Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Getting Naturalized

Getting Naturalized

Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

LibertyE is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting Naturalized

Just curious to know if anyone has ever applied to be naturalized in Spain?

I vaguely remember from some research I did years ago that you need to have lived here (and paid into the system) for a minimum of 10 years.

I know there aren't any huge benefits of getting naturalized if you are an EU national, but it would be handy to have a DNI!!!

Due to the nature of my work, I am often in official government buildings and they won't take my driving license as proof of ID, only my passport and resident certificate which of course I NEVER keep on me as a matter of course and often forget to pick up when I leave home each day.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone has experience of this process?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:31 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Getting Naturalized

Yes I have, I applied for Spanish Nationality, almost two years ago the application was submitted and I am awaiting the result.

To qualify in my circumstances I had to have been resident in Spanish territories for a minimum of 10 years. Birth, marriage, certificates translated and certified, a conviction check in country of birth translated and certified, proof of income of income certified and translated. Patronato certified and copy of passport. Apart from passport all had to be less than six months old.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:35 pm
Just Joined

OK. That actually sounds easier than I imagined. No fee to pay?

why doesn't the 2 year wait surprise me??
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:45 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

No, no fee to the Spanish authorities, but the documents cost plus the translations and certifications cost.

We were indeed fortunate, that the man at the court office completed all the paperwork for us, we just signed everything.

We also needed two witnesses of Spanish nationality, to vouch for our characters and verify that we had assimilated into the local community.

Yes almost two years!! the guy in the courts reckoned about eight months, but talking to others who have gone through the process, 18 months to two and a half years is the norm.

I have heard that an examination has been or will be required for future applicants.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

This info is encouraging me to get around to doing something.

I'd only have to get my birth certificate and pre-cons translated/certified. No marriage certificate and my proof of income is in Spanish anyway.

I have seen something about this 'citizens exam' too. Not sure when it comes into effect, but I think the cost was €85 if I remember correctly. The Institudo Cervantes organize it.

Even with the new exam, it's significantly cheaper than I was expecting!
Old Aug 8th 2015, 7:07 pm
Herreño

We were worried about the E.U. U.K. leaving or Spain getting kicked out, or the whole of the E.U. imploding. Yes all highly unlikely maybe, but still a worry.

One other thing we have had to renounce our U.K. nationality, in the eyes of the Spanish we will only have Spanish nationality, if or when they get round to accepting our applications, but enquiries from the British consul reveal that in the eyes of the British, we will have dual nationality.
Old Aug 9th 2015, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boseley
We were worried about the E.U. U.K. leaving or Spain getting kicked out, or the whole of the E.U. imploding. Yes all highly unlikely maybe, but still a worry.

One other thing we have had to renounce our U.K. nationality, in the eyes of the Spanish we will only have Spanish nationality, if or when they get round to accepting our applications, but enquiries from the British consul reveal that in the eyes of the British, we will have dual nationality.
It is impossible to renounce British Citizenship. You may have it ignored or not recognized by the naturalizing country whilst you are in their territory; but elsewhere you ould still flash a British passport if yo so wished. Due to a series of coincidences, no. 1 son has British, Irish, and Italian passports. I don't know this, but wouldn't be surprised if many Gibraltarians have dual nationality.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
Old Aug 14th 2015, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

Today I officially started the application process. So maybe in a couple of years or so I will get my official documentation through!! :-D
Old Aug 14th 2015, 6:12 pm
Herreño

Originally Posted by LibertyE
Today I officially started the application process. So maybe in a couple of years or so I will get my official documentation through!! :-D
Good luck!!!
Old Aug 15th 2015, 11:21 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boseley

Even if the UK leaves the EU or Spain gets kicked out or the EU implodes (all unlikely as you say). The agreements between Spain and the UK (which are separate from the EU) will probably remain allowing you to stay.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 11:33 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they will remain.The Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties guarantees that "acquired" rights cannot be taken away just because a treaty changes.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 12:25 pm
Herreño

Originally Posted by Tadd1966
Even if the UK leaves the EU or Spain gets kicked out or the EU implodes (all unlikely as you say). The agreements between Spain and the UK (which are separate from the EU) will probably remain allowing you to stay.

That was only a minor concern, at the time we foresaw other problems, hence the application, hopefully soon to be granted.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 1:55 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
It is impossible to renounce British Citizenship. You may have it ignored or not recognized by the naturalizing country whilst you are in their territory; but elsewhere you ould still flash a British passport if yo so wished. Due to a series of coincidences, no. 1 son has British, Irish, and Italian passports. I don't know this, but wouldn't be surprised if many Gibraltarians have dual nationality.
ciao for now,
'o nonno
It's not impossible to renounce British citizenship - it's just a 'renunciation' of your citizenship made to the Spanish authorities as part of the naturalisation process isn't recognised under British law. You can only renounce your British citizenship by making an application to the Home Office. Some countries will insist that you do that before naturalising as they do not allow dual nationality - as far as I am aware Spain is not one of those countries.
Old Aug 15th 2015, 2:45 pm
Herreño

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's not impossible to renounce British citizenship - it's just a 'renunciation' of your citizenship made to the Spanish authorities as part of the naturalisation process isn't recognised under British law. You can only renounce your British citizenship by making an application to the Home Office. Some countries will insist that you do that before naturalising as they do not allow dual nationality - as far as I am aware Spain is not one of those countries.
Indeed, you sir are absolutely well informed and quite correct.