Goodbye Sky TV

Old Jan 8th 2014, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goodbye Sky TV

Originally Posted by andyrich666
And he has got a Gaff in Portugal, he tells us enough times !

Are you home now, you got back ok ?
Thanks Andy......yes back now. Struggling to get VPN Hide My Arse to stay on my new ipad. Grrr keeps switching itself off.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:15 pm
Banned

BAT7311 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default goodbye goodbye wipe that tear from your eye..

Originally Posted by The Guy
Sky News on UK TV is subscription free - and easily available - on the European beam.
And it is also available on Astra 19 - as Sky News International - again for free.
And on many other satellites around the work.

So it is not unexpected Sky News get international viewers.

To coin a phrase - Sky do not broadcast BBC or ITV channels (maybe ITV2HD, ITV3HD, ITV4HD), but BBC and ITV (and many others) broadcast their own channels totally independent of Sky.
No card is require for those FTA channels - but a "non subscription free to view card is required for the handful of other channels on Freesat From Sky -like Motors TV, LFCTV)
Just because they appear on the Sky Guide goes not make them Sky channels.

Sky will not "switch off the signals". All Sky can do is deactivate the viewing card.
The signals will still be received by the dish and receiver.
But then this will not apply to the many free to air channels like BBC ITV, as they are not reliant on a Sky card.

You would be amazed as some of the BS I have heard in recent months.
Things like "If you have a Sky subscription you will not lose BBC or ITVs" - no idea who that works since BBC and ITVs are all free to air.
Also, do not forget that some Sky channels may be affected - it all depends which beams their owners (not necessarily Sky), want to put them on. We have seen that in the Canarias some channels on the new European beam are harder to receive than before....

´´beware the 2e´s in march - maximus canales nada´´
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:22 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: goodbye goodbye wipe that tear from your eye..

Originally Posted by BAT7311
´´beware the 2e´s in march - maximus canales nada´´
Thankfully where I am, 2F is fineeven on my 80cm dish so there will be no issues with BBC1HD,BBC4HD, BBCNEWSHD, ITV1,ITV1HD, C4HD,or the Fives (assuming they stay on 2F!) totally going. And if 2E is the same as 2F, then no worries at all. And even if there is an issue on smaller dishes, many people still have their 1.8s and 2.4m dishes from the old 2D days...
So much for the rumours and gossip about the total loss of all UK TV channels in my area, mainly banded around by mag box and android box sellers...

Last edited by The Guy; Jan 8th 2014 at 5:26 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

We can´t get BBCNewsHD now so not looking good for us.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:58 pm
Banned

Thankfully where I am, 2F is fineeven on my 80cm dish so there will be no issues with BBC1HD,BBC4HD, BBCNEWSHD, ITV1,ITV1HD, C4HD,or the Fives (assuming they stay on 2F!) totally going. And if 2E is the same as 2F, then no worries at all. And even if there is an issue on smaller dishes, many people still have their 1.8s and 2.4m dishes from the old 2D days...
So much for the rumours and gossip about the total loss of all UK TV channels in my area, mainly banded around by mag box and android box sellers...
being a MAG box seller , i would not count your satellites till they are hatched
and from reading the statements from SES/BBC and also a man who worked on the satellite at Astrium in stevenage , i think a nasty surprise is coming for 2E UKspot beam ... SES say
This move at the 28.2/28.5ºEast will take place over several weeks beginning early February 2014.

but if people want a large dustbin lid from the last century on their house
then thats up to them ...
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Thanks Andy......yes back now. Struggling to get VPN Hide My Arse to stay on my new ipad. Grrr keeps switching itself off.
Try ExpressVPN I use it all the time when I need, Im so glad your back safe, was it really that bad the crossing ?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:23 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

being a MAG box seller , i would not count your satellites till they are hatched
and from reading the statements from SES/BBC and also a man who worked on the satellite at Astrium in stevenage , i think a nasty surprise is coming for 2E UKspot beam
So Paul, you now say that the BBC ITV C4 Five channels currently on 2F, that I can receive on my 80cm dish, will move to 2E also?
Have you had that confirmed by anyone?
Or is that just your "guesswork" again?

