Golden Syrup

Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:30 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Golden Syrup

Originally Posted by Fred James
I would say that Miel De Caña has a more caremelised, slightly bitter taste which makes it taste slightly less sweet than Golden Syrup or Honey.

That's why it works well sprinkled on deep fried aubergines or Tortillas de Camerones where Golden Syrup would taste far too sweet.

It's lovely stuff but you have to know where to use it.
You are making my mouth water so how about a few of your successes and of course the failures too so that we do not go down that route.

Rosemary
Old Dec 13th 2013, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
You are making my mouth water so how about a few of your successes and of course the failures too so that we do not go down that route.

Rosemary
Good idea! My husband has been writing a vegetarian cookbook because he's made all the mistakes. I'm not vegetarian though. I'm thinking of trying home curing bacon because I can't stand Spanish (boiled) bacon. The only trouble is, all the 'bacon meat' comes in the form of secreto and most of the fat is separate. But I think I'll try home curing a nice secreto in the style of bacon. Having trouble sourcing saltpetre though. Apparently its also an ingredient for explosives!. Hmm. I prefer bacon butties to jihad myself!
Old Dec 14th 2013, 12:59 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Good idea! My husband has been writing a vegetarian cookbook because he's made all the mistakes. I'm not vegetarian though. I'm thinking of trying home curing bacon because I can't stand Spanish (boiled) bacon. The only trouble is, all the 'bacon meat' comes in the form of secreto and most of the fat is separate. But I think I'll try home curing a nice secreto in the style of bacon. Having trouble sourcing saltpetre though. Apparently its also an ingredient for explosives!. Hmm. I prefer bacon butties to jihad myself!
One of the things that Graham started to do before he died was curing his own bacon so that we could enjoy bacon butties more and of course he also did gammon steaks as I adore them. He bought the salt for the curing from e-bay, very cheap and goes a very long way, the process is so, so simple too. Loads of info on this on the internet.

Rosemary