Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Freesat - which is the most Sensitive / Reliable Box ?

Freesat - which is the most Sensitive / Reliable Box ?

Old Aug 15th 2011, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Freesat - which is the most Sensitive / Reliable Box ?

Hi People,

I was here afew months back answering questions on sat. Now it`s me who needs some help. I have a Reelbox currently and it`s superb, just that recently Channel Five has stopped it`s Teletext , well, I can not get tune to it. Nor is their anything in the epg. I get 7 day epg for most channels except , now, I don`t get damn teletext so I can not plan what to watch. Ok , I have internet but it was so easy with just watching 5 and hiiting text. No 7 day epg either.

Question my trusty amstrad of 11 years died yesterday so I am searching for a very sensitive freesat box with reliabilty and channel 5 epg or txt.

P.S. Have a Kubuntu system anyone know how to get the full freesat epg. Just a thought.

hope your all ok..

Cheers.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Freesat - which is the most Sensitive / Reliable Box ?

Hasn`t anyone here a clue onthis or am I in the wrong place !!

Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

I do believe that bbc etc have moved to broadcast on the DVB-S2 system, you can do a search on it or take a look at the WOTSAT site, there is an article on it in the August edition of its magazine. Basically if you had a Technosat system like mine, you would do a blind search of just that transponder (Tp50 I think they mentioned) and let the system re-find the new frequencies.

Of course that is assuming your receiver actually receives the DVB-S2 standard for HD signals, if not it might be time to get another receiver!
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Bingo, Many thanks for the reply. I can not get bbc1 hd either on 10847 V 23000. Very strange . Yes I can get both dvb and dvb-s2 signals just not channel 5 teletext or the 7 day epg.

I have done a re-scan a dozen times no bbc1 hd or Channel 5 teletext-epg.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 5:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry guys , just checked that wotsat site. Rubbish. Doesn`t go into any specifics. I really do think you guys can not help.

Will go else where. Thanks anyways.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:06 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Best Freesat boxes: Humax.
Freesat boxes have a 7 or 8 day EPG.

If you used to get it on your reelbox, and can no longer get it, maybe you need to update your reelbox firmware...as that will be what is processing the 7 day EPG data....like the freesat box and sky box process their EPG data.

IS this teletext or the EPG you are missing....they are two completely different things....and some broadcasters have ditched teletext completely...for example, c4 have a very very limited teletext service

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 15th 2011 at 6:15 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

I just popped back to see if on the off chance there might be a decent reply.

Hi, yes ,I am familiar with you. Ok , so it begins. I have a Rellbox, I take it that you are familiar or have heard of it. Normally, you have to download an app which the Reel has. It`s an International epg and loads 7 day epg data into your vdr.

This is much better than your now and next as you know. This guide is not auto updated , must be a method but I can`t fathom it out. Gives you a 7 day epg on the main core channels - finds it difficult for some reson to latch onto ITV1 and Channel 5 is now and next.

Now , Teletext as you mentioned has nothing to do with the epg and as ther was a lack epg on channel 5 ; I used the teletext function, which upto 2 weeks ago was fine and all of a sudden vanished.

I have updated , infact the Reel tells u of a firmware update and downloads it. So is there something special that I`m missing here ? Same thing for BBC1 hd ,can not scan in 10847 V 8/9 23000 for some reason but I can on my tele which has freesat built-in.

I`d like these features on my Reel as this is where I have my drives installed.

Any help ,much appreciated and thanks for taking the time to answer this text.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:44 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robt23
Hasn`t anyone here a clue onthis or am I in the wrong place !!

hey calm down dear, don't you appreciate posters have to leave their computers some time.

Don’t argue with a woman
People will think you are drunk
Old Aug 15th 2011, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Of course , I`m just looking for some resonable imput and please don`t patronize me .
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:05 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Of course , I`m just looking for some resonable imput and please don`t patronize me .
moi ?
Old Aug 15th 2011, 7:24 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, yes ,I am familiar with you. Ok , so it begins. I have a Rellbox, I take it that you are familiar or have heard of it. Normally, you have to download an app which the Reel has. It`s an International epg and loads 7 day epg data into your vdr.

This is much better than your now and next as you know. This guide is not auto updated , must be a method but I can`t fathom it out. Gives you a 7 day epg on the main core channels - finds it difficult for some reson to latch onto ITV1 and Channel 5 is now and next.