I read the statements from SES which simply say that reception may be different - not will. MAY. Even they are not "counting their satellites before they are hatched"

And we had all this "nasty surprise" with 2F (strange that "a man who worked on the satellite at Astrium" was also mentioned then as well) - well in my area it was a surprise...a good surprise...reception has never been better. Currently ALL BBC HD channels,ITV1HD and C4HD nice and clear in full 1080 HD, subscription free, on a 90cm dish. No internet buffering, or upscaling here!

But yes, you are correct, that there is a chance that 2E is not the same reception as 2F. TBH I have never actually said they would be - as for starters they will not be in exactly the same place in space, so that will cause some difference in footprint on earth to start with

Last edited by The Guy; Jan 8th 2014 at 6:34 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:52 pm
Banned

Default where theres a WILL there is SES way

So Paul, you now say that the BBC ITV C4 Five channels currently on 2F, that I can receive on my 80cm dish, will move to 2E also?
Have you had that confirmed by anyone?
Or is that just your "guesswork" again?

I read the statements from SES which simply say that reception may be different - not will. MAY. Even they are not "counting their satellites before they are hatched"

And we had all this "nasty surprise" with 2F (strange that "a man who worked on the satellite at Astrium" was also mentioned then as well) - well in my area it was a surprise...a good surprise...reception has never been better. Currently ALL BBC HD channels,ITV1HD and C4HD nice and clear in full 1080 HD, subscription free, on a 90cm dish. No internet buffering, or upscaling here!

But yes, you are correct, that there is a chance that 2E is not the same reception as 2F. TBH I have never actually said they would be - as for starters they will not be in exactly the same place in space, so that will cause some difference in footprint on earth to start with
SES count their satellites before they are launched ,there will be no surprises for them (they are germans)

BBC STATEMENT´´ The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them. ´´
´´ the BBC’s services will move to their new permanent home on Astra 2E when that becomes operational´´

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/telev...quencies.shtml

and i watch BBC HD programs on their internet HD service ...3mb required
i was making point that on 1.2mb you can have HD upscaling..and also have a passable service on 0.7mb ...and none of it has any buffering

can you answer the FACTS that the BBC moved from 2D to 1N in TWO HOURS on 24/2/12 and SES have said that these changes will happen over ´´SEVERAL WEEKS´´ .... I ´´guess´´ that they are TOTALLY REORGANIZING 28E using 2E+2F and 2G will be used as mostly backup/expansion

Last edited by BAT7311; Jan 8th 2014 at 7:12 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: where theres a WILL there is SES way

SES count their satellites before they are launched ,there will be no surprises for them (they are germans)

BBC STATEMENT´´ The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them. ´´
´´ the BBC’s services will move to their new permanent home on Astra 2E when that becomes operational´´

and i watch BBC HD programs on their internet HD service ...3mb required
i was making point that on 1.2mb you can have HD upscaling..and also have a passable service on 0.7mb ...and none of it has any buffering

can you answer the FACTS that the BBC moved from 2D to 1N in TWO HOURS on 24/2/12 and SES have said that these changes will happen over ´´SEVERAL WEEKS´´ .... I ´´guess´´ that they are TOTALLY REORGANIZING 28E using 2E+2F and 2G will be used as mostly backup/expansion
You can if you don't use your internet for anything else, if you use your internet for other everyday stuff which is why you would have a faster line then the TV eats into it, easy to say no buffering but you cant do jack else while watching TV otherwise it does buffer, and a lot, I have a crappy 10mb constant Movistar line and it buffers.

I think the best way to explain to people is to say that they should have a seperate internet connection unless they don't use the internet for anything but TV, no ?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:56 pm
Banned

You can if you don't use your internet for anything else, if you use your internet for other everyday stuff which is why you would have a faster line then the TV eats into it, easy to say no buffering but you cant do jack else while watching TV otherwise it does buffer, and a lot, I have a crappy 10mb constant Movistar line and it buffers.

