Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

getting money back from the bank

getting money back from the bank

Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:14 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default getting money back from the bank

Help last week I told the bank I didnt want a house hold insurance ..... I had new through them I asked them not to pay the old one I signed to terminate it .............. but the money was still taken out ............. I can get it back isnt that right up to 14 days after payment
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: getting money back from the bank

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Help last week I told the bank I didnt want a house hold insurance ..... I had new through them I asked them not to pay the old one I signed to terminate it .............. but the money was still taken out ............. I can get it back isnt that right up to 14 days after payment
Just go in and explain, they should refund the money to your account.
Old Nov 8th 2007, 6:34 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jdr
Just go in and explain, they should refund the money to your account.
Thanks
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to give the bank 1 months notice before they take the annual premium with ours ... you have to remember when its due as they dont send out a renewal
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:25 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Not sure if this will help, but our bank very kindly paid out 175E from our account to pay house insurance for someone else with a simular name, at that time we thought it was our house insurance being paid a month early. It was about 6 months later when I realised what had happened went into our bank told them to check there records which they did, they reimbursed the money to account straight away. I would think if they could do it for us, they will be able to do the same for you after all you did sign a form which they should have on file. Good luck
Old Nov 8th 2007, 7:42 pm
Click my Signature

sjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to allsjrw is a name known to all

Originally Posted by crispygirl
Not sure if this will help, but our bank very kindly paid out 175E from our account to pay house insurance for someone else with a simular name, at that time we thought it was our house insurance being paid a month early. It was about 6 months later when I realised what had happened went into our bank told them to check there records which they did, they reimbursed the money to account straight away. I would think if they could do it for us, they will be able to do the same for you after all you did sign a form which they should have on file. Good luck
GOOD LUCK.

Its taken us two years to get back €18,000 that was a lost cheque.
They don't just cancel and re-issue, charging you thirty quid for the privilege, they have to take it to court for some Spanish reason which is probably that we are foriegners and we have to pay for that. But regardless of that, SOMEONE should rewrite this stupid and outdated law asap. This is the 21st century, so someone tell them.

In addition, we will receive no interest on it for two years worth of 18000 at whatever rate, AND pay our solicitor, their solicitor, all costs and expenses, judges fees and who knows what else. So out of €18,000 we can probably expect to see €10-12,000

Spanish banks do what they want, when they want to, with our money. And we have to pay for the privilege of having an account. We pay to write a cheque and we pay to put a cheque in - so they get paid twice for each cheque; and it looks like they may be charging percentage rather than flat fee.

And we subsequently found out that the manager of the bank could have just stopped and re-issued, but was obviously in a bad mood that day and just too arsey.

Am I bitter about it??

Well, wouldn't you be?

I hope you get your money back with no penalties and don't have to go through what we went through.

Please everyone - DO NOT USE CHEQUES IN SPAIN - CERTAINLY DO NOT GET PAID FOR ANYTHING BY CHEQUE.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:40 am
this is me

Went in this morning, and he imediatly put it back into my account.
Thanks every one
Old Nov 9th 2007, 11:42 am
this is me

Originally Posted by sjrw
GOOD LUCK.

Its taken us two years to get back €18,000 that was a lost cheque.
They don't just cancel and re-issue, charging you thirty quid for the privilege, they have to take it to court for some Spanish reason which is probably that we are foriegners and we have to pay for that. But regardless of that, SOMEONE should rewrite this stupid and outdated law asap. This is the 21st century, so someone tell them.

In addition, we will receive no interest on it for two years worth of 18000 at whatever rate, AND pay our solicitor, their solicitor, all costs and expenses, judges fees and who knows what else. So out of €18,000 we can probably expect to see €10-12,000

Spanish banks do what they want, when they want to, with our money. And we have to pay for the privilege of having an account. We pay to write a cheque and we pay to put a cheque in - so they get paid twice for each cheque; and it looks like they may be charging percentage rather than flat fee.

And we subsequently found out that the manager of the bank could have just stopped and re-issued, but was obviously in a bad mood that day and just too arsey.

Am I bitter about it??

Well, wouldn't you be?

I hope you get your money back with no penalties and don't have to go through what we went through.

Please everyone - DO NOT USE CHEQUES IN SPAIN - CERTAINLY DO NOT GET PAID FOR ANYTHING BY CHEQUE.
I would change banks......what a mess and what problems. What a situation to be in.
As you say a law on to there own.
Old Nov 9th 2007, 12:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Went in this morning, and he imediatly put it back into my account.
Thanks every one
Nice one ;-)