Galicia

Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Galicia

The summer holidays have started and here in Cadiz province it is mayhem on the roads and supermarkets as people from all over and mainly Spanish, arrive for the long hot summer by the sea.

I have heard that Galicia is very beautiful and we would like to take a trip there, mainly to the coast around Vigo, Pontevedra and La Coruna. Can anyone up there tell me whether there is a similar influx of holidaymakers or second-home owners in those areas?

I come from a very touristy area in West Cornwall so am familiar with the frustrations of hordes of people suddenly descending in the summer and shattering the laid-back rural way of doing things (are my prejudices showing!

Would be glad of any observations from Galicia. Muchas gracias.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Galicia

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
The summer holidays have started and here in Cadiz province it is mayhem on the roads and supermarkets as people from all over and mainly Spanish, arrive for the long hot summer by the sea.

I have heard that Galicia is very beautiful and we would like to take a trip there, mainly to the coast around Vigo, Pontevedra and La Coruna. Can anyone up there tell me whether there is a similar influx of holidaymakers or second-home owners in those areas?

I come from a very touristy area in West Cornwall so am familiar with the frustrations of hordes of people suddenly descending in the summer and shattering the laid-back rural way of doing things (are my prejudices showing!

Would be glad of any observations from Galicia. Muchas gracias.
I can't tell you from personal experience as I spent my week there in October (a long time ago). But it is beautiful, and Santiago de Compestella is well worth a day too(I am not sure I have spelt that right). I have just spoken to my sister who lived there for a year, and while she was there she said it did get very busy in summer but a nice busy, not like CDS and the likes.
Old Jun 24th 2006, 4:53 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Galicia

Hi there
We live in Galicia and run a Casa Rural here (B&B) we live in land so we can help you with some information, but the coast is not our forte. At the moment we are quite busy,in the house, so we don’t have much time to give you a full load down on what we know.
We will write more later.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

My friend and neighbour is from Galicia. I will introduce you and she can tell you exactly what it is like. Glynis
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:00 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Galicia

Well it is lunchtime now and all of our guests have departed for the day exploring the Ribeira Sacra so we can take sometime to answer your query.
You are right in thinking that Galicia is a beautiful part of Spain. We don’t have the mayhem that seems to spoil Cadiz. However like any part of Spain it certainly gets busier during August.
The coast here in Galicia, can be rather built up. Not with high rise blocks, but chalets and other housing. To be honest we thought it would be more natural. There does not seem to be those hidden coves you find in Devon and Cornwall. Of our experience and from what others have told us, the most unspoilt part is the Costa de Morte. That is for a reason it is more rain and lower temps through out the year. The areas you talk about are more populated, but you can still find areas of beauty.
There seems to be lot of second homeowners along the coast. These are mainly Spanish, like folks from Madrid.
Here area few web sites that may be of interest to you.
If you want to know more then by all means PM us.
Tourist guide to Galicia.
An Estate Agent that covers the coast and inland Galicia
Our weather at the moment.
The local TV Station with loads of links.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks for all the info. Look forward to meeting your Galician neighbour, Glynis, and Ian & Irene, lovely, interesting website.

Nicol - next time in Spain, eh.
Old Jun 25th 2006, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
Many thanks for all the info. Look forward to meeting your Galician neighbour, Glynis, and Ian & Irene, lovely, interesting website.

Nicol - next time in Spain, eh.

Its a date!
Old Jul 15th 2006, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
To be honest we thought it would be more natural. There does not seem to be those hidden coves you find in Devon and Cornwall.
Stacks of that sort of stuff in eastern Asturias. I used Google Earth (satellite pictures in an application) to find beaches that weren't obvious from the maps or signposts. Though there are websites that list the coves, some are nigh on impossible to find by driving around. When we first started visiting Asturias, one of our favourites was off a small track/road and would rarely have more than 2 or 3 cars pulled up off the road.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 9:54 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I have friends who went on a cycling/camping holiday along that coast some years back. Returning to London they found they were starting a family, so got wed, and moved to the country. So I reckon that anywhere that can have a life changing impact must be worth a visit....