Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting rid of second hand stuff

Getting rid of second hand stuff

Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold
Default Getting rid of second hand stuff

One of my bedrooms (currently a store room) is about to burst at the seams with all the stuff that I have crammed in there that I just don't know how to dispose of. It's all stuff that I don't need anymore, but it would be a terrible waste to chuck it all in the skips. I'm talking about the usual things that in the UK you might take to a car boot...books (read once), odd items of furniture, puzzles, jewellery, etc, etc.

I've tried a few things:
1) I sold a portable air-con machine on Segundamano.es but it took AGES. It received hardly any hits.
2) I advertised the same machine on compraventa.es but same story....hardly any hits.
3) ebay.es seems to be a joke. Nobody has heard of ebay here!
4) There are no car boots in my area.
5) I did donate a few items of furniture to REMAR, but of course you don't get any money in return.

So, where are the really good outlets for second hand goods?? What do people do with their second hand stuff here? I tried asking the OH (Spanish) but he comes from a family of hoarders who don't seem to understand the concept of buying/selling second hand items and I just get labelled as "weird".

Anyone tried a yard sale? I have thought about that, but it would just be humiliating if I went to loads of trouble and nobody turned up. BTW, I would be totally reliant on Spanish custom as I don't know any Brits here....and if my OH's family think I am weird for selling second hand stuff, perhaps the entire neighbourhood would too??!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:13 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting rid of second hand stuff

Originally Posted by Veleta
One of my bedrooms (currently a store room) is about to burst at the seams with all the stuff that I have crammed in there that I just don't know how to dispose of. It's all stuff that I don't need anymore, but it would be a terrible waste to chuck it all in the skips. I'm talking about the usual things that in the UK you might take to a car boot...books (read once), odd items of furniture, puzzles, jewellery, etc, etc.

I've tried a few things:
1) I sold a portable air-con machine on Segundamano.es but it took AGES. It received hardly any hits.
2) I advertised the same machine on compraventa.es but same story....hardly any hits.
3) ebay.es seems to be a joke. Nobody has heard of ebay here!
4) There are no car boots in my area.
5) I did donate a few items of furniture to REMAR, but of course you don't get any money in return.

So, where are the really good outlets for second hand goods?? What do people do with their second hand stuff here? I tried asking the OH (Spanish) but he comes from a family of hoarders who don't seem to understand the concept of buying/selling second hand items and I just get labelled as "weird".

Anyone tried a yard sale? I have thought about that, but it would just be humiliating if I went to loads of trouble and nobody turned up. BTW, I would be totally reliant on Spanish custom as I don't know any Brits here....and if my OH's family think I am weird for selling second hand stuff, perhaps the entire neighbourhood would too??!
There are people that do house clearances, but you would only get peanuts for it.
Do they have "The Friday ad" near you, you can put free ads in it and also photos of the stuff.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:15 pm
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you're desperate for cash, give it all away to charity.

We helped a couple give a load of stuff away last night, and we plan to do the same once we've gone through our wardrobe etc (a task many years overdue!)

Our place was one of the churches. We found this out by going to the local Cruz Roja (Red Cross) office.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

No, not desperate for cash but of course it would be nice!

I've given furniture to REMAR before (some kind of religious charity from what I can gather) but they only take furniture.

Hadn't thought of churches....but do they only take clothes? What about all the other nick knacks....books, puzzles, jewellery, light fittings, tools, toys, etc?

I've never heard of "The Friday Ad" so I guess we don't get it here.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:27 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

I've given furniture to REMAR before (some kind of religious charity from what I can gather) but they only take furniture.

Hadn't thought of churches....but do they only take clothes? What about all the other nick knacks....books, puzzles, jewellery, light fittings, tools, toys, etc?

No, in Jerez you don't get Friday Ad.

What you know to be REMAR, others may not recognise as the name seems to change region by region, but they are all the same. And yes, furniture is what they do.

However the church does accept ANYTHING!!!! BUT.... and it is a big BUT (not unlike mine!) ..... not all churches will accept things. Check out which one in your area is happy to. A tip: try the church which covers your neediest area.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

All the distribution areas are on the front page HERE
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:39 pm

Put your specs on JDR!!!!!! Cadiz province don't get it!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't let people of your age anywhere near the remote control, let alone a PC!!!!

(It's ok, though, as we still loves ya!)
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:43 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I find it refreshing to read of people who live in purely Spanish areas, the downside is those little things that British people do differently - like selling second hand things.

I live in a 'British' area, and often miss the missing Spanishness, but here you can dispose of second hand things in the same way as you do in England - sadly, or otherwise (my jury is still out), that is because my area is 'British', only those lovely Spanish skies remind me that I'm living abroad.

We give our second hand things to a local animal charity, British, of course.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 7:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Put your specs on JDR!!!!!! Cadiz province don't get it!!!

Seriously, I wouldn't let people of your age anywhere near the remote control, let alone a PC!!!!

(It's ok, though, as we still loves ya!)
I am well in control of all my facultiesssssssssss

Do it on line, Veleta may get peeps from Gib interested

Last edited by jdr; Jul 3rd 2009 at 7:50 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:19 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Classified section on this page is free: www.britishexpats.com
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Wish i lived near you i am always looking for car boot stuff
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:09 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I forgot to mention, around here we have auctions, dozens of them, in local British bars, where you can buy almost anything. As for second hand books, there must be millions offered for sale just about everywhere.

My garage is full of books I have bought and not yet had time to read, and I'm a big reader.

Treading carefully (I spent many years in the East End), you can buy all those 'dodgy' items here as well, I'm not going to list them, that would be silly, to sum it up as absolutely everything would be appropriate.

Currently, my garden is filling up with gnomes that 'er indoors has taken a liking to. I hate them.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:11 pm

Sell 'em to drug dealers. Those gnomes will come in handy!
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Sell 'em to drug dealers. Those gnomes will come in handy!
Or give them to Maisymay then her dogs will have something to wee up
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 9:59 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've found a better solution. While she was watching Eastenders, I gave one of the gnomes a good kicking and its head fell off. I'm now trying to work out how to dispose off the body.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.