Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The first gig you went to

The first gig you went to

Old Feb 25th 2008, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of
Default Re: The first gig you went to

first gig, stiff little fingers, 1982, ulster hall, belfast. class. a real home town punk band.
worst gig, 199-something, ac/dc angus still in shorts, band didnt care. rubbish.
best gig, download festival, 2005, donington, so many fantastic bands on one bill, garbage, feeder, billy idol, megadeth, slayer, slipnot, anthrax, black sabbath, motorhead, system of a down, i'm sure i've missed some more......
Old Feb 25th 2008, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

debsiwebs is an unknown quantity at this point

oh dear........i'm embarrassed to say.. mine was the Monkees in 1967 at wembley, but it was fun and only cost ten bob for the ticket from the youth club!!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

BriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant futureBriscasBetterHalf has a brilliant future

Well mine was Pilton Pop Festival (only lived 3 miles away) must been late 60's early 70's later to be known as Glastonbury (Pilton didn’t quite have the same ring).
Next-door neighbour had an army surplus store and made an absolute killing. Was attended by about 10,000 people in those days and my lasting memory is mud, lots of it. Think I got paid about 10 quid for the weekend selling boots and wellies to hippies. What groups played? Haven’t a clue.
First proper gig I remember was Motorhead at the NEC. Drove a bunch of kids there in a mini-bus, had to come out, it was so loud the vibration made me feel sick!
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Justlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud ofJustlookin has much to be proud of

The Platters, Coventry. The original group, not some resurrected version years later.

As you can guess by that fact, tooo old to remember when exactly but must have been early 1960's at the latest.

My wife's first was The Beatles at Coventry Hippodrome - she will keep on about it though.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

jimjan will become famous soon enoughjimjan will become famous soon enough

The Jackson 5 Birmingham Odeon I think, in the days when Michael Jackson was cute
Old Feb 26th 2008, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

I also saw George Benson at Wembley Arena cos ex-OH had tickets. Saw lots of small bands in the small town where I bought up as a teenager.
First big gig was Michael Jackson (Bad) with Kim Wilde in support at Wembley Stadium in 1989 or was it '88 - getting to old to remember!
Best atmosphere gig was the Madness reunion gig at Finsbury Park and the support bands were great. Best thing was I could walk home from there. Went to a 'festival' at Leeds for several days at the grand old age of 34 but loved it - had to get a train home from there tho'!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:10 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

In the 70's I saw the Glam-rock kings SLADE !!!!! - At a 'night-club' in Cleethorpes who had strict entry rules about age and dress, as I was only 15/16 I had to go with Mum & Dad, put sa shirt and tie on (ahhhhhh) - Great night though and got me hooked on 'live' rock music. Went to see loads of bands when I was old enough and earning.

About 3 years ago - there was a Glam-rock revival concert with T-Rex (Marc Bolan look-and-sound-alike), Sweet and Slade (no Noddy). Went reluctantly with a mate but it was a real fun night - loads got into the Glam thing as well. And recently Nazareth (from Bonnie Scotland) toured - apart from the grey hair they sounded good too.

I miss live music - all you get round here now is karoke kings/queens and 'bands' with backing tracks.

ROCKKKKKKKKK !!!!
Old Feb 27th 2008, 7:15 am

Same Difference is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not the first gig I went to, but I went to see Donny Osmond in concert a few years ago and he was fantastic
Old Feb 29th 2008, 2:50 am

Issie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond reputeIssie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leweli
First and only one was Scissor Sisters at the MEN Arena last year (after a very lovely friend bought me tickets as a surprise) x.
What a great night it was too.........
Old Feb 29th 2008, 6:15 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Best gigs I went to is a toss up between Shirley Bassey at Althrop, and Neil Diamond at Sheffield. Both brilliant.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

derek and margaret is on a distinguished road

When I was a lad in the fifties my next door neighbour played in the resident band at the local jazz club, and he would let me carry in a drum so I could sneak in and listen to visiting bands. Kenny Ball, Acker Bilk, Humphrey Littleton, Monty Sunshine and my favourites Clyde Valley Stompers. When I was old enough to get in to dance halls legally our local Top Rank had a mersey theme every thursday and I recall Billy J Kramer, Swinging Blue Jeans, my favourites The Hollies, and before he appeared a few years later on t.v I seem to remember a group called Freddy Starr & the Midnighters.
Old Feb 29th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

bchapl is an unknown quantity at this point

Wishbone Ash (in the early 70s - I wasn't old enough to get in, but it's amazing what us girls can do with a bit of makeup!) at Southend Kursaal. This was followed by Queen, who were supporting Mott the Hoople, believe it or not. Got chatted up by some Hell's Angel type (at that age you think they're just so cool). Grew up eventually tho' (thankfully)!
bchapl
Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:52 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My wife saw the Beatles at Birmingham Town hall ..... sitting in the front row ....... and with the little known support act at the time, someone called Jimