Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gas Heaters/Bottles, Help!

Gas Heaters/Bottles, Help!

Old Feb 13th 2015, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas Heaters/Bottles, Help!

Originally Posted by teuchterpete
Saw a new gas heater advertised at 56euros on boards besides A92 going into Seville other day. Think it was at Bricomat ( could be wrong!) Perhaps best bet is to get rid of old one ( or sell it on at some market or other)
Pete
It had the problem from new the same as the one it replaced, it is now just over a year old. Supersol has exactly the same model (Negocio) on sale at 89,99 locally. The carton is the same as mine and also states Butane gas 30mBar.
So I have 2 Butane heaters, 4 regulators 29mBar, 2 Repsol Butane gas bottles and 1 Cepsa Butane Gas bottle. Mix n match they all exhibit the same problem.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elle1971
We had a similar problem. We bought a can of compressed air from the local ferreteria and gave the nozzle (fire end not gas bottle end) a blast of air after wiggling a cotton bud in there gently (it came out caked). Worked a treat. It's safe because you're not dismantling anything... and for the cost of a can of air, may be worth a try.
Hope you get sorted - it's bloomin' cold right now!
E x
I've got one of the old tools for clearing the pilots on gas water heaters, I tried that on both but there was no difference, true I haven't tried air but the problem appears to be too much pressure.
Did you have the same problem with the flame lifting away from the jet and burning noisily.
I think I'll accept it as it is untill next winter when I'll try with an Italian gas regulator. Maybe it's a fiendish plot by the gas bottlers to make everyone use more gas.................
Old Feb 13th 2015, 7:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
It had the problem from new the same as the one it replaced, it is now just over a year old. Supersol has exactly the same model (Negocio) on sale at 89,99 locally. The carton is the same as mine and also states Butane gas 30mBar.
So I have 2 Butane heaters, 4 regulators 29mBar, 2 Repsol Butane gas bottles and 1 Cepsa Butane Gas bottle. Mix n match they all exhibit the same problem.
As an outsider to all of the comments, I think it is fair to say that the issue is NOT with any of the equipment.

I suspect it could be down to temperature or humidity.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 8:47 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maybe1day
I've got one of the old tools for clearing the pilots on gas water heaters, I tried that on both but there was no difference, true I haven't tried air but the problem appears to be too much pressure.
Did you have the same problem with the flame lifting away from the jet and burning noisily.
I think I'll accept it as it is untill next winter when I'll try with an Italian gas regulator. Maybe it's a fiendish plot by the gas bottlers to make everyone use more gas.................
Yes, exactly the same issue. The flame was sitting about 3/4 of a inch above where it should be when trying to light it and making a blowing sound... so when you release the dial it just goes out. This was on two brand new fires. We took the first one back but when it did it on the second I did some research and that's what it was. It's just dust in the nozzle so I think the fire overcompensates which then affects the pressure.

Good luck!

Elle x
Old Feb 13th 2015, 9:42 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking about it, this symptom - the noisy flame and 'lifting' of the flame away from the jet - is what happens when the bottle is running out - so perversely it may be symptomatic of low pressure rather than (or as well as?) high.

Or too cold gas. Or dirty jet.

I know, I'm rambling.

BTW, A visit of up to an hour from the gas or electric repair man in our village would be 30 Euros.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 10:04 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

This happened to us with new bottles Jimenato.

Dirty jet in our case - hence my suggestion of compressed air above.

E x
Old Feb 13th 2015, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's definitely better with bottles that are nearly empty, I ran the Cepsa one to the end and had an old Repsol with a little in it, with full/half full bottles the flame lifts off anything between half an inch to 2 inches and goes out if the switch/button is released I'll try the compressed air next week. I wish I could speak enough Spanish to be able to talk to someone in the stores about it.
As for temperature and humidity, I've tried from 9 to 23C and 40% to 75% relative humidity.
Old Feb 13th 2015, 2:57 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
As an outsider to all of the comments, I think it is fair to say that the issue is NOT with any of the equipment.

I suspect it could be down to temperature or humidity.
I would have thought they should run satisfactorily in a variety of conditions.

Both of mine certainly do, in a wide range of both temperature and humidity.