Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cost of building your own villa

Cost of building your own villa

Old Jul 14th 2006, 2:14 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of building your own villa

It's a bit of a ´how long is a piece of string´ question, but can anyone give me some ball park figures for the cost of building your own villa?

I already know how much I could expect to pay for the land, but don't really know how much a builder would charge for, say, an average size 3 bedroom villa with pool.

Also, could anyone recommend a builder/architect in the CDL/Ayamonte area who would be willing to take on a one off project of a villa.

Thanks
Old Jul 14th 2006, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Amarilla will become famous soon enoughAmarilla will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cost of building your own villa

Originally Posted by keithwalters
It's a bit of a ´how long is a piece of string´ question, but can anyone give me some ball park figures for the cost of building your own villa?

I already know how much I could expect to pay for the land, but don't really know how much a builder would charge for, say, an average size 3 bedroom villa with pool.

Also, could anyone recommend a builder/architect in the CDL/Ayamonte area who would be willing to take on a one off project of a villa.

Thanks
It depends on the quality of the finish and fittings etc. A good working figure would be to allow up to 1000 euros per square metre. You could do it for less but I doubt that it would be more.

Architects fees, licences taxes etc could add another 20%.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Thanks
So you're talking around 150m2 minimum; probably closer to 175m2 of habitable space? I'd suggest a figure around 500 € per square metre if you choose inexpensive materials and manage most of the build yourself - i.e. find your own labourers, order your own materials and machinery/plant, but you are going to need to be on top of the project 24/7 and put in a lot of work (and learn a lot in the process). Unfortunately, you'll also pay for any mistakes you make.

The pool and surrounding area will probably add around 25,000 € on top, as a minimum - again depending on pool size, surrounds and materials.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 5:28 pm
Just Joined

Amarilla will become famous soon enoughAmarilla will become famous soon enough

So there you go Keith. So far you have two estimates. 500 and 1000 euros/m2.

That pretty much sums up the situation. You wont get it for less than 500 and it shouldnt cost more than 1000. You will find builders quotes can vary by almost the same amount.

We ended up paying about 750 but we did nothing ourselves. As Unexpat says, do allow for the "urbanisacion" which includes the pool, any perimeter walls or fences and any terraces - basically anything that isn't the house. If you have a decent sized plot - say 1000m2 then the cost of all this could be a lot more than 25000. We found that this cost one third of the total cost. It is also the area which tends to get excluded from the building contract so it can easily blow your budget when you find out what it really costs.
Old Jul 15th 2006, 6:33 pm
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amarilla

That pretty much sums up the situation. You wont get it for less than 500 and it shouldnt cost more than 1000. You will find builders quotes can vary by almost the same amount.

We ended up paying about 750 but we did nothing ourselves. As Unexpat says, do allow for the "urbanisacion" which includes the pool, any perimeter walls or fences and any terraces - basically anything that isn't the house. If you have a decent sized plot - say 1000m2 then the cost of all this could be a lot more than 25000. We found that this cost one third of the total cost. It is also the area which tends to get excluded from the building contract so it can easily blow your budget when you find out what it really costs.
Thank you all for the info. At this stage it is just ball park figures that I am interested in so that is great.

All I need now is some recommendations for some good builders and architects.............
Old Jul 15th 2006, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

CDL Ben will become famous soon enoughCDL Ben will become famous soon enough

Thank you all for the info. At this stage it is just ball park figures that I am interested in so that is great.

All I need now is some recommendations for some good builders and architects.............
PM me for details of a good architect. He lives in Malaga but spends most his time down this way and speaks English too which helps.
Old Jul 16th 2006, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

David will become famous soon enoughDavid will become famous soon enough

Thanks
Hello Keith,

This is a common question and generally it breaks down into what you want the builder to do. The main factor affecting the price per metre is the quality of the interior finishes. Doors, windows, flooring, bathroom etc are the items that can be most variable in price.

A standard 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom villa with pitched roof and porch should cost around €600/m2 - €650/m2 to build in the CDL.

8X4 Projected concrete "Gunite" swimming pool, excavation, lights, filter & pump, roman steps etc. fully fitted and working expect to pay around €13,500.

Hope this helps

Regards

David
Old Jul 17th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by Amarilla

Indeed. 250 m2 of outside area with walls could cost you anything from 25k € to 35K € if you're going to do it properly (i.e. decent reinforced concrete foundations, etc.) A lot cheaper to leave it as cultivated terrain, of course, but then all the dust blows into the pool.