Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free Prescriptions with E121

Free Prescriptions with E121

Old May 12th 2008, 10:58 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free Prescriptions with E121

I think Fred is saying that if you buy a drug, that is ONLY available on prescription they have to be all the same price.

The ones like antibiotics (or even antidepressants ) that you do not NEED a prescription for can be made by several different manufacturers and can therefore be different prices.

This is what I understand him to be saying, anyway.
Old May 12th 2008, 11:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Its been a struggle, this thread
Old May 13th 2008, 12:53 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

por que?
Old May 13th 2008, 5:31 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
My husband takes lisinopril 20mg and just paid 9.35 euros for a pack of 28. Don't know about the simvastatin.

Rosemary
Simvastatin, 10mg are about 3€ a pack, very cheap here.
Old May 13th 2008, 5:33 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Drugs sold over the counter usually are price fixed, as the price is stamped onto the pack. At least most of those that are available only as prescription medicines in the UK are.
Old May 13th 2008, 5:36 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Palmera
Have you not read all the replies above of people, including myself, who are contradicting you Fred?

Please accept our comments as fact, as i am sure we all have better things to do with ourselves than "make this up"
The drugs you are talking about are the non prescription drugs. Prescription drugs are price controlled, and they are the same in ALL pharmacies. If you have ones that are different prices, then they are not classed as prescription drugs in Spain.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:43 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
...The difference in Spain is that you can buy drugs over the counter that in the UK would only be supplied on a prescription (antibiotics are a good example). These are the ones that have a controlled price...
Sorry to disagree with you Fred but I have to carry antibiotics with me at all times (twice bitten and rushed to urgencias) and the price I pay for the same pack of the same antibiotic from different farmacias varies from 2.90 euros to 3.60 euros.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:43 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Sorry to disagree with you Fred but I have to carry antibiotics with me at all times (twice bitten and rushed to urgencias) and the price I pay for the same pack of the same antibiotic from different farmacias varies from 2.90 euros to 3.60 euros.
Do you mean just the same antibiotic, or the same antibiotic from the same manufacturer, if it is from the same manufacturer, then the price WILL be stamped on the pack
Old May 13th 2008, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Palmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud ofPalmera has much to be proud of

i agree el capitan.

I think the other posters have failed to read the part where i mentioned many moons ago that the price section on some of these medicines have a thick white coated magnetic/mettalic strip over the price section. This is for prescription medicine that needs paying for. This is me finished on this subject as it is getting a tad bit boring now.
Old May 13th 2008, 4:25 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Price on box....
Attached Thumbnails Free Prescriptions with E121-scan0007.jpg  
Old May 14th 2008, 7:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Do you mean just the same antibiotic, or the same antibiotic from the same manufacturer, if it is from the same manufacturer, then the price WILL be stamped on the pack

Same antibiotic, same manufacturer and no price stamped on the box. I have a new pack in front of me now. Manufacturer GlaxoSmithKline, S.A, Orbenin 500 mg - 12 cápsulas, bar code and ref C.N.862417 all on the perforated patch they have to remove if bought with prescription .... and nowhere on box is any indication of a price.

And no sticker on the box which could be covering up a price either.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Fred James
I'm not saying you are making this up but it is a fact that prescription drugs in Spain have the price printed on them by the manufacturer.
Well Fred is right, in case of my husbands pills the prices are clearly printed on the boxes (presumably by the manufacturer) BUT we have still paid different prices for the same prescription drugs of the same strength from different pharmacies. This could be either because not all manufacturers are charging the same or maybe some have older stock?

Rosemary
Old May 15th 2008, 8:17 am
Account Closed

So some boxes of drugs do have prices printed on them and some dont. I thought antibiotics fell into the "prescription" group as the chemist always asks why I need them but maybe there are categories of drug which are price controlled and others not controlled.
Old May 15th 2008, 8:51 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Rambling Rose
Well Fred is right, in case of my husbands pills the prices are clearly printed on the boxes (presumably by the manufacturer) BUT we have still paid different prices for the same prescription drugs of the same strength from different pharmacies. This could be either because not all manufacturers are charging the same or maybe some have older stock?

Rosemary

I know its a bitter pill to swallow but should we not be taking this any further and have a nice cool drink or a Nitrazepam and put this thread to sleep
Old May 15th 2008, 9:37 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
I know its a bitter pill to swallow but should we not be taking this any further and have a nice cool drink or a Nitrazepam and put this thread to sleep
Youre not hijacking by any chance are you?