Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

gibraltar jobs advice

gibraltar jobs advice

Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

houseinthesun is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink gibraltar jobs advice

Hello everyone, just joined the forum today hope everyone is well. Hope you don't kick me out, as I am not British but French but been living in the UK (London) for 11 years. Have had enough of the big city for a while but decided that 2008 has to be the last year we are spending here.
My husband is from the South of Spain and both of us have been working in the hospitality industry since we came to London. We realise though that the current market would probably make it very difficult for us to move back if we expected to get a Managerial job in a hotel either in Gibraltar or South of Spain.
We have been looking into starting off by doing a customer service job in one of those gambling companies in Gibraltar and wonder if anyone has any tips for us. If you have or are doing this type of job do you necessarily have to do shifts work or can you chose not to? we thought my husband if needed would do some shifts and I would work office hours as we have a little baby, however not sure if this would suit the companies. Do you think they might regard us as overqualified as we worked as Managers and disregard our applications?
any tips and advice would be welcome.
Have a good night all.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 10:26 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: gibraltar jobs advice

Welcome! We'll forgive you being French
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Welcome! We'll forgive you being French
Thanks Hillybilly, where about do you live in Andalucia?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 11:28 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, welcome to the forum
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:39 am
Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Fac

djrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant futuredjrickyb has a brilliant future

Ok....

Now this really annoys me!

You speak not only French but your English looks perfect.

You should have no trouble getting a job in Gibraltar.

The gaming companies are always on the lookout for bi-lingual customer Service Representatives.

http://www.reed.co.uk/job/details.as...214771&pro=rss
Old Jan 14th 2009, 7:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I can't remember the thread title but there was quite a discussion about Gib relatively recently....try a search.
Welcome & good luck!
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

ballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really niceballin is just really nice

Work in general is drying up here, and if you do find something, it will almost certainly be shift work unfortunately.
Everyone wants 9-5 hours, so if they come up, usually they are filled before they are even advertised internally!

Regarding your "over-qualified" statement, no that shouldn't affect you in the slightest as long as you explain your reasoning and that you aren't expecting similar pay to London!

I'd strongly advise you to look for jobs in Spain if you can though, and steer clear of Gibraltar as an area and a place of work.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Wink Re: gibraltar jobs advice

Originally Posted by ballin
Work in general is drying up here, and if you do find something, it will almost certainly be shift work unfortunately.
Everyone wants 9-5 hours, so if they come up, usually they are filled before they are even advertised internally!

Regarding your "over-qualified" statement, no that shouldn't affect you in the slightest as long as you explain your reasoning and that you aren't expecting similar pay to London!

I'd strongly advise you to look for jobs in Spain if you can though, and steer clear of Gibraltar as an area and a place of work.
thanks for your advice Ballin, we are also looking in Spain, we went to the Eurosport building in Gibraltar last month when on holiday there and picked up some application forms some of the companies ask on the form whether you are able to do shifts, I have also seen some of the websites mention you are paid slightly less if you don't do shifts, so there are to be a few...they also mention the market online betting is opening up in France this year, so they will be looking for French speakers. Thanks for the advice.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 3:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Hi there, welcome to the forum
Ha, I read that as.... "Hi there, and welcome to my forum"
Old Jan 14th 2009, 4:47 pm
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by houseinthesun
Hello everyone, just joined the forum today hope everyone is well. Hope you don't kick me out, as I am not British but French but been living in the UK (London) for 11 years. Have had enough of the big city for a while but decided that 2008 has to be the last year we are spending here.
My husband is from the South of Spain and both of us have been working in the hospitality industry since we came to London. We realise though that the current market would probably make it very difficult for us to move back if we expected to get a Managerial job in a hotel either in Gibraltar or South of Spain.
We have been looking into starting off by doing a customer service job in one of those gambling companies in Gibraltar and wonder if anyone has any tips for us. If you have or are doing this type of job do you necessarily have to do shifts work or can you chose not to? we thought my husband if needed would do some shifts and I would work office hours as we have a little baby, however not sure if this would suit the companies. Do you think they might regard us as overqualified as we worked as Managers and disregard our applications?
any tips and advice would be welcome.
Have a good night all.
Hi
This may help you www.wemploy.gi there is a couple more if you get the sur in english or go online its .com you get more on that