I think the best way to explain to people is to say that they should have a seperate internet connection unless they don't use the internet for anything but TV, no ?
we installed FOUR TV CHANNELS at the same time in a hotel with only 6mb..
to watch TV and use a computer for normal functions a 3mb service should be fine ...i installed a IPTV box for british channels ,our TV BROWSER for norway channels among others ,the kids had a old tower downstairs and another had a tablet ...they only had 7mb .... all this
we have installed hundreds of IPTV systems now and have NEVER left without a working service be it SD or LD ... and we NEVER have any buffering issues

so im afraid that the problems in your house are not down to a 10mb service :

one advantage of having over a years background in IPTV is we know all the problems when THE BIG SWITCH OFF happens next month

but if you list your system i will point the problem out very quicky for you

Last edited by BAT7311; Jan 8th 2014 at 8:02 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:31 pm

"Harder" is not impossible.
And "harder" and reduced than what - 1N or 2D?

Yet SES say "TV viewers outside the UK and Ireland may see an impact and may not be able to receive channels from ASTRA 2E UK Spot Beam, which has a smaller footprint than ASTRA 1N."
But does not say how much smaller than 1N...perhaps even they do not know exactly...perhaps that is why they say "may"...?

And in which areas will reception be harder?
As always it will depends where you are - so in some areas yes there will be this so called "Big Switch Off" but maybe not in other areas...

Which is why some (not all) IPTV sellers (and advertorials / poor journalism in some freebie newspapers) harp on about the "big switch off" do not actually distinguish between different areas where reception will vary a great deal- and just simply say "all of Spain will lose all UK TV"...rather than "some areas will be more affected than others"...

Why of course...sales....

(like the IPTV seller in my area who was going around his village about total loss of all UK TV channels would happen in June - a month before 2E was originally scheduled to even launch... )

But then there are many other operators on 1N apart from BBC...so it may take a few weeks to sort out things for all of those operators - BBC, ITV, C4, Disney, Sky, UKTV...removal of all channels from 2D to 1N done in over a week in February 2012 - but some made the move in December 2011!

(Note that the only one who actually said anything about its channel moving was the BBC...a few days before it all happened.)

I was only wondering if you have some facts, or if it was guesswork. (like 2A to 1H...? )

SES count their satellites before they are launched, there will be no surprises for them (they are germans)
Thought SES was Luxembourg, and Astrium was French - are you still in WWII mode? :-)

Last edited by The Guy; Jan 8th 2014 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:27 pm
Banned

"Harder" is not impossible.
And "harder" and reduced than what - 1N or 2D?

Yet SES say "TV viewers outside the UK and Ireland may see an impact and may not be able to receive channels from ASTRA 2E UK Spot Beam, which has a smaller footprint than ASTRA 1N."
But does not say how much smaller than 1N...perhaps even they do not know exactly...perhaps that is why they say "may"...?

And in which areas will reception be harder?
As always it will depends where you are - so in some areas yes there will be this so called "Big Switch Off" but maybe not in other areas...

Which is why some (not all) IPTV sellers (and advertorials / poor journalism in some freebie newspapers) harp on about the "big switch off" do not actually distinguish between different areas where reception will vary a great deal- and just simply say "all of Spain will lose all UK TV"...rather than "some areas will be more affected than others"...

Why of course...sales....

(like the IPTV seller in my area who was going around his village about total loss of all UK TV channels would happen in June - a month before 2E was originally scheduled to even launch... )

But then there are many other operators on 1N apart from BBC...so it may take a few weeks to sort out things for all of those operators - BBC, ITV, C4, Disney, Sky, UKTV...removal of all channels from 2D to 1N done in over a week in February 2012 - but some made the move in December 2011!

(Note that the only one who actually said anything about its channel moving was the BBC...a few days before it all happened.)

