Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Geranium Moth Spray

Geranium Moth Spray

Old May 24th 2012, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

polly.walker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Geranium Moth Spray

I have quite a few Geraniums in my garden and as with previous years I suspect that they will suffer the attentions of a small moth which seems to make holes in the stem and then the plant dies.

Can anyone tell me if there is something I can spray them with to stop this happening.
Old May 24th 2012, 1:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Geranium Moth Spray

I use Decis from Bayer. The active ingredient is deltamethrin.

Don't buy the stuff sold specifically for the moth - it's usually deltamethrin in expensive packaging.

Spray at least every 30 days until the moths go - usually around September/October.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Fred
Old May 24th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

we use Fertiplan, "insecticida especial geranios" from our local garden centre, the owner said use once a week, it cost 6.30€ for a 500ml spray bottle
Old May 24th 2012, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

Our local garden center sell various potions to combat the moths but when talking to one of the guys that works there I found out that they use moth balls, not the stuff they sell!

Originally Posted by polly.walker
Thank you Fred
Old May 24th 2012, 6:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
we use Fertiplan, "insecticida especial geranios" from our local garden centre, the owner said use once a week, it cost 6.30€ for a 500ml spray bottle
That's exactly the point I was making about buying the "special" sprays.

That bottle is 99.5% water and you pay €6.30 for it.

Buy a bottle of proper insecticide and it will last for years.

If you only have a couple of plants then maybe the €6.30 bottle will last a year.

By the way, you are not trying to kill the moth - just the caterpillars and there are loads of insecticides that do that.
Old May 26th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Fred, will look into that when I need more !!
Old May 27th 2012, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

To Tim1963

Moth balls you say Just the ones you can buy in Mercadona What do they do with them? Just put them on top of the soil in the pot?
Old May 27th 2012, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

Yes just regular mothballs. Looked to be about 2-3 in each pot just on top of the soil.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Tim. I'll try that.
Old May 27th 2012, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by tim1963
Yes just regular mothballs. Looked to be about 2-3 in each pot just on top of the soil.
I very much doubt that they could have any effect. Mothballs are normally used in confined spaces such as wardrobes or boxes of clothes as it is the vapour that is released by them that kills the moths.

A mothball in a flowerpot in the garden will lose any vapour into the air.

Incidentally, the moths don't do any harm, it's the caterpillars which hatch from the eggs the moth lays in the flowers and they burrow into the plant stems which is where the damage occurs.

You don't spray to kill the moths it's the caterpillars that you must destroy.