Gandia

Old Aug 30th 2018, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Ossie_1948 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gandia

Looking to take 3 months in Gandia and see if it's somewhere (or close) to where I might want to relocate. Been high in the Andes (8500 ft) for over 4 years and want to move back to Europe for a while before the time clock expires !!!!!

Been researching different places, Alicante and up the coast - Altea, Denia, Javea etc. and found a mention of Gandia on a forum somewhere.

Hoping someone can add some advice, looking to rent furnished accommodation and hopefully that won't be a nightmare.

How easy is it to get deposits returned ?
How easy to find somewhere decent for the short term ?
Looked at various websites and wonder how authentic they might be ?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it - will be a late November/early December move this year.

Thanks in advance
Old Aug 31st 2018, 8:16 am
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gandia

Originally Posted by Ossie_1948
Looking to take 3 months in Gandia and see if it's somewhere (or close) to where I might want to relocate. Been high in the Andes (8500 ft) for over 4 years and want to move back to Europe for a while before the time clock expires !!!!!

Been researching different places, Alicante and up the coast - Altea, Denia, Javea etc. and found a mention of Gandia on a forum somewhere.

Hoping someone can add some advice, looking to rent furnished accommodation and hopefully that won't be a nightmare.

How easy is it to get deposits returned ?
How easy to find somewhere decent for the short term ?
Looked at various websites and wonder how authentic they might be ?

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it - will be a late November/early December move this year.

Thanks in advance
I am sure you already know to be careful when renting, deposit/bond translated into Spanish means gift.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

Found a place via Idealista..have background checked the realtor/middle person and they seem very legit.

They need a copy of my passport in order to begin the paperwork, obviously am loathe to send this but it seems that I don't have many options. I hold an E.U. passport and a pension which should allow me to extend the 90 day stay. I belolieve that I need to go to the local police station to get this done.

Is there anything else that I need to be aware of or even beware of.

Thanks

Ossie
Old Oct 11th 2018, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I do not think there is a system to 'extend' your stay - either you are non-resident or if you are living in Spain you (by the book - if you stay beyond 90 days) should apply for residencia. However, there is no enforcement as such and if you are only renting for 3 months I would not worry especially as you hold an EU passport and not involved with visas. If your intention is to stay in Spain long-term then you need to formalise your situation with NIE, residencia, padron etc

Regarding your rental contract, you will need to provide passport details to prove ID for the validity of the contract. Standard practice and can only be avoided with using a Spanish NIE which you don't have at this stage.

Last edited by spainrico; Oct 11th 2018 at 3:31 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

sorry I guess I wasn't too clear. With a pension that should allow me to prove that I can support myself after 90 days, I can apply pretty easily for an extended stay for another 90 days at which time I would be moving on. I am not sure I grasped it but that's not uncommon for me sad to say. I can sign a lease using my passport with no real problems, and then apply for my NIE at any time during my initial 90 day stay which should be granted when I arrive with my E.U. passport ? Hope I haven't made more of this than necessary.

thanks for the help
Old Oct 11th 2018, 4:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

The NIE is really a number to identify you for tax purposes if you have tax liabilities ie own property, car or going to declare for tax here - sounds as if you are not so NIE is not required and does not seem worth obtaining.

It really boils down to there are rules for short stay (less than 90 days) and rules for longer stays (ie becoming resident) those who want to dance between the 2 options can probably get away with it especially, as I said, as you have EU passport and are not subject tighter visa control issues.

Given you are not applying for residencia not sure where/when/who you will have to prove you can support yourself unless the rental agent or owner give you a hard time.
Old Oct 11th 2018, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

spainrico

many many thanks for clearing that up. want to do 6 months and then move on and maybe return at a later date...lived in Ecuador for almost 5 years, fancied a change and while my EU passport (U.K by birth) and not being sure how Brexit will affect things thought I would take this opportunity.

I presume that my pension wouldn't class as "income" and therefore not subject to tax. Don't own a car, nor would, not intending to purchase so would that pretty much put me outside any need to register as a resident ? Or is anyone planning a long term stay (outside this 6 months for instance) required to register.

While I am on here, what requirements would I need for insurance, having lived in the U.S. for 35 years and Ecuador for 5, I only hold a UK passport and have no residential address there.

cheers
Old Oct 12th 2018, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Your presumption is wrong - pension income is taxable (why would it not be?) but there are of course allowances etc. But if you are planning on staying under the radar then you will not be making a tax declaracion in Spain. Everyone has to be tax resident somewhere and should be paying in their country of residence (their centre of economic interest)

I do not know how you are going to get health cover, insurance cover might be your only option.

Your plan does not really fit the 'system' - suggest you research more here https://www.gov.uk/world/living-in-spain
and if you are interested here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/advice-f...ghts-agreement
Old Oct 12th 2018, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

My pension isn't taxable in the U.S. I wasn't specifically trying to stay under the radar per se, merely looking at staying in a European country for a period of time and them moving on. I saw that after 6 months I should be paying tax on income, but wrongly presumed that government pensions were not classed as "income." and thought therefore that government pensions were not taxable. I "assumed" wrongly that it was a similar system to the U.S. in that pensions are not taxable at certain levels. It is a government pension and not a private one. As I won't be looking for resident status and moving on it wold seem from what I have read I would not need to pay taxes. I am not planning on staying longer than 6 months.

I will look into the insurance coverage for health purposes

thanks again
Old Oct 12th 2018, 12:38 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

My pension isn't taxable in the U.S. I wasn't specifically trying to stay under the radar per se, merely looking at staying in a European country for a period of time and them moving on. I saw that after 6 months I should be paying tax on income, but wrongly presumed that government pensions were not classed as "income." and thought therefore that government pensions were not taxable. I "assumed" wrongly that it was a similar system to the U.S. in that pensions are not taxable at certain levels. It is a government pension and not a private one. As I won't be looking for resident status and moving on it wold seem from what I have read I would not need to pay taxes. I am not planning on staying longer than 6 months.

I will look into the insurance coverage for health purposes

thanks again
I think you still may be confusing the two 'residency' status.

(1) If you are staying for more than 90 days, then you should apply for residency by signing on the list of foreigners (form EX18). This will also give you an NIE
(2) If you are in Spain for more than 183 days per calendar year, then you are automatically tax resident.
Old Oct 12th 2018, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

snikpoh

My initial post was based on what you said, and perhaps i wasn't completely clear in my post.

Then it seems as though the advice was I only needed it if I owned stuff and therefore wouldn't need one.

I thought that I could stay for 90 days, then file for a NIE which would give me another 90 days (maybe more but that's all I would need).

Would that seem to be the basic "requirements?" Do I need proof of being able to sustain myself financially for those extra 90 days (my pension would suffice) or not ?

I want to see if Spain is somewhere I would like to be long term but felt that 6 months would get me over the "on holiday" feeling and how I would manage living day to day.

That's the basic premise and it seems to be more confusing or maybe my true lack of understanding makes it seem that way.

thanks to all for your help
Old Oct 12th 2018, 1:54 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Ossie

You are definitely getting things confused.

NIE is an identity number which you normally need to have before you can rent or buy accommodation.
90 days refers to signing onto the foreigner register which people have a tendency to call residencia
183 days you become tax resident

Rosemary
Old Oct 12th 2018, 1:58 pm
Just Joined

Rosemay

thank you.

Is/are there a straight option here:

I have a EU passport

i want to stay for 6 months.

I would get "permission" to stay for 90 days when I get there ?

I apply for a further 90 and get an NIE from the local police department upon proof of sustainability ?

I don't want to over complicate things. I don't want to do anything illegal. I won't stay beyond 6 months.

Simple answers please on a postcard...

Old Oct 12th 2018, 3:50 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Rosemay

thank you.

Is/are there a straight option here:

I have a EU passport

i want to stay for 6 months. no problem

I would get "permission" to stay for 90 days when I get there ? no permission required for less than 90 days

I apply for a further 90 and get an NIE from the local police department upon proof of sustainability ? more than 90 days is called residency

I don't want to over complicate things. I don't want to do anything illegal. I won't stay beyond 6 months. then you will NOT be a tax resident

Simple answers please on a postcard...

Why do you keep talking about a "further 90 days"? This option doesn't exist!!!

Within 90 days, you must go to the National Police Station (extranjeria) and sign on as a 'resident'.

I say again - if you are here for more than 90 days then you MUST sign on the list of foreigners and get 'residency'.

You can get an NIE without even stepping foot in Spain - completely separate process / issue
Old Oct 12th 2018, 4:18 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

OK

We do not seem to be winning here so I suggest that when you arrive in Gandia that you make contact with the gestor below. He is not only excellent but he also speaks English.

GRUPO FAUS CONSULTORES SL
C/ Alfaro, 2 Entl.
46701 Gandia (Valencia)
Tel.962 965 859
Fax.962 840 268
E-mail: [email protected]

Rosemary