I was only wondering if you have some facts, or if it was, and is more than likely, guesswork. (like 2A to 1H...? )
you are ´´guessing´´ that it will be same as 2D
you are ´´guessing ´´ that it will be same as 2F
you are ´´guessing´´ that DSAT8 will stay on 2F

FACTS ARE FROM THE BBC

the BBC’s services will move to their new permanent home on Astra 2E

The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them.

the only reason people had those órible dishs on there houses is because that was the only way of getting TV ...now you think they are going to want MASSIVE ones instead - or a box 10x8cm under their TV - and it all fits in with Telefonica national push to get landline/ADSL/mobile on one contract ..
... by next winter the trade will be GIVING away the IPTV BOXES ,a lesson learnt from SKY so as to get the subs in ... can you compete with a man who puts a box in your house for only €50 for three months sub ????
Old Jan 9th 2014, 5:38 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

the only reason people had those órible dishs on there houses is because that was the only way of getting TV ...now you think they are going to want MASSIVE ones instead - or a box 10x8cm under their TV - and it all fits in with Telefonica national push to get landline/ADSL/mobile on one contract ..
... by next winter the trade will be GIVING away the IPTV BOXES ,a lesson learnt from SKY so as to get the subs in ... can you compete with a man who puts a box in your house for only €50 for three months sub ????
Hi
You live in Tenerife? Did your broadband (in all islands) not have radical improvements recently to accommodate this? My worry is that Skype video tells me that I don´t have sufficient bandwidth for video - I pay for and get 3Mb (whenever I use speedtest).

I have been using speedtest on my smartphone to check the signal speed in various locations; the results are from 11.5 (highest) to 0.05 (lowest). In the same location, the result at 8am and 9am can be massively different, from 4.5 down to 1.5.

Davexf
Old Jan 9th 2014, 6:45 am

you are ´´guessing´´ that it will be same as 2D
you are ´´guessing ´´ that it will be same as 2F
We know 2E will not be the same as 2D. We know 2F is not the same as 2D.
Yes it is heavily assumed that as 2E and 2F are the same make and model of satellites, and have the same published predicted footprint maps they will be the same, or at least similar. But I do accept, and said, that they have had 2E in storage for a while with time to tinker based on what they have learnt from 2F. And that as they will not be in exactly the same location, there will be slight differences.

In the same way you are guessing /assuming that 2E will not be available in Spain at all...with no empirical evidence. (or that 2a channels would move to 1h and most sky channels could be lost in the canaries - a nice bit of PR BS there). Many people also assumed 2F would not be available in Spain, but it is.

you are ´´guessing´´ that DSAT8 will stay on 2F
If you actually take care to read what I said I did say that "(assuming they stay on 2F!)".

Astra 2D was also retired in February 2012 and the BBC services moved to a new temporary home on Astra 1N. Astra 1N is due to take up its permanent position in 2013 (19°East), so the BBC’s services will move to their new permanent home on Astra 2E (28.2°East) when that becomes operational. It is expected that Astra 2E will launch around the middle of 2013.
It could be argued they mean the current BBC services that were on 2D, that are now on 1N will move to 2E.
Those on 2F are new services that were not on 2D...so will stay on 2F...
assumption and guessing from both of us.

The overspill of the BBC’s services will be reduced so viewers outside the UK will find it even harder to receive them.
So you keep quoting again and again.
And as I keep saying, it says it will be harder, not impossible.
And yes in some areas of Spain it will be harder to receive them - but again, maybe not many other areas of Spain. We know from 2F some areas have worse reception, and others have much better. The statement you keep on repeating again and again cannot be generalised to mean all of Europe, or all of Spain. You need to look at reception on an area by area basis.

And yet SES how own and operate the satellite simply say reception in areas outside the UK "may" not "will" be affected. Again they are not exactly saying anything about specific areas,just generalising.

Simply repeating the same thing over and over again will not make it more true.

Many people in this area already have "massive" dishes from the old 2d days...and have lived with them for the last 10plus years...

But then I do also offer iptv services also, but many in this area are simply waiting to see if their existing equipment will function before going for an iptv system, especially when may be able to get their TV subscription free.

But then it is a big assumption that these iptv services are not subjected to the broadcasters starting to clamp down on the providers of these services for illegal redistribution of content without permission, especially when they are making people pay for those services and getting non of that revenue back. As it becomes more popular it becomes more of a target for the broadcasters to clean up...just like cardsharing has and tvcatchup and like you constantly say filmon...

Last edited by The Guy; Jan 9th 2014 at 7:21 am.
Old Jan 9th 2014, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

If you have 10Mb and buffering, your computer simply isn't up to it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.