Now , Teletext as you mentioned has nothing to do with the epg and as ther was a lack epg on channel 5 ; I used the teletext function, which upto 2 weeks ago was fine and all of a sudden vanished.

I have updated , infact the Reel tells u of a firmware update and downloads it. So is there something special that I`m missing here ?
Sounds like a reelbox app issue...so probably best to go onto their tech area and ask the question there...if they have one... rather than here.

Maybe Dirty Desmond has axed the teletext services as part of his "streamlining", but I cannot find anything about it...

Same thing for BBC1 hd ,can not scan in 10847 V 8/9 23000 for some reason but I can on my tele which has freesat built-in.
There are a fair number of receivers that say they are DVBS2 compatiable, but in reality they are not.
The theory say if you can get C4HD then your receiver should also be capable of getting BBC1HD and BBC HD.

Last edited by The Guy; Aug 15th 2011 at 7:26 pm.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

The only just reasonable Reel forum is Dreamedia and that`s all Spanish lingo . If I pop the question there no one would reply because they don`t have much interest in our 28.2E. Understandable as they have Digital plus on 19.2E.

Really am struggling to find a suitable solution. If not then in the mornings just make a note of what I want to see on paper. Seems incredibly old fashioned by today`s standards.

My other point, well, actually, my main one was which freesat model has the best tuner sensitivity - Foxsat,Technisat .Reliability also plays a factor as my amstrad gave up the ghost after 10 years. That was one of the original Digbox versions to go to market. However, never did know why and to this day no channel five listings . Then , I would go to my other receiver ( non sky ) and hit channel 5 and receive teletext.

I bought the Reel 3 years ago, it`s nothing short of magic in terms of multimedia but for this little blip.
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:03 pm

My other point, well, actually, my main one was which freesat model has the best tuner sensitivity - Foxsat,Technisat .Reliability also plays a factor as my amstrad gave up the ghost after 10 years. That was one of the original Digbox versions to go to market. However, never did know why and to this day no channel five listings . Then , I would go to my other receiver ( non sky ) and hit channel 5 and receive teletext.
A Sky box wil only put the Fives in the SKy EPG / channel listings if a sky card is inserted. If no card is inserted then the list goes 101, 102, 103, 104, 106. If you key in 105 up comes a red "channel unavailable" message.

So you have to add the free to air non sky card version to your "services other channels" listing...by scanning freq 10773 h 22 5/6.

Its been like that since one of the channel five regions went FTA...

Teletext is the old analogue text service. Maybe a they have been phasing out analogue in the UK they decided to get rid of the analogue text services, like ITV and C4 have done, in favour of the new digital text services...so your issue may not be anything to do with the receiver, just Five stopping their analogue text service...which will only be available on freesat and sky boxes as their software would incorporate the digital text software that is required...
Old Aug 15th 2011, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks. You cleared up afew points there. Analogue in the UK is being phased out gradually and they probably cancelled their analogue text service. I don`t have any sky boxes as I just use the Reel. Channel 5 is locked into the frequencies you mentioned.When my amstrad did work I never really paid much attention to the fact that 5 could be in the epg.

Yes, it`s vague but I seem to remember an all ble card which came with the amstrad , which stopped workind around a year later . We are talking nearly a decade here.

I don`t think I will buy a freesat as I will find the programs manually by internet. I will however try to see if I can find an app in the ubuntu repositories to see if it can produce a 7 day epg for channel 5.

You may ask , - why is this guy so interested in 5 ? Well, I`m a film buff, simple. I have a back problem lasting many years, won`t go into details here ,but come the day I can`t move, I would like a selection of the films I grew up with . Five, somtimes , not alway`s, but somtimes comes up with cracking films.

In answer to my own question regarding freesat receivers, I would have gone for the Technsat. Why ? It can handle other satellites too. This info might be useful for someone else, I have all I want in Reebox.

Many Thanks for resolving some of my issues.

Till next time. robt23
Old Aug 16th 2011, 6:12 am

In answer to my own question regarding freesat receivers, I would have gone for the Technsat. Why ? It can handle other satellites too.
I gather so can the Humax...you can access the actual Humax software with a few button presses, and bypass the bolted on "Freesat" software.