Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

i give up... white goods!

i give up... white goods!

Old May 14th 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute
Default i give up... white goods!

hi there,

been looking through old threads and cant see the answer,
will our white goods (fridge and dishwasher) work in spain?
the tv wont, right?
just trying to figure out what to take/leave behind...!
i am a bit of a hoarder so need to be ruthless, argh!
thanks in advance!
oooh and, can anyone advice on getting sky tv there? we are heading for the basque country and as there arent many expats there i am wondering how to go about it?
Old May 14th 2008, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: i give up... white goods!

Originally Posted by featherbum
hi there,

been looking through old threads and cant see the answer,
will our white goods (fridge and dishwasher) work in spain?
the tv wont, right?
just trying to figure out what to take/leave behind...!
i am a bit of a hoarder so need to be ruthless, argh!
thanks in advance!
oooh and, can anyone advice on getting sky tv there? we are heading for the basque country and as there arent many expats there i am wondering how to go about it?
All my UK white goods work in spain, my TV works aswell and I get sound!
Old May 14th 2008, 4:15 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

All white goods will work fine.

New TV's will be OK.

Older TV's will be fine for SKY but MAY not get sound on terrestrial set up.
Old May 14th 2008, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Also if the tv does not work, you will get the pigture but not sound, two ways around this ask a tv engineer to sot it, he can or buy a cheap vhs machine or most likely a dvd will work and tune it thrught that, then you will get sound and picture.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys!

can i ask, when you moved did you take most of your stuff with you or were you ruthless, got rid of lots and bought new stuff in spain?
i got a quote for a removal company and i nearly fainted (i guess its a case of shopping around but still...!)

Old May 14th 2008, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

davidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the roughdavidpayne is a jewel in the rough

thanks guys!

can i ask, when you moved did you take most of your stuff with you or were you ruthless, got rid of lots and bought new stuff in spain?
i got a quote for a removal company and i nearly fainted (i guess its a case of shopping around but still...!)

We ebayed lots... when we got here we bought stuff we ebayed!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh
Old May 14th 2008, 6:23 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks guys!

We moved from a 4 bedroomed detatched house ..... and came here in a luton van
Old May 14th 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

how????
i find it sooooooo hard to separate from m wordly goods

so in your experience everyone- what would you recommend to leave behind? ie out of, beds, wardrobes, table n chairs, sofa etc etc etc.
xx
Old May 14th 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Katya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the roughKatya is a jewel in the rough

The kids , husband and Dog ??? Ha Ha
Old May 14th 2008, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Katya
The kids , husband and Dog ??? Ha Ha
Old May 15th 2008, 2:16 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

how????

so in your experience everyone- what would you recommend to leave behind? ie out of, beds, wardrobes, table n chairs, sofa etc etc etc.
xx
Hi Feather

We found that it depends on the style of furniture you wish to deck out your Spanish home with, We had large pine wardrobes which were very expensive but dated however painted a nice cream they look the donkeys, I find from an English point of view that on the whole the Spanish style is not for me albeit we live in a large old house. I would suggest if you can afford it bring beds chairs etc with you, Pine re painted in pastel colours looks great
in the sun.When you get to Spain what you don't need leave at your local tip or green rubbish bin and you will find it gone in five minutes I hope you move goes well, as stated all mod televisions work as do white goods why pay out more for them if you already have them, Any white goods over say 4 years old I would leave unless they are Miele which last forever.
Old May 15th 2008, 7:14 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

I "moved" from a 4 bed house in the UK and the ex-wife kept most of the stuff there with her so all my stuff came over in and on a car.

However, when I did buy a house here it came fully furnished which seems to be quite common (obviously for second hand houses).
Old May 15th 2008, 7:26 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

They are very helpful those bailiffs don't you think
Old May 15th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

how????

xx
We brought everything except sofa and armchairs, white goods are now approaching 11 years old and still going strong, so they were definitely worth bringing and despite what a lot of people say you do need a tumble dryer in the winter.