Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Furniture Packages?

Furniture Packages?

Old May 20th 2006, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

sheamy is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Furniture Packages?

Hi - I am a newbie looking for some advice!

I am due to take hold of a new build 3 bed Villa in Playa Flamenca (Murcia) in July, and am planning to fly out for a week to complete and furnish it. Can anyone recommend companies that do good furniture packages - and any ideas how long it takes from order to delivery?

I believe there is a new IKEA, so that could be another option, again not sure if I can buy and have it delivered within the same week!

Any advice from experienced ex-pats would me much appreciated!!!
Old May 20th 2006, 2:07 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Furniture Packages?

Originally Posted by sheamy

I am due to take hold of a new build 3 bed Villa in Playa Flamenca (Murcia) in July, and am planning to fly out for a week to complete and furnish it. Can anyone recommend companies that do good furniture packages - and any ideas how long it takes from order to delivery?

I believe there is a new IKEA, so that could be another option, again not sure if I can buy and have it delivered within the same week!

You could check out complementos
http://www.mueblescomplementos.com/
Old May 21st 2006, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, this question has just come up on the Gran Alacant Forum, and someone else posted the following links:-
http://www.estilo309.com/
http://www.carrefour.es/index.html
http://www.interiorsun.net/
http://www.muebleshnosgarcia.com/proveedores.asp
http://www.todomueble.org/ofertasi.htm

The fourth one, was recommended by a few people.

Good luck

Gadget
Old May 21st 2006, 10:50 am
loving life in spain

chirivel is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi shouldnt be a problem with Ikea, my daughter works there and says delivery is available next day but you have to pay extra for it.
The best thing to do is grab an Ikea brochure in uk decide what you want but have back up choices to allow for out of stock items.
Old May 21st 2006, 8:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chirivel
Hi shouldnt be a problem with Ikea, my daughter works there and says delivery is available next day but you have to pay extra for it.
The best thing to do is grab an Ikea brochure in uk decide what you want but have back up choices to allow for out of stock items.
Thanks for all the advice! Chirivel - do you know if IKEA in spain have the same stock as the UK??
Old May 21st 2006, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

coralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nicecoralsoft is just really nice

Thanks for all the advice! Chirivel - do you know if IKEA in spain have the same stock as the UK??
The two around Madrid seem to have the same sort of items, including the ubiquitous Billy bookcases.

You can check for specific items on the website if you're concerned about them.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/es_ES/
We've bought loads over the past 5.5 years in Spain: beds, tables, dining chairs, office chair, desk, cupboard, chest of drawers, shelves, storage units, garden chairs, as well as crockery, lamps, lights, cutlery, glassware and toys. And hot dogs.
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by coralsoft
The two around Madrid seem to have the same sort of items, including the ubiquitous Billy bookcases.

You can check for specific items on the website if you're concerned about them.
http://www.ikea.com/ms/es_ES/
We've bought loads over the past 5.5 years in Spain: beds, tables, dining chairs, office chair, desk, cupboard, chest of drawers, shelves, storage units, garden chairs, as well as crockery, lamps, lights, cutlery, glassware and toys. And hot dogs.
Thanks for the advice coralsoft! Any ideas how much they charge for delivery, and what the standard delivery time is?
Old May 23rd 2006, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for the advice coralsoft! Any ideas how much they charge for delivery, and what the standard delivery time is?
Hi Sheamy, sadly the delivery plan is 'the more you spend on IKEA products - the more they charge you to deliver it' Greedy or what??? As long as you know where you can park it, in an accessible place, you could try hiring a van.

I hate to say this but a week to complete the sale and fully furnish a house? Dream on.......

I thought I was organised, but I cannot believe anyone could achieve this goal. Be prepared for frustration, this is Spain.

On the other hand, unlimited cash reserves are always a good way to resolve problems but who has these?

Good luck

Last edited by susique; May 23rd 2006 at 6:52 pm. Reason: thought of something else
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

ceejay is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Furniture Packages?

Why not visit the following website: www.furniture-almeria.co.uk and have a look at the complete furniture packages this company offers. The packages start from £4500 upwards and include everything you will need for your new villa. They are based in the UK and in Spain.
Old May 24th 2006, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by susique
Hi Sheamy, sadly the delivery plan is 'the more you spend on IKEA products - the more they charge you to deliver it' Greedy or what??? As long as you know where you can park it, in an accessible place, you could try hiring a van.

I hate to say this but a week to complete the sale and fully furnish a house? Dream on.......

I thought I was organised, but I cannot believe anyone could achieve this goal. Be prepared for frustration, this is Spain.

On the other hand, unlimited cash reserves are always a good way to resolve problems but who has these?

Good luck
Susique - A week to furnish a house - surely this is plenty of time?? What would you expect to be the major roadblocks - delivery times?

Good suggestion on the van hire - if IKEA have enough in stock then I can't see it take longer that a week. We are only going to furnish it, not build/decorate?!! Unless there is something I don't know, I'll be the first to admit I have never tried this before in Spain.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

susique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of lightsusique is a glorious beacon of light

Susique - A week to furnish a house - surely this is plenty of time?? What would you expect to be the major roadblocks - delivery times?

Good suggestion on the van hire - if IKEA have enough in stock then I can't see it take longer that a week. We are only going to furnish it, not build/decorate?!! Unless there is something I don't know, I'll be the first to admit I have never tried this before in Spain.
I don't know what kind of deal you have, does your new house come complete with kitchen and light fittings etc? If not -

I would expect it to take the best part of a week to have the kitchen alone fitted. (Once you have chosen it and had it delivered). Putting light fittings on all the bare wires hanging out of ceilings and walls takes time, don't forget things like towel rails for bathrooms (make sure you have enough, holiday homes never have enough! It takes time to choose what you want and you would be very lucky to get absolutely everything from one place.
We have just gone through this, I initially thought I could check out the IKEA catalogue here, place an order locally in Spain and have it all delivered. No way - you have to go in and select everything manually and even with a list it takes ages, then you need an army of people to handle all the trolleys if you want to get everything in one go, we nearly fell foul here and we only wanted to get two sofas, some bookshelves (Billy of course) and some odds and ends! Don't forget IKEA stuff has to be assembled, it takes ages. If you are doing this in the summer its going to be very hot, energy levels will be somewhat depleted too.
In theory it appears simple, but to furnish a place yourself takes time, if you want it to look good. (Actually I expect it takes time even if you don't!!)
Sorry to sound so negative but I am trying to help here, as I say we have just gone through this ourselves and we started in December and have only just finished, although there are still jobs to do in the house and garden.
You didn't mention whether money was an issue but if you have enough in your budget and really need to completely furnish the place in a week, get a company in to do it for you, thats the only way you can guarantee things. When I looked into this I was horrified at the cost.
Good luck

Last edited by susique; May 24th 2006 at 10:22 am.
Old May 24th 2006, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by susique
I don't know what kind of deal you have, does your new house come complete with kitchen and light fittings etc? If not -

I would expect it to take the best part of a week to have the kitchen alone fitted. (Once you have chosen it and had it delivered). Putting light fittings on all the bare wires hanging out of ceilings and walls takes time, don't forget things like towel rails for bathrooms (make sure you have enough, holiday homes never have enough! It takes time to choose what you want and you would be very lucky to get absolutely everything from one place.
We have just gone through this, I initially thought I could check out the IKEA catalogue here, place an order locally in Spain and have it all delivered. No way - you have to go in and select everything manually and even with a list it takes ages, then you need an army of people to handle all the trolleys if you want to get everything in one go, we nearly fell foul here and we only wanted to get two sofas, some bookshelves (Billy of course) and some odds and ends! Don't forget IKEA stuff has to be assembled, it takes ages. If you are doing this in the summer its going to be very hot, energy levels will be somewhat depleted too.
In theory it appears simple, but to furnish a place yourself takes time, if you want it to look good. (Actually I expect it takes time even if you don't!!)
Sorry to sound so negative but I am trying to help here, as I say we have just gone through this ourselves and we started in December and have only just finished, although there are still jobs to do in the house and garden.
You didn't mention whether money was an issue but if you have enough in your budget and really need to completely furnish the place in a week, get a company in to do it for you, thats the only way you can guarantee things. When I looked into this I was horrified at the cost.
Good luck
The kitchen is fully furnished so that won't be an issue, and 2 A/C units are also fitted. It is just myself and my Dad going out there and Dad is a joiner so hopefully the flatpack won't be a problem. But I am worried about the climate when we go out there in the middle of July!

Susique - When you bought you sofas were you able to take them away with you on the same day? Do you know if that is similar for most items at IKEA(bookshelfs, beds etc.?). Also might need to think about fitting an alarm...

In terms of Budget I would like to think £5000 would do it, is this realistic? We plan to rent it out for the first year so are not to worried about having the bext stuff in there.

Thanks for all the advice - I know it will be a challenge, but i am always the optimist!!
Old May 24th 2006, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

The kitchen is fully furnished so that won't be an issue, and 2 A/C units are also fitted. It is just myself and my Dad going out there and Dad is a joiner so hopefully the flatpack won't be a problem. But I am worried about the climate when we go out there in the middle of July!

Susique - When you bought you sofas were you able to take them away with you on the same day? Do you know if that is similar for most items at IKEA(bookshelfs, beds etc.?). Also might need to think about fitting an alarm...

In terms of Budget I would like to think £5000 would do it, is this realistic? We plan to rent it out for the first year so are not to worried about having the bext stuff in there.

Thanks for all the advice - I know it will be a challenge, but i am always the optimist!!
If you have aircon the heat shouldn't be a problem.

IKEA expect you take everything, they have huge showrooms to view stuff, then you go down and pick what you want off shelves except for beds and sofas, stuff that wont flat pack, they have to be fetched for you from a warehouse so you just wait for ages for these to turn up - check out the system before you go or you will wait for ever if you don't speak Spanish, the system is crazy. And don't forget, sofas will take one trolley, flat packs and chairs could take possibly two more and you will need a trolley for stuff like sheets and towels, curtains, accessories etc. so organise yourself so you can do several trips to the vehicle, leaving one person to keep an eye on the other trolleys. It could take ages to get everything loaded.

I suggest you check out other delivery services, there are people who will meet you at IKEA and bring the stuff home for you for a reasonable fee. We did this and it worked like a dream and saved us a lot of grief, well worth the delivery cost which was much less than IKEA's
Try 'IKEA Murcia delivery' in a search engine, there is bound to be some independent delivery person who has caught on and offers a service!
Quickly totting up what we spent, £5,000 could do it for you, just, it depends on what you want really.
Old May 25th 2006, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

jaldridge is an unknown quantity at this point

You can check out http://www.completelyfurniture.com. They are a furniture broker so can help you source the best deal.