Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Gas Heaters/Bottles, Help!

Gas Heaters/Bottles, Help!

Old Feb 7th 2015, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gas Heaters/Bottles, Help!

If my suggestions fail to deliver, then go and buy a two bar electric fire, then at least you will know that the ceiling is warm even if you are stone cold.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

And you'll have a huge electricity bill as well!
Old Feb 7th 2015, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Neptuno
And you'll have a huge electricity bill as well!
But at least your mind will be diverted by this new and unwelcome addition to your life in Spain.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Talking to my neighbors (It happens sometimes) they either use logs or heat pumps. The heaters cost 79 and 69 Euros and the Cachofos (regulators 4) between 8 and 15, I think I will continue to use the heaters with the sponge for the first couple of hours in the morning and in the evening back to the A/C.
Everything points to the regulators, when I go to Italy next time I will buy one there and connect it after the Spanish one, the system for cutting off the gas on the italian one is much better too. The Spanish one is necessary to connect the gas bottle as the fittings are different.
Thanks for all the suggestions.
As an aside I have a gas ring for external use, I have also tried the bottles and regulators on that, if anything the pressure seemed low.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 9:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I have also had this problem and solved it by using part used cylinders.

I.E. I would take a cylinder that had been partially used on the water heater and place it into the catalytic heater.
The problem was intermittent and generally occurred in very cold weather.
Old Feb 8th 2015, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

I am glad that I'm not the only one after all. This bottle was new about 10 days ago, It does seem to be a bit better today, with a judicious bit of wiggling of the lever I didn't need the sponge, twice. Unfortunately we chucked the gas water heater because of the constant battery connection probs and the fact that the gas always seemed to finish when we were all soapy.
Slightly relieved...........................
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

I use a portable gas heater bought from Leroy Merlin last year. It runs fine on Butane except when the bottle is nearly empty and it is cold (less then about 4C) Butane runs on a lower pressure than Propane so it is essential to use the correct regulator for the gas type. Both should work on any fire with the correct regulator. What is essential for any portable fire without a fixed flue is to get a Carbon Monoxide detector it could save your life!
Pete.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is that there is only one type of regulator for both Propane and Butane in Spain ( domestic use )

Both bottles have the same fittings whereas in UK the fittings are different to prevent using the wrong type of regulator
Old Feb 9th 2015, 12:50 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

For what it's worth, we happen to have 10 propane tanks and 3 butane tanks, so we use mostly propane for our gas needs. However, propane is only available at the Repsol depot, or with delivery by special order, so occasionally we exchange butane tanks if we are getting low on propane.

In either case, we haven't detected any difference in terms of how the heat or water boiler operates with either type. They seem functionally identical. And we've even measured how long Propane vs. Butane tanks last with identical usage patterns, and they also seem identical, although propane is €2 per bottle cheaper - yes, it's because it's sold by weight, and propane is "heavier", so less cost per equal volume. But it doesn't seem to provide any less energy output per tank.

Also, the problem with the pilot "burning above the sensor" and ultimately going out when there's too much moisture or not enough oxygen in the air seems to be identical with propane or butane.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 12:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Both of our heaters came from Leroy M. I buy the gas bottles from the local Repsol or Cepsa petrol stations. I didn't know there was any difference in them (12,5kg of gas) and the same price/fittings. When I go to get one it is just one of many that they give me. Tomorrow I'll have closer look. I have only ever seen one type of domestic regulator here.
We use the A/c for most of our heating and the gas early morning when there is a fair bit of activity and the place gets a bit of an airing too.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Just had a look, The gas bottle (Cepsa) says it is Butane, The regulator is.-
Mod REP-30
Press 29mBar
Tipo Gas GLP-B/P

Seeing as this problem started about 2 or 3 years ago after a new bottle was put on the heater, could it be that the gas in the bottles has changed.
I only used the heater in Jan/Feb and then it was put away for a year. It had been used until the bottle of gas ran out. when it was taken out the following Jan a new bottle (12.5kg) was obtained and that is when the problem started.
All 4 regulators that I have are the same with both heaters, (catalytic and normal) 2 of the regulators are from at least 5 years ago while the other 2 are from 2013/2014
Did the gas in these bottles change a couple of years ago and if this is so why don't the new regulators work?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:16 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. I would love to know the answer. I think it's time to call in your local friendly gas repair and service man.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:49 am
BE Forum Addict

To pay him as someone suggested 60 Euros for what is now a S/H heater that cost 1 cent less new, seems like paying 55000 Euros (new) to get my S/H car serviced. I think we will soldier on as now and hope it gets warmer soon.
This appears to be a mismatch between gas and heater and the friendly gas service guy would in all likely hood say just that, as he adds 60 Euros plus VAT you want a receipt guv.....................
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Saw a new gas heater advertised at 56euros on boards besides A92 going into Seville other day. Think it was at Bricomat ( could be wrong!) Perhaps best bet is to get rid of old one ( or sell it on at some market or other)
Pete
Old Feb 12th 2015, 9:25 am
No es moco de pavo

Elle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond reputeElle1971 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a similar problem. We bought a can of compressed air from the local ferreteria and gave the nozzle (fire end not gas bottle end) a blast of air after wiggling a cotton bud in there gently (it came out caked). Worked a treat. It's safe because you're not dismantling anything... and for the cost of a can of air, may be worth a try.
Hope you get sorted - it's bloomin' cold right now!
E x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.