Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Free broadband with no line ? mijas

Free broadband with no line ? mijas

Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

martyf1 will become famous soon enoughmartyf1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Free broadband with no line ? mijas

Ta for the replies - the dongle would only do my head in if I constantly had to top it up - might go for the arial, but will get them to check for reception first.

cheers
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:28 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I think a few people have missed the point. You do not have a telephone line, therefore to talk about a 6Mb line is pointless - simply not possible.
Yes there are pay as you go dongles; mine is an 18 month contract (just renewed to change to 3.5G). I usually use in EXCESS of 1Gb yes 1,000 Mb EVERY month. Therefore topping up 150 Mb a time would mean more than six trips every month; a no no I think. So 18 months @ 45 euros a month = 810 euros for 18 months or 540 euros a year.
I have a maximum usage of 3GB a month BUT the last two Gb is at a speed of 128 (artificially held down by the software), the first Gb is at a maximum rate of a Mb.
Any questions?
Davexf
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi,

I think a few people have missed the point. You do not have a telephone line, therefore to talk about a 6Mb line is pointless - simply not possible.
Yes there are pay as you go dongles; mine is an 18 month contract (just renewed to change to 3.5G). I usually use in EXCESS of 1Gb yes 1,000 Mb EVERY month. Therefore topping up 150 Mb a time would mean more than six trips every month; a no no I think. So 18 months @ 45 euros a month = 810 euros for 18 months or 540 euros a year.
I have a maximum usage of 3GB a month BUT the last two Gb is at a speed of 128 (artificially held down by the software), the first Gb is at a maximum rate of a Mb.
Any questions?
Davexf
Yes, 150 Mb is really not a lot. For normal browsing, you will use about 10 to 20 mbs a days. So, you could easily be using 500 mb a month, without dowloading movies or going to Youtube.

I would definitely recommend going for the 3 Gb plan over the 150 Mb for 3 months. Even if you get 1 Gb at high speed, I think that is enough for most people. I don't use more than that on my home computer and I am online a lot. If you watch a lot of videos online and download music, then yes, you can blow that in no time.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:12 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

200 euros of aerials 69 euros for 150 meg ? get a dail up line you befaster

wasteoff money , lot shave same single and will afack your download aswell
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jurdyr
200 euros of aerials 69 euros for 150 meg ? get a dail up line you befaster

wasteoff money , lot shave same single and will afack your download aswell

He hasn't got one & not everyone can get them.......
Old Dec 18th 2008, 2:32 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Jurdyr sorry but you are wrong, in fact miles out. Irrespective of the fact Martyf1 does not have a landline (and presumably can't get one), The dial-up speed is 56Kb. My USB dongle on SLOWMO is 128Kb, and on fast (as at now because I get a new allowance on the 18th) is upto 1000 Kb.
Also, if Martyf1 could get a landline (necessary for dial-up), then why not go the whole hog and get ADSL (broadband)?

Davexf
Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:17 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

OK
Old Dec 18th 2008, 4:17 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
OK
Cheerssssssss....
Old Dec 21st 2008, 10:56 pm
Just Joined

00glenn is an unknown quantity at this point

If you can see the towers on mijas you could pick up jazztel free wireless.
I get 600 down and 230 up.

Its gets very slow between 630pm to 9pm.

You will need 7+dbi omnidirectional wireless aerial with other stuff
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Hi 00glenn

Thanks for this - I am pretty good at diy and pc's - where can I buy the 7+dbi omnidirectional arial - apart from some cable, anything else I might need ?

Thanks for your help !

martyf1
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Get off the N340 to Mijas pueblo, turn right into fuengirola pass first round about straight down at 2nd round about turn back on your self, the shop will be on your right hand side.

Its got a blue front and sells TV’s, disco balls and omnidirectional wireless aerials.

But if I was you, I would go into the Vodafone shop at calypso, calahonda and get your self €39.99 month broadband, my friend claims to have 1.8mb download.
Plus its only €19.95 for the first 3 months

Then use that voip cheap to make your calls
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:52 am
Just Joined

Cheers 00glen - that is great, my next little project!

just not too sure on the directions - do you take the first exit into fuengirola from la cala side, just after the castle ? and by my reckoning it is on that road well before the police station ?

cheers
martyf1
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:53 am
Just Joined

Check out these as well www.comprawifi.com
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:57 am
Just Joined

Hope this works
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&sa...=UTF8&t=h&z=14
Old Dec 22nd 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

cheers 00glenn - what do you think of my directions - two posts up ?

cheers
martyf1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.