Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

furnishing a home

furnishing a home

Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: furnishing a home

Originally Posted by mikelincs
People who alter the sockets in their property to UK ones are really storing a load of trouble up for themselves, it's almost certain that if they need to sell then they have devalued to property considerably as, it's unlikely that the UK sockets have any certificate of compliance, so it may well mean that the whole house may need a rewire.
Yes I totally agree
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:42 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I also think that people are used to specific names/brands in the UK and when they go to other countries these are not as common, however if they were to check specifications etc out carefully they would find that they were made by the same company, and often have the same model number etc that are sold as a different brand in the UK.
I must admit that I did not think about that aspect. Everything that I have bought here has been made by local craftsmen or in local factories.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:44 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

People who alter the sockets in their property to UK ones are really storing a load of trouble up for themselves, it's almost certain that if they need to sell then they have devalued to property considerably as, it's unlikely that the UK sockets have any certificate of compliance, so it may well mean that the whole house may need a rewire.
Are you serious? Do people really change the socket rather than the plug or use an adaptor? I am flabbergasted.

Rosemary
Old Apr 27th 2017, 11:10 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I found it incomprehensible too. But I suspect it may be related to "superiority" of British standards, as igm referred to. You can't be too careful abroad. Their substandard products and methods... It is after all, the same bloke who buys his Samsung wash machine in the UK to ensure "better quality".
Old Apr 27th 2017, 8:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by here we go
Planning to move to Spain ...looking to buy min 3 bedroom house ...wondering if anyone could give us a rough estimate on cost of furnishing over there ? Is 2nd hand an option ? would we be better to look for fully furnished ?
Do not mess about, buy British go to Ikea. If there is not a branch in the area then you are in the wrong part of Spain. I wish I had been given this piece of advice before I went, it would have saved me so much hassle.
Old Apr 27th 2017, 8:49 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

IKEA... Buy British? It's a Swedish company. Most of their stuff is made in eastern Europe or Asia, like most "British" products. Because they have stores in Britain doesn't make it British. But they do have *some* pretty good stuff.

Ever heard of LIDL? Aldi? Müller? T-Mobile? Good British companies, you reckon?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

dreamer55 is an unknown quantity at this point

On a slight tangent, any idea how much it costs to move say, a transit van load from UK to southern Spain?
Old Apr 27th 2017, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
IKEA... Buy British? It's a Swedish company. Most of their stuff is made in eastern Europe or Asia, like most "British" products. Because they have stores in Britain doesn't make it British. But they do have *some* pretty good stuff.

Ever heard of LIDL? Aldi? Müller? T-Mobile? Good British companies, you reckon?
Yep that is it, the above I can vouch for. They are familiar to me and provide a good experience, well Aldi and Lidl anyway. It is the lazy way out but provides a good product at a good price. We live in a globalised society so we may as well embrace it and the local Chinese shops whilst we are about it. Sad for the local economy but I feel it is inevitable, sadly.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 12:07 pm
Banned

tuhler is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you know it's better quality, most of the furniture we bought while in Spain was of excellent quality, and the stores would even deliver it the same day as they had it in stock, otherwise it was a wait of two or three days, if you bought electrical equipment like ceiling lights, cookers, hobs etc. they would be fitted as part of the deal, no extra payments to make, and if you wanted an small extra job doing they would do that for €10 or so.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 12:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jonboy
Do not mess about, buy British go to Ikea. If there is not a branch in the area then you are in the wrong part of Spain. I wish I had been given this piece of advice before I went, it would have saved me so much hassle.
That is the idea...buy british...go to ikea that well known swedish company whose products come from that well known area of britain known as Indonesia..China.......Thailand..and of course that place just off the a34...Burma
Old Apr 28th 2017, 1:19 pm
Banned

Good quality though (by British standards, anyway).

One of the major industries here in Mallorca is bespoke furniture makers. And once you've bought from those suppliers, IKEA indeed looks more like Tesco.

But you know, can't trust that dodgy third-world foreign stuff... Unless you order it from the UK to ship to Spain. Then you get the same stuff at a 30% premium! And pay in Sterling! (another superior British product).

I wonder if I can order Spanish products from the UK, pay in Sterling, and have them shipped here... Hmm...

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 28th 2017 at 1:43 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good quality though (by British standards, anyway).

One of the major industries here in Mallorca is bespoke furniture makers. And once you've bought from those suppliers, IKEA indeed looks more like Tesco.

But you know, can't trust that dodgy third-world foreign stuff... Unless you order it from the UK to ship to Spain. Then you get the same stuff at a 30% premium! And pay in Sterling! (another superior British product).

I wonder if I can order Spanish products from the UK, pay in Sterling, and have them shipped here... Hmm...
Oh dear, I was half joking I know the origin of the stores and of their products. I also know what a fuss it can be to arrive in Spain and try and furnish a place from the top down. I would have welcomed a store such as Ikea about 14yrs ago as I could have got what I wanted without all the leg work. As it was I spent an inordinate amount of time trudging here and there to no good end.

Well amideislas, I have loved your posts on Mallorca and have found them informative. I admire your efforts to explain to new people the ins and outs of the local area. May you continue to do so.
Clearly you have been annoyed by one or more posters here. Ignore the beggars who may set out to irritate you. You are well thought of and your input is appreciated by me and others. We all rub individuals up the wrong way from time to time, such is life. Stick with us
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

How do you know it's better quality, most of the furniture we bought while in Spain was of excellent quality, and the stores would even deliver it the same day as they had it in stock, otherwise it was a wait of two or three days, if you bought electrical equipment like ceiling lights, cookers, hobs etc. they would be fitted as part of the deal, no extra payments to make, and if you wanted an small extra job doing they would do that for €10 or so.
I was led to believe....on this forum and elsewhere....that good quality new or second hand furniture in Spain is relatively expensive.

Here, it is relatively cheap.

That's it. No slur on Spanish or any other nationality's manufacturing or any hankering after "superior" British produce.

Some of you need to sort out your own demons instead of presuming others have agendas.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond reputelgm1963 has a reputation beyond repute

I found it incomprehensible too. But I suspect it may be related to "superiority" of British standards, as igm referred to. You can't be too careful abroad. Their substandard products and methods... It is after all, the same bloke who buys his Samsung wash machine in the UK to ensure "better quality".
My initials are LGM not igm....just another in your long list of errors.

Nowhere did I make any reference to "superiority" of british standards....is that why you used inverted commas?

I merely suggested that good quality used furniture in the UK is relatively less expensive than in Spain from what I have read on here, elsewhere and seen on those TV programmes that cover moving to Spain.

You really really can't help yourself at all can you?

Try reading people's post from a positive perspective instead of a negative one....you might actually wake up one day feeling good about yourself but I doubt it.
Old Apr 28th 2017, 8:44 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by lgm1963
I was led to believe....on this forum and elsewhere....that good quality new or second hand furniture in Spain is relatively expensive.

Here, it is relatively cheap.

That's it. No slur on Spanish or any other nationality's manufacturing or any hankering after "superior" British produce.

Some of you need to sort out your own demons instead of presuming others have agendas.
No we do not need to..perhaps a little bit more investigation...we do not have demons...just 30 years of living .....breathing this wonderful peninsular.If you really want good...very good secondhand furniture...go to northern portugal...it is all there..not in ikea in some dumb uk city

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.