Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gibraltar Frontier

Gibraltar Frontier

Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Gibraltar Frontier

http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=19520
Old Jul 17th 2010, 8:56 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gibraltar Frontier

I thought this was old news, I am sure they did this a few months ago, till I read the date.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Appalling whereas all the Brits living in Spain were cheering for their adopted country the Gibraltarian youth behave like this. They should be ashamed.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Appalling whereas all the Brits living in Spain were cheering for their adopted country the Gibraltarian youth behave like this. They should be ashamed.
Did you read the right story ?
I dont think the Mayor is a Gibraltarian youth.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 10:35 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm... not the same story - this one is about problems at the border during the World Cup final I guess. I have heard about this - where did you read this Chiclanagir?
Old Jul 17th 2010, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato
Hmm... not the same story - this one is about problems at the border during the World Cup final I guess. I have heard about this - where did you read this Chiclanagir?
Not quite sure if I understand your post correctly jimenato??

My post is in reference to events at the frontier yesterday Friday ( possibly Thursday as well ) and has nothing to do with the recent football hooliganism.

However on Thursday just before noon I was driving from La Linea towards San Roque, the frontier queue started at the Puente Mayorga roundabout which is 5 km from the frontier. The queue was single file from that roundabout up to the La Linea seafront and then became a double queue, i.e. both lanes of the dual carriageway. This of course also blocked access into La Linea.
The other West side access to La Linea is through the industrial estate this was also jammed solid from the Puente Mayorga roundabout.
I have no idea what the situation was on the Eastern access, but feel it was similar.
These queues are being caused by commercial traffic of which there is an abundance at the moment and by the Feria and of course the usual deliberate political action.
However by blocking to this extent they are also causing havoc both to the residents and businesses of La Linea as well as the frontier.

I believe it is called shooting oneself in the foot.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:07 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I have some sympathy for the residents of La Linea. They seem to have all the hassle of people going into Gib but reap very little in money terms, just a few parking fees. Maybe the Mayor should declare the dual carriageway a toll road and charge 1 euro per car
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:51 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Not quite sure if I understand your post correctly jimenato??

My post is in reference to events at the frontier yesterday Friday ( possibly Thursday as well ) and has nothing to do with the recent football hooliganism.

However on Thursday just before noon I was driving from La Linea towards San Roque, the frontier queue started at the Puente Mayorga roundabout which is 5 km from the frontier. The queue was single file from that roundabout up to the La Linea seafront and then became a double queue, i.e. both lanes of the dual carriageway. This of course also blocked access into La Linea.
The other West side access to La Linea is through the industrial estate this was also jammed solid from the Puente Mayorga roundabout.
I have no idea what the situation was on the Eastern access, but feel it was similar.
These queues are being caused by commercial traffic of which there is an abundance at the moment and by the Feria and of course the usual deliberate political action.
However by blocking to this extent they are also causing havoc both to the residents and businesses of La Linea as well as the frontier.

I believe it is called shooting oneself in the foot.
Yes - I read your border congestion article but it appears that Chiclanagir had read something entirely different - about football hooliganism - an article which I would also like to read.

About the border congestion, we drove in on Thursday at about the time you were driving out. We spotted the queue at Puente Mayorga and took a left into the industrial estate to avoid it. There is indeed a queue there but it is caused by some roadworks and isn't associated with the border. We then joined the seafront where the entire right hand lane was filled with stationary lorries. We drove past that lot and got to the border quite easily in the end. I thought it must have had something to do with the feria. No problem at all getting out two hours later and the lorries had gone.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 1:55 pm
FreeThinker

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I have some sympathy for the residents of La Linea. They seem to have all the hassle of people going into Gib but reap very little in money terms, just a few parking fees. Maybe the Mayor should declare the dual carriageway a toll road and charge 1 euro per car
It's a funny old place isn't it? I reckon they don't do too badly out of their proximity to Gib - a lot of them work there and a lot of fairly wealthy 'foreigners' have bought apartments there and spend their money there. And I reckon that the 'just a few parking fees' probably adds up to quite a bit.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies one and all, got the two stories muddled up. Got mine from
www.cadiznews.co.uk. Sorry.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

About the border congestion, we drove in on Thursday at about the time you were driving out. We spotted the queue at Puente Mayorga and took a left into the industrial estate to avoid it. There is indeed a queue there but it is caused by some roadworks and isn't associated with the border.
Thanks jimenato
You obviously saw more on thursday than I did

I was in Gib on Friday and the place came to a halt mid afternoon.
The Police released me at 1-30 and I went home for a quick clean up,witnessing the Policia Locals paper checks after the frontier.
I then returned for a meeting at 3-30 and met a friend in Marina Bay who had taken 30 mins to get from Morisson's to Marina Bay on a motor scooter. I stopped in a bar until 6-30 and then drove out on empty streets.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Apologies one and all, got the two stories muddled up. Got mine from
www.cadiznews.co.uk. Sorry.

Hi Chiclanagir
The Gib Chronicle reported the event as :-
http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=19474

Which is very similar to the Cadiz News report who's link does not work
Old Jul 17th 2010, 3:11 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Hi Chiclanagir
The Gib Chronicle reported the event as :-
http://www.chronicle.gi/headlines_details.php?id=19474

Which is very similar to the Cadiz News report who's link does not work

this one does

TROUBLE AT THE BORDER AS SPAIN WINS WORLD CUP

By David Eade

Gibraltarians love their football and there are keen supporters of both Real Madrid and Barcelona on the Rock. Indeed the Barcelona supporters club is said to be amongst the largest outside Spain.
Old Jul 17th 2010, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Triana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really niceTriana is just really nice

It's a funny old place isn't it? I reckon they don't do too badly out of their proximity to Gib - a lot of them work there and a lot of fairly wealthy 'foreigners' have bought apartments there and spend their money there. And I reckon that the 'just a few parking fees' probably adds up to quite a bit.
Agree that quite a lot of La Linea residents work in Gib but where would "fairly wealthy foreigners" buy in La Linea? Can't think of anywhere. I would have thought they'd buy in San Roque/Sotogrande?
Old Jul 19th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Today's headline from Gibraltar Chronicle:
'La Linea economy in collapse - DESPERATE LA LINEA MAYOR ORDERS ROAD BLOCKS AT GIB EXIT ‘TO PRESSURE MADRID’
From El Mundo: 'La Guardia Civil retira su vigilancia de aguas españolas en Gibraltar'.
It almost seems like two different countries...
Oh, right!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.