Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fixing a roof leak

Fixing a roof leak

Old Nov 16th 2019, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Keith Robbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fixing a roof leak

Hello I’m needing advice on what to use to fix a leak on my Spanish tiled roof ! We were over when the devastating rain came a few months ago and got off pretty lightly compared to some people ! We had a few drips through the ceiling and on inspection found some of the roof tiles don’t sit properly and have gaps where the rain got in , I’m back over soon and need to fill the gaps with cement and then paint the tiles , can anyone tell me the best materials for the job !! In England I am a roofer so doing the work isn’t a problem it’s just knowing what to use 👍
Old Nov 17th 2019, 9:15 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fixing a roof leak

If you are a roofer, surely you will know better than any of us?

IMHO, you need to remove tiles to investigate why they don't fit properly. You may need to improve the fixings, replacing any damaged tiles and re-installing to eliminate any gaps. Slapping on cement is a bodge repair - would you do that in England?
Why do you want to paint tiles?

Last edited by missile; Nov 17th 2019 at 9:19 am.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 9:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
If you are a roofer, surely you will know better than any of us?

IMHO, you need to remove tiles to investigate why they don't fit properly. You may need to improve the fixings, replacing any damaged tiles and re-installing to eliminate any gaps. Slapping on cement is a bodge repair - would you do that in England?
Why do you want to paint tiles?
I think that he needs to paint the tiles because he is talking about a flat roof not a sloping roof and there are some excellent waterproof paints to be used.

Rosemary

Old Nov 17th 2019, 9:46 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
I think that he needs to paint the tiles because he is talking about a flat roof not a sloping roof and there are some excellent waterproof paints to be used.

Rosemary
You still don't paint them.

If it is a flat, tiled roof, then the grout needs to be replaced with waterproof grouting.
Old Nov 17th 2019, 10:19 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish often use "Gaucho" which is a rubberised waterproof paint, often including fibre. Something like this

https://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/157449...s-suelos-muros
Old Nov 17th 2019, 10:33 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The Spanish often use "Gaucho" which is a rubberised waterproof paint, often including fibre. Something like this

https://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/157449...s-suelos-muros
That is what some of my neighbours have used.

Rosemary
Old Nov 18th 2019, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fixing a roof leak

Originally Posted by Keith Robbo
Hello I’m needing advice on what to use to fix a leak on my Spanish tiled roof ! We were over when the devastating rain came a few months ago and got off pretty lightly compared to some people ! We had a few drips through the ceiling and on inspection found some of the roof tiles don’t sit properly and have gaps where the rain got in , I’m back over soon and need to fill the gaps with cement and then paint the tiles , can anyone tell me the best materials for the job !! In England I am a roofer so doing the work isn’t a problem it’s just knowing what to use 👍
Hi why not claim on your insurance it would be the best way forward.I have found all the local builders merchants very helpful and will tell you what you need .Also when a roof leaks where the water comes out in side usually is not where the water penetrates outside.If it were me and i was going to do the work myself i would pay a local roofer to come and look and give you some advice or even help you i have found local builders very friendly and helpful.And one last thing get the repairs done before the temperatures start to rise.Good luck
Old Nov 18th 2019, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

You 'can' use caucho, but there is also a special 'roof caucho' that would be much more longer lasting. Must have anti uv in it too ?
Old Nov 18th 2019, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

cermignano is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for the info which I was also needing.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.bauhaus.es/pintura-aisla...SABEgLJTvD_BwE

heres the "special" one.. with a picture of a painted flat roof.
Old Nov 18th 2019, 8:20 pm
Forum Regular

NABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond reputeNABman has a reputation beyond repute

Having experienced dreadful water ingress from a flat/ tiled roof in the Middle East we opted for reskiming with concrete, it worked for a while.

Having a similar water ingress problem here in Nerja a few years ago we we absorbed the financial pain and had a fibreglass layer put down on two terraces with new tiles. So far so good 10 years later.

Whatever the type of roof I would go for the best solution, the intense summer sun will eventually cause problems with sealant stuff and having confidence the roof over the proprty is not going to leak is very reassuring ..
Old Nov 18th 2019, 10:27 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
https://www.bauhaus.es/pintura-aisla...SABEgLJTvD_BwE

heres the "special" one.. with a picture of a painted flat roof.
. Exactly what I posted some time ago.

Don’t you ever read other people’s posts?

Old Nov 19th 2019, 5:51 am
BE Forum Addict

el collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond reputeel collado kid has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Fixing a roof leak

Originally Posted by NABman
Having experienced dreadful water ingress from a flat/ tiled roof in the Middle East we opted for reskiming with concrete, it worked for a while.

Having a similar water ingress problem here in Nerja a few years ago we we absorbed the financial pain and had a fibreglass layer put down on two terraces with new tiles. So far so good 10 years later.

Whatever the type of roof I would go for the best solution, the intense summer sun will eventually cause problems with sealant stuff and having confidence the roof over the proprty is not going to leak is very reassuring ..
That's an excellent idea forgot all about fiberglass layer the best solution by far thanks
Old Nov 19th 2019, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Fred James
. Exactly what I posted some time ago.

Don’t you ever read other people’s posts?

I didnt look at the link, i thought it was for normal gaucho.

oh well, sorry to repeat what you said.