Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

furnishing a home

furnishing a home

Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:43 am
Just Joined

here we go is an unknown quantity at this point
Default furnishing a home

Planning to move to Spain ...looking to buy min 3 bedroom house ...wondering if anyone could give us a rough estimate on cost of furnishing over there ? Is 2nd hand an option ? would we be better to look for fully furnished ?
Old Apr 26th 2017, 8:54 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: furnishing a home

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Apr 26th 2017, 9:00 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by here we go
Planning to move to Spain ...looking to buy min 3 bedroom house ...wondering if anyone could give us a rough estimate on cost of furnishing over there ? Is 2nd hand an option ? would we be better to look for fully furnished ?
Is this to be a permanent home, or just for holidays at first? There are plenty of decent furniture stores around in Spain, and some will even supply a full house furnishing, quality may not be the best, actually ignore that 'may' it will be utilitarian but usable, and good if it's just a holiday home. Most furniture stores will deliver from stock, in fact you will be able to ask the question, and often delivery will be the same day, but it really will depend on just what you want, higher end stuff may well take longer to get. Second hand will be similar to UK, some will be good, other not so good, and if the place is fully furnished then you obviously get what is there. If you haven't lived in Spain before then I would suggest renting for a while to ensure you are buying in the right place for you.
Old Apr 26th 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Is this to be a permanent home, or just for holidays at first? There are plenty of decent furniture stores around in Spain, and some will even supply a full house furnishing, quality may not be the best, actually ignore that 'may' it will be utilitarian but usable, and good if it's just a holiday home. Most furniture stores will deliver from stock, in fact you will be able to ask the question, and often delivery will be the same day, but it really will depend on just what you want, higher end stuff may well take longer to get. Second hand will be similar to UK, some will be good, other not so good, and if the place is fully furnished then you obviously get what is there. If you haven't lived in Spain before then I would suggest renting for a while to ensure you are buying in the right place for you.
Excellent advice but also worth noting , particularly in the coastal regions maybe houses sold "furnished" as owners move on or leave Spain. Depending on where you are planning to buy Ikea is never far away. Best range with good service but also can be pricy is El Corte Ingles - one in very large town
Old Apr 26th 2017, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

I plan to source better quality used furniture here in the UK then hire a van to ship it over.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:27 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963
I plan to source better quality used furniture here in the UK then hire a van to ship it over.
I know idiots who do that! One guy I know buys all appliances in the UK at much higher prices (exactly same brands and models you can buy here for much less) and has them shipped here. In fact, he also had UK sockets installed all over his house. Now that's practical.

I think of it as "Union jack logic". Spend more so you're forced to spend more, with the added bonus of rendering it all worth less. Plus, you can moan endlessly about how expensive it is to live abroad (or how much better everything is in England).

Sound familiar? Apparently a national state of mind.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by here we go
We are based north of Alicante. There is a good furniture store on the N332 near El Campello called 'Anticrisis'.Worth a look.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
(or how much better everything is in England).
Funny but I quite often find the opposite with expats i.e. everything is better in Spain and everything in the UK is rubbish. Maybe they only buy the rose tinted sun glasses.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:50 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lgm1963
How do you know it's better quality, most of the furniture we bought while in Spain was of excellent quality, and the stores would even deliver it the same day as they had it in stock, otherwise it was a wait of two or three days, if you bought electrical equipment like ceiling lights, cookers, hobs etc. they would be fitted as part of the deal, no extra payments to make, and if you wanted an small extra job doing they would do that for €10 or so.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:13 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Funny but I quite often find the opposite with expats i.e. everything is better in Spain and everything in the UK is rubbish. Maybe they only buy the rose tinted sun glasses.
Very popular on amazon.co.uk. Better quality, too.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:13 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I looked around my house at the furniture that I brought from the UK and objectively compared it with what I have bought here in Spain and I have to say that my purchases here have been well made and are lasting well. Some of the items that I brought with me are not faring quite so well which maybe because they were not made to withstand the heat rather than that they are inferior. As in any country there is good and bad so you have to inspect items carefully before purchasing.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:18 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I looked around my house at the furniture that I brought from the UK and objectively compared it with what I have bought here in Spain and I have to say that my purchases here have been well made and are lasting well. Some of the items that I brought with me are not faring quite so well which maybe because they were not made to withstand the heat rather than that they are inferior. As in any country there is good and bad so you have to inspect items carefully before purchasing.

Rosemary
I also think that people are used to specific names/brands in the UK and when they go to other countries these are not as common, however if they were to check specifications etc out carefully they would find that they were made by the same company, and often have the same model number etc that are sold as a different brand in the UK.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely no matter where you are there are good furniture outlets and not so good ones? More often than not that is set by ones budget? I can't really see much point in buying in UK and paying transportation costs unless either it is something you already have and want to keep, or it is a specific item you can't easily get in Spain. Again everyone's view will be different. Re the UK plug thing I have a few electrical items which I already had and took to Spain. I didn't change plugs I just bought an adapter and UK block extension which does the job. Saved me re buying and doesn't alter the property.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas
Very popular on amazon.co.uk. Better quality, too.
I must look out for them especially with Brexit looming😃
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:23 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by bobd22
Surely no matter where you are there are good furniture outlets and not so good ones? More often than not that is set by ones budget? I can't really see much point in buying in UK and paying transportation costs unless either it is something you already have and want to keep, or it is a specific item you can't easily get in Spain. Again everyone's view will be different. Re the UK plug thing I have a few electrical items which I already had and took to Spain. I didn't change plugs I just bought an adapter and UK block extension which does the job. Saved me re buying and doesn't alter the property.
People who alter the sockets in their property to UK ones are really storing a load of trouble up for themselves, it's almost certain that if they need to sell then they have devalued to property considerably as, it's unlikely that the UK sockets have any certificate of compliance, so it may well mean that the whole house may need a rewire.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.