan 8th 2013 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Isitworthatry (Post 10470695)
Hi we use a usb dongle that connects you through to ITV player and BBC player, its a fairly new product, seems to work great for the catch up TV.
I think this is shipped anywhere, its available from www.computers-spain.com
Hope this helps with TV problem

It looks interesting but it does not provide an Internet connection, it relies on your existing connection so their claims for you be able to get UK TV depend entirely on the speed of what you have already got.

All it seems to do is provide a proxy server accessed via the dongle but of course you can do that for free with Expat Shield.

They are also using the name and logo of TVCatchup which is an entirely unconnected UK provider of IPTV and which, incidentally you will almost certainly be blocked from receiving even with a good paid for VPN service.

EsuriJohn Jan 8th 2013 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 10471649)
I have aeromax at 2mb and pay just over 30 a month for internet and phone

But we are at the end of the line takes a while for competition to get this far!

Uncle Buck Jan 12th 2013 8:02 am

Can anyone update on the Sky TV channels. Are we still without BBC & ITV etc. Also is there anyway around it by putting up a bigger dish or better receiver to pick them up?

MikeCol Jan 12th 2013 8:30 am

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck (Post 10478574)
Can anyone update on the Sky TV channels. Are we still without BBC & ITV etc. Also is there anyway around it by putting up a bigger dish or better receiver to pick them up?

As far as things go here we have only lost the 5, 5* & 5USA channels which is the same as everyone else I believe. We are not due to lose BBC, ITV, & Channel 4 until the Summer (according to the BBC) and so far the only way we know to receive them is by streaming them through our PC. Regards Bryony

EsuriJohn Jan 12th 2013 10:37 am

It would have to be a very big dish 2.4 m is the lowest estimate and where would you put that?

guesswork Jan 12th 2013 1:48 pm

We have just lost the C5 as Bryony said

Uncle Buck Jan 12th 2013 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by guesswork (Post 10478953)
We have just lost the C5 as Bryony said

Not too bad then, I thought they had all gone off. So will a 2.4m dish stop them disappearing in the summer?

EsuriJohn Jan 12th 2013 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck (Post 10478967)
Not too bad then, I thought they had all gone off. So will a 2.4m dish stop them disappearing in the summer?

Nobody knows until it happens but it is estimated the cost of the dish alone is € 500 then you would have to construct a base and it might not be big enough.

Uncle Buck Jan 13th 2013 1:21 pm

Luckily for us we live in a Rago apartment block where we have more roof space and other owners to share the costs of a new dish, if that is the answer:fingerscrossed:

tommy.irene Jan 14th 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Uncle Buck (Post 10480362)
Luckily for us we live in a Rago apartment block where we have more roof space and other owners to share the costs of a new dish, if that is the answer:fingerscrossed:

Yes the bigger the dish the more channels you get from UK. you can use a freesat box if you want..Most free TV you can get now from Filmon.com

MEL & JOHN Jan 15th 2013 7:15 am

All too technical for me, I am struggling with the problem of getting Sky "on demand" at home so no use me chipping in on solutions. I would say that however that this is resolved within the community as a whole; it should be discussed and a decision made together. This will hopefully avoid too many ugly dishes although it will need volunteers to site the dish. Also could reduce costs if several people approach the supplier/server to install. I realise that not all CE property owners are within a community but if near enough could they "latch on" - does that make sense ? See....I know nothing !

Mel