Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

going rate for babysitters?

going rate for babysitters?

Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:33 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: going rate for babysitters?

Originally Posted by cricketman
what's wrong with that?
It seems abit sarky to me, the "I thought 2 people have said already" bit, does sound like you are saying, there is your answer, go away, end of thread.

It is a relatively new thread so it is not as if it has been doing the rounds for ages, and if the OP wants to delve in a little more, why not, what is the matter with that.

If the tread is of no interest to you why bother posting on it with a IMO a cutting comment, why not refrain from posting on that particular thread, there a loads of others to post on.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Come on chaps, this isn't helping Lynn get her night out.... a couple of us did say, it's true (€8 in my case, €10 manamama) but OP might not have been quite as awake as she thought... and of course rates probably vary from place to place so a few more suggestions could make all the difference. Sleepovers sound a good idea though. (for the kids, I mean)
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:12 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I got my babysitter from my daughters guardaria.

Perhaps you could ask at one of your local guardarias and ask if they do this sort of service.

To look after your two girls who I think would be easy to look after (unlike my little ones) you'd be looking at paying 8 euros, a reasonable sum.

It cost us 50 euros in total so our night outs at the moment are once a year!!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 11:48 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I thought 2 people have said already? Looking on the Spanish forums it looks like the rate is between 7-11 euros per hour depending on where you live and how many children they have to look after.
thanks

we're actually thinking around 7 an hour

the person Fiona mentioned is a qualified child carer

I'm thinking more the neighbour/teen next door sort of arrangement
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I think it depends on whether they can sit and watch TV all evening, or whether they are actually "looking after" and entertaining a child. I know it is still their time, but I think it allows some space for negotiation. The rate depends on whether they have to travel, too. I agree on the sleepover thing, or take it in turns with a trusted friend who has a child to babysit for one another's children.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
Come on chaps, this isn't helping Lynn get her night out.... a couple of us did say, it's true (€8 in my case, €10 manamama) but OP might not have been quite as awake as she thought... and of course rates probably vary from place to place so a few more suggestions could make all the difference. Sleepovers sound a good idea though. (for the kids, I mean)
I can have a night out any time I like - my kids are old enough

a friend wants my teenage dd to babysit - & neither of us know what is a fair rate - both those rates were for people who are professional/qualified carers

maybe I should have been a little clearer - but to me a babysitter is not usually a professional carer

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
I think it depends on whether they can sit and watch TV all evening, or whether they are actually "looking after" and entertaining a child. I know it is still their time, but I think it allows some space for negotiation. The rate depends on whether they have to travel, too. I agree on the sleepover thing, or take it in turns with a trusted friend who has a child to babysit for one another's children.
yes, that's the point

she might just sit & watch tele all evening

but maybe one of the kids will wake up - need a nappy change - need entertaining

I used to do a lot of babysitting as a teenager - sometimes it was money for nothing - others it felt like slave labour - but you never know in advance..................................
Old Jun 19th 2010, 5:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I can have a night out any time I like - my kids are old enough
- but to me a babysitter is not usually a professional carer
(i) Harrumph. Oh well, only another six years or so.....
(ii) Me too... we just struck 'lucky' with someone recommended
(iii) I'd say actually many if not most people almost expect the babysitter to flop in front of the tv & read or whatever; it's the possibility of needing more childcare that's maybe the only issue for the parents/sitter depending on how adept the sitter is. As to price, well obviously I can only guess but if, for example, €8 plus seems a more professional rate, how about starting out suggesting €5? Guess ultimately it's down to what your friend thinks is reasonable and you/dd1 think's not taking advantage.
Obviously as in the UK the rates usually go up after midnight, which in Spain might put the price up generally! Oh, and should include safe conduct home....
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:03 am
¿Dónde estoy?

(i) Harrumph. Oh well, only another six years or so.....
(ii) Me too... we just struck 'lucky' with someone recommended
(iii) I'd say actually many if not most people almost expect the babysitter to flop in front of the tv & read or whatever; it's the possibility of needing more childcare that's maybe the only issue for the parents/sitter depending on how adept the sitter is. As to price, well obviously I can only guess but if, for example, €8 plus seems a more professional rate, how about starting out suggesting €5? Guess ultimately it's down to what your friend thinks is reasonable and you/dd1 think's not taking advantage.
Obviously as in the UK the rates usually go up after midnight, which in Spain might put the price up generally! Oh, and should include safe conduct home....
thing is my friend has asked me what I think...........................

I originally thought 5 til my dd pointed out that a friend of hers gets that for walking one dog - & this is 3 little kids so it should be more..........................

dd really wants to do this - she's brill with little kids - and is sensible/dependable enough

it's also just a couple of mins walk from home, so I could always help out if need be............................
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately I think the dogwalker is getting quite a lot so it reflects badly on realism. I was stumped, so googled and found a Feb 2010 post on a UK forum saying
they'd always paid £3.50 to neighbours' children, but would round up to £15 or £20 if closer to midnight getting home. They paid an 18 yo daughter of a friend £5....

Don't suppose that helps, though
Old Jun 19th 2010, 6:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Unfortunately I think the dogwalker is getting quite a lot so it reflects badly on realism. I was stumped, so googled and found a Feb 2010 post on a UK forum saying
they'd always paid £3.50 to neighbours' children, but would round up to £15 or £20 if closer to midnight getting home. They paid an 18 yo daughter of a friend £5....

Don't suppose that helps, though
I did ask some friends in the UK, & they reckoned anything from 7.50 an hour to 20 for an evening & 5 more an hour after midnight.............

I think I know what I'll suggest now
Old Jun 19th 2010, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

¡hola! Lynnxa,

Am I too late with my post? Have you made a decision? Your question has made me think - ouch!
I can only guess that your dd is under 16, well brought up, level headed, but professionally untrained in childcare? Well done to her for having thought about gaining experience in this area.
Nonetheless, it is right that a rate should be set for "first time babysitters", otherwise it devalues the young person.
(I believe that the "responsible" person here (legally) is the parent/s of the child when the babysitter is under the age of 16.)

Thought #1:
IMO, €20 for an evening is reasonable as this would mean charging the same for either an hour or 4 hours of babysitting. However, after midnight, I think the hourly rate should double to €10 per hour or fraction thereof.
The responsible adult should make it clear when he/she plans to return before the evening begins, and contact the babysitter immediately should he/she be late.
The babysitter then can decide afterwards whether or not this adult is reliable enough to babysit for another time.

Carol
P.S. How long before this thread is moved to siesta time?
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:00 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Carol&John
¡hola! Lynnxa,

Am I too late with my post? Have you made a decision? Your question has made me think - ouch!
I can only guess that your dd is under 16, well brought up, level headed, but professionally untrained in childcare? Well done to her for having thought about gaining experience in this area.
Nonetheless, it is right that a rate should be set for "first time babysitters", otherwise it devalues the young person.
(I believe that the "responsible" person here (legally) is the parent/s of the child when the babysitter is under the age of 16.)

Thought #1:
IMO, €20 for an evening is reasonable as this would mean charging the same for either an hour or 4 hours of babysitting. However, after midnight, I think the hourly rate should double to €10 per hour or fraction thereof.
The responsible adult should make it clear when he/she plans to return before the evening begins, and contact the babysitter immediately should he/she be late.
The babysitter then can decide afterwards whether or not this adult is reliable enough to babysit for another time.

Carol
P.S. How long before this thread is moved to siesta time?
sorry - hope your head doesn't hurt too much after thinking

it wasn't actually my dd's idea - she was approached - but it wouldn't hurt her to earn some pocket money from someone other than me - she has do chores at home to earn her pocket money as it is!

I have made my suggestion - not far off your suggestion in fact

we shall see - & yes, in retrospect it maybe should have gone in Siesta time
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Carol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond reputeCarol&John has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well, then it is you who deserves the praise! PMT = Proud Mama Time!(Applause, applause!)
Old Jun 19th 2010, 9:26 am
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by Carol&John
Ah well, then it is you who deserves the praise! PMT = Proud Mama Time!(Applause, applause!)
we shall see - we haven't had this term's notas yet
Old Jun 19th 2010, 2:23 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
I did ask some friends in the UK, & they reckoned anything from 7.50 an hour to 20 for an evening & 5 more an hour after midnight.............

I think I know what I'll suggest now
But sitting time zones are totally different here, some don`t go out till they are usually coming home in the UK
Just think what you would sit for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.