Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free FIVE Testing

Free FIVE Testing

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 1:58 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Free FIVE Testing

I may have mentioned this before, but Channel 5 is currently testing a free (no sky card required) signal, in preparation for its launch onto Freesat.

It is thought that the current frequency that is being used (and requires a Sky card) may be switched off in the near future.

FIVE is testing on frequency 10773 h 22.0 5/6 and tagged as "6335".

This is the same frequency as BBC2 and so will have the same availability as BBC2. This may not be the final frequency, will keep you informed.

Freesat receiver will have to go into Non Freesat mode until it gets added automatically into you 105 slot.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:01 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free FIVE Testing

Originally Posted by Satandpcguy
This is the same frequency as BBC2 and so will have the same availability as BBC2. t.
So that will be next to no availability then
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for that. Not that I ever watch Five but it has good signal strength and quality on my very cheap and cheerful Silvercrest receiver.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 2:28 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I may have mentioned this before, but Channel 5 is currently testing a free (no sky card required) signal, in preparation for its launch onto Freesat. .
Do you know when C4HD is going over to Freesat?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 3:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It was nearly only the 5 channels that worked when we had heavy rain the other day.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 4:15 pm

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

hi,

current thinking is that this will follow the pattern that c4 used when they went free a few months ago.
ie
Run a free channel on a new frequency.
When space on Astra 2d (the weak satellite) is available transfer all their channels to that frequency.
(And when they get their own frequency Five US and Fiver may also go free)

But it does mean that as from today you can get bbc, itv, c4 and Five all for free without the use of a sky card.

No news on C4HD going free yet i am afraid...but will keep me ears open...maybe we shall learn something closer to the 2009 sky card change that is rumoured to happen now all the main uk channels are now free. And if ITV are thinking of having a HD channel on Freeview (UK service through a UK tv aerial) then maybe it will appear on satellite also...

Originally Posted by jdr
It was nearly only the 5 channels that worked when we had heavy rain the other day.
Thts as they are transmitted from Astra 2c - which has a faily strong signal...
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 6:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

And if ITV are thinking of having a HD channel on Freeview (UK service through a UK tv aerial) then maybe it will appear on satellite also...
If you mean on Freesat, ITV are already transmitting HD. I watched the new Sharpe series last night in HD on ITV.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:31 pm

And if ITV are thinking of having a HD channel on Freeview (UK service through a UK tv aerial) then maybe it will appear on satellite also...
Sorry should have read...

And as ITV are thinking of having a HD channel on Freeview (UK service through a UK tv aerial) then maybe it will appear on Sky satellite recivers also...
Old Nov 5th 2008, 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Fred James
More info re C4HD from sat site...

Sky did some pretty big favours for Channel 4 to get 4HD up and running (ie paid for a lot of the broadcast kit). It will probably be years rather than months before it's FTA.

C4HD is uplinked by Sky on a Sky leased transponder (very possibly at zero cost to C4!) C4 probably now need to find enough space on 2D and some more money for uplinking.
and for more info on Five

official line from Freesat regarding Fiver and Five US:

"Due to lack of availability of appropriate satellite capacity, Fiver and Five US are unable to join freesat currently. However, we are exploring options to secure capacity to enable these channels to join freesat at some time in the future."
and also in other news..

some other "sat companies" have been stating that Bravo and Virgin 1 (and other virgin TV channels) will be going free and moving to freesat soon, well, as per the deal struck yesterday between sky and virgin the virgin channels will be exclusivly on sky for the next few years....

...a new deal for Virgin Media TV's basic channels, including Living, Bravo, Trouble, Challenge and Virgin 1, to continue to run on Sky's digital satellite TV service. The deals will run until June 12 2011.

Last edited by The Guy; Nov 5th 2008 at 7:01 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

So FIVE is going to freesat on the 18th NOV. So if I can still recieve a signal all day on my 2.4mt AFTER this date then can we safely say that it will not be going over to the same signal as BBC2?
When will FIVE's transponder be confirmed? Around the 18th NOV?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:35 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by spainboy
So FIVE is going to freesat on the 18th NOV. So if I can still recieve a signal all day on my 2.4mt AFTER this date then can we safely say that it will not be going over to the same signal as BBC2?
there lot off testing going on so real know it home channel next week and if Satandpcguy dose tell you it be me

We the ture satellite people off spain , we know it befor you see it
Old Nov 7th 2008, 6:52 am

the FREE version on Five appears to be going tot he same frequency as BBC2 - due to the fact that this is where the test signal is. They are also showing a "Information card" for certian programmes that they cannot broadcast for free on satellite - "this programme is unavailable on freetoair satellite"

the Sky card version (available on a 80cm dish) may still be available after this date, but this is not confirmed yet.

if FIve manage to secure a transponder on astra 2d for all its channels (Five, FIVER FIVE US) then i am sure that they will all go free.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

spainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud ofspainboy has much to be proud of

My daughter loves Neighbours and if it goes off then Ill never hear the end of it although it does finish around 3.15pm and sometimes BBC2 is still a good signal and stays on til 4.30pm othertimes it isn't and goes off at 2pm.Although saying that the onmibus is repeated on FIVER and FIVER +1 so do you think there is no chance in the future of FIVER+1 ever getting moved to astra 2d or would they concentrate just on FIVER, FIVE US if in the future they find space?(ie channel 4+1 has remained a 24hr good signal)

Iam in the Benidorm area with a pace2600 + 2.4mtr dish. Should I be getting BBC2 longer anyway than 2pm- 4pm anyway? If I look into getting a better LNB fitted then could I get an unbroken BBC2 signal til at least 4pm everyday or does it sound like im getting the strongest signal and is it normal to sometimes get breakups at 2pm?

Last edited by spainboy; Nov 7th 2008 at 7:45 am.
Old Nov 7th 2008, 11:59 am

SNIP....saying that the onmibus is repeated on FIVER and FIVER +1 so do you think there is no chance in the future of FIVER+1 ever getting moved to astra 2d or would they concentrate just on FIVER, FIVE US if in the future they find space?(ie channel 4+1 has remained a 24hr good signal)

if FIve manage to secure a transponder on astra 2d for all its channels (Five, FIVER FIVE US) then i am sure that they will all go free.

I should include Fiver+1 and Five US in this statement also.

Iam in the Benidorm area with a pace2600 + 2.4mtr dish. Should I be getting BBC2 longer anyway than 2pm- 4pm anyway? If I look into getting a better LNB fitted then could I get an unbroken BBC2 signal til at least 4pm everyday or does it sound like im getting the strongest signal and is it normal to sometimes get breakups at 2pm?
normally in my area i only get bbc2 from 5am ish til 6pm ish.
it gets a bit worse in Calpe and Benidorm so i would suggest you are just about getting the most from the signal...
Old Nov 7th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Right thanks.

So why hasn't Channel 4+1 ever moved to Astra 2D? This sort of lead me to believe FIVER would also leave it's '+1' on the better signal, or does Channel 4 plan to move its '+1' at a later date?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.