Garden hoses

Old Feb 16th 2015, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Garden hoses

Anyone tried and used the Flexihose type of garden hose? If so, what do you think, are they any good?
Just looked on Amazon ES and the top two listed are different lengths of the same product. Only one opinion for each though. One gets 5 stars, the other 1!
Saw the same things on the local market also and was tempted to get one, but prefer Amazon as I can always send it back.
The first opinion said they had to wait a long time for delivery as they are from a third party, so don't fancy waiting ages only to find it's no good!
Also, in my ferreteria I've seen the flat type of hose on a reel which expands with water the winds back flat on to the reel.
Anyone tried this type?
Thanks.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 12:51 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Garden hoses

I would suggest Flexihose is not really suitable as a garden hose. It is designed for permanent installation e.g. to feed a pool / pond. I have tried self coil and flat hoses.

IMHO you can't beat a quality hose on a reel for a garden hose, e.g. Hozelock.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that, much appreciated.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 1:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Missile, that the flexihose is for installation, not waving around, but I have a "flat" hose that winds into a small reel, and it works just fine. I have regular hoses too, which are bulky and heavy, but quick to set up. If I had a small garden or storage space was at a premium I would certainly use the flat style of house.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 16th 2015 at 2:23 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that. I currently have two hoses, one quite thick, joined together as I need it to stretch from the outside tap to the garage at the front when I clean the car and water the front bit of garden. I'm totally fed up with them kinking all the time and having to constantly sort it out before I carry on with what I'm trying to do. They are heavy also and I need to drag them around which inevitably results in another kink which is so annoying.
I'm hoping to choose a hose that doesn't give me these problems and which can be easily wound neatly away.
Old Feb 16th 2015, 5:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute

Over the years here we have tried all sorts. We have a roll of UK hosepipe we brought with us on a proper winder. I don't like that because of the kinks problem. We bought what I think you are describing. It is a length of blue hosepipe that expands and goes rigid as the pressure builds up. It doesn't kink in normal use which is handy. When you finish with it you are supposed to drain it of water (hang it from something). We then keep it in an empty bucket. It is easy to get mud on it when in use. Apart from that it is good albeit expensive.

Something like this 75ft NON KINKING BLUE EXPANDING GARDEN HOSE + SPRAY GUN EXPANDABLE HOSEPIPE | eBay
Old Feb 16th 2015, 8:43 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biffta
Thanks for that. I currently have two hoses, one quite thick, joined together as I need it to stretch from the outside tap to the garage at the front when I clean the car and water the front bit of garden. I'm totally fed up with them kinking all the time and having to constantly sort it out before I carry on with what I'm trying to do. They are heavy also and I need to drag them around which inevitably results in another kink which is so annoying.
I'm hoping to choose a hose that doesn't give me these problems and which can be easily wound neatly away.
Have you considered a permanent supply to a tap fitted nearer to where you clean your car? It is a very simple DIY or an inexpensive job for a tradesman to do it for you.
Old Feb 17th 2015, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by missile
Have you considered a permanent supply to a tap fitted nearer to where you clean your car? It is a very simple DIY or an inexpensive job for a tradesman to do it for you.
Not really although it's worth thinking about. I've just had some rendering work completed on the outside of the front walls of the house and I will now need to power wash the road to clean it up a bit. Certainly I don't think my current setup will permit this.
Thanks for the suggestion and thanks to those who have offered advice and information.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

We've tried all types and all prices over the years.

The one thing to remember is if they are left out in the sun they perish quickly, just one summer is enough to cause this!

Because we have 3, 30 metre hoses we connect together to reach the further parts of the garden we leave them in situ but leave them full of water, this acts as a heatsink and keeps them flexible.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We've tried all types and all prices over the years.

The one thing to remember is if they are left out in the sun they perish quickly, just one summer is enough to cause this!

Because we have 3, 30 metre hoses we connect together to reach the further parts of the garden we leave them in situ but leave them full of water, this acts as a heatsink and keeps them flexible.
As I posted earlier I have a long connection of two hoses, which because it's so long and heavy it takes a lot of effort to wind it up on to the reel, then of course have to pull it all out again next time. Consequently I leave it out most of the time and it looks a mess.
Been looking at a Gardena model which attaches to the wall and swings out when needed. Also when you've pulled the hose out from the reel you press a button and the hose automatically winds back on to the reel and away from view. Sounds wonderful but it's not cheap. Might consider it though as a solution.
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:06 am
Started off with nothing

Here you go >
Outdoor Garden Tap Installation Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors Outdoor Garden Tap Installation Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors
Old Feb 18th 2015, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for link, much obliged.