Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A good way to crack down on the black economy?

A good way to crack down on the black economy?

Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:24 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default A good way to crack down on the black economy?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26176468

Portuguese taxpayers are to get a chance to win luxury cars as part of the latest attempt by the authorities to crack down on the black economy, which has ballooned in recent years as incomes have fallen, taxes have risen and austerity measures have been implemented as a result of the Eurozone bailout.
I understand the scheme is going ahead now with Audi cars being given away each month.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 11:59 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A good way to crack down on the black economy?

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26176468

I understand the scheme is going ahead now with Audi cars being given away each month.
I can´t see it making any difference Stevie.
Afterall, it will make little difference to the guy doing the job. He/she either charges VAT or doesn´t.
So unless the customer wants to pay an extra 23%, why would he insist on a receipt?
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:07 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
I can´t see it making any difference Stevie.
Afterall, it will make little difference to the guy doing the job. He/she either charges VAT or doesn´t.
So unless the customer wants to pay an extra 23%, why would he insist on a receipt?
It depends on the work. If it has legal or tax implications( e.g., a business expense, or a home improvement that needs to be legalised) then you need a receipt and it will need iva charged on it.

Otherwise, no sense in paying 20% more so that another ghost airport can be built.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:19 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

It is suggested that any winner will have to pay some of the taxes associated with a new vehicle. So its not as good as it seems.
Looking forward to queuing in the supermarket when a host of little old ladies submit their tax details for their daily milk and bread purchase.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:50 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Does a leopard change it's spots ? Is the Pope a Catholic ?

Much the same chance of changing the Spanish culture which is now more firmly entrenched than ever and just one of the reasons why the economic and especially unemployment situation still remains virtually unchanged.

Rajoy introduced various measures to counteract the black market a while ago.

Unfortunately apart from creating bank staff a hell of a lot of unnecessary extra work, it's done nothing at all to change the black economy, other than to drive it even further underground than ever it was before, in order to stay even further out of the reach of the taxmen.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Does a leopard change it's spots ? Is the Pope a Catholic ?

Much the same chance of changing the Spanish culture which is now more firmly entrenched than ever and just one of the reasons why the economic and especially unemployment situation still remains virtually unchanged.

Rajoy introduced various measures to counteract the black market a while ago.

Unfortunately apart from creating bank staff a hell of a lot of unnecessary extra work, it's done nothing at all to change the black economy, other than to drive it even further underground than ever it was before, in order to stay even further out of the reach of the taxmen.
You are talking absolute nonsense

The black economy is a symptom of an inflexible labour market, too few jobs and insufficient benefits

It is the poorest people in Spain who work on the black market - because they have no (or avery little) choice.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:02 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Much like excessive corruption it is and has been ingrained into the Spanish culture longer than either you or I could ever remember, regardless of economic circumstances or methods of govt.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 1:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Much like excessive corruption it is and has been ingrained into the Spanish culture longer than either you or I could ever remember, regardless of economic circumstances or methods of govt.
Corruption and the black market are completely different issues

On both, it depends on who you compare Spain to whether it does particularly well or badly. It does better than Italy but worse than Germany for example
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:03 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I think the scheme whereby people can claim up to 250 euros a year back on the vat on spends in bars, restaurants, hairdressers will be a good money spinner for some.

The people that root through the rubbish bins, could collect the receipts from all those establishments that customers have thrown away or left behind.
that is if the owner of the establishment does not get in there first.

They can then sell them onto 'conocidos' for let's say 50 or 75 euros so that the 'customer' gets the maximum 250 euros back each year.

A few decent hairdressers in the neighbourhood would be ideal, and it would be less smelly, dirty and downright horrible than rooting through rubbish containers.

I can see a whole new bussiness opportunity arising.

Last edited by me me; Mar 26th 2014 at 3:06 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:09 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Corruption and the black market are completely different issues

On both, it depends on who you compare Spain to whether it does particularly well or badly. It does better than Italy but worse than Germany for example
Spain is worse on corruption than a few countries...40 to be exact. Comes behind a many of the Caribbean Islands, Puerto Rico etc.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:23 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
I think the scheme whereby people can claim up to 250 euros a year back on the vat on spends in bars, restaurants, hairdressers will be a good money spinner for some.

The people that root through the rubbish bins, could collect the receipts from all those establishments that customers have thrown away or left behind.
that is if the owner of the establishment does not get in there first.

They can then sell them onto 'conocidos' for let's say 50 or 75 euros so that the 'customer' gets the maximum 250 euros back each yea

A few decent hairdressers in the neighbourhood would be ideal, and it would be less smelly, dirty and downright horrible than rooting through rubbish containers.

I can see a whole new bussiness opportunity arising.
I have not heard that Spain is also doing this and that it is just in Portugal.
Collecting receipts is pointless as they have to have the purchasers tax number on them to count . It is this number that counts as far as winning the car etc
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:43 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EMR
I have not heard that Spain is also doing this and that it is just in Portugal.
Collecting receipts is pointless as they have to have the purchasers tax number on them to count . It is this number that counts as far as winning the car etc
The fact that it is not happening Spain, has not stopped it being discussed in PDT though has it?

And who is not to say that I am not living in Portugal at this very moment.
Old Mar 26th 2014, 3:45 pm
EMR
Banned

To qualify you have to give the business you tax number at the time of purchase.
This is then sent via a terminal at the business to the financas.
Any legal business in Portugal must have one of these terminals.
To claim you have to prove your identity, ie your Fiscal card or record with your NIE number on it. The one that is on the receipts.
It is not a case of just picking up pieces of paper in rubbsh bins.