Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fish and Chips in Madrid

Fish and Chips in Madrid

Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Miyagi is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Fish and Chips in Madrid

I was looking around the internet to see if I could find a chippy in Madrid. I mean a real one of good quality. Anyway, I came upon a thread in these forums which was dated about a year ago and has since closed. So, to bring everyone up to date, I thought I would post the following.

There was, not too long ago, a fish and chip shop in Madrid called Fat Tony's. I did visit once with my family and was far from impressed. Without going into details, we decided never to return. It was in the tourist area near Sol so maybe they thought they could make a killing selling to late night stag and hen party ex-pats who were over for the weekend. Well, they failed and it closed down some time ago.

I know that a new chippy is supposed to be opening soon in Madrid. As soon as I hear anything more definite I shall post it here. Apparently, this one will be importing quality ingredients if they can't be bought here so, maybe, we shall finally have a proper chippy in Madrid.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fish and Chips in Madrid

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:54 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Miyagi

Sounds great! What are you going to call it?
Old Feb 7th 2012, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Hi, Jimenato,

Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Wait utnil you see my other posts. You'll probably have me down as a driving instructor
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:02 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miyagi
Wait utnil you see my other posts. You'll probably have me down as a driving instructor

Actually you are a pre-dawn removal company
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:11 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I was looking around the internet to see if I could find a chippy in Madrid. I mean a real one of good quality. Anyway, I came upon a thread in these forums which was dated about a year ago and has since closed. So, to bring everyone up to date, I thought I would post the following.

There was, not too long ago, a fish and chip shop in Madrid called Fat Tony's. I did visit once with my family and was far from impressed. Without going into details, we decided never to return. It was in the tourist area near Sol so maybe they thought they could make a killing selling to late night stag and hen party ex-pats who were over for the weekend. Well, they failed and it closed down some time ago.

I know that a new chippy is supposed to be opening soon in Madrid. As soon as I hear anything more definite I shall post it here. Apparently, this one will be importing quality ingredients if they can't be bought here so, maybe, we shall finally have a proper chippy in Madrid.
Yes, that old place had a terrible reputation. Shame really, it was right in the Guiri part of town (near Plz Santa Ana). But you do realise that certain Irish pubs serve up fish n chips (and not a few menus del dia will have fried fish as a second course, served with chips)? The new place will have to do very well to succeed I think.
Old Feb 7th 2012, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jimenato

Actually you are a pre-dawn removal company
Darn caught me out
Old Feb 27th 2012, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Found out that the new chippy is open. Called The Underground Chippy but haven't found the address yet. If anyone finds out location then please let me know. Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2012, 3:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience whilst most Spanish eat fish, and also chips they don't go in a big way for Fish and Chips served the British way. It is also very heavy food for the hot summer months so unless you have a guaranteed supply of Guiris (and most Brits I know who live in Madrid have gone native) then it might not be a winning idea.
Old Feb 27th 2012, 4:52 pm
FreeThinker

Found out that the new chippy is open. Called The Underground Chippy but haven't found the address yet. If anyone finds out location then please let me know. Thanks
That's a great name. Why did you call it that Miyagi?
Old Feb 27th 2012, 7:28 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I never went in Casa Labra (for some reason it was always packed, with queues extending outside) but one of its specialities is fried salt cod - on the right hand side of the picture, the left side is a croqueta.

http://www.simplespanishfood.com/201...ra-madrid.html

Old Feb 28th 2012, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Steviedeluxe. Where is that?

Jimenato, do you just assume that anyone who asks a question is trying to advertise their own business?
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:22 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

I think part of the reason that fish and chips (english style) have not caught on with the Spanish is because we dont use the salt and vinegar, (I do BTW) on them, which is what makes the smell irresitable........

Splodging ketchup on does not produce that fabulous smell...
Old Feb 28th 2012, 2:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I think part of the reason that fish and chips (english style) have not caught on with the Spanish is because we dont use the salt and vinegar, (I do BTW) on them, which is what makes the smell irresitable........

Splodging ketchup on does not produce that fabulous smell...
In the North they do rape/piscin battered English style, a bit like the photo from steviedeluxe. Delicious.

In the South rosada frita is probably the closest to English style fish.

Surely a bit of ali oli goes best with battered fish?

I actually think it is the smell and taste of the oil that would put off Spanish customers as they are used to olive oil for their fried fish. Now I'm used to eating olive oil I get stomach ache when going back to the UK where things are cooked mainly in sunflower oil

Last edited by cricketman; Feb 28th 2012 at 2:38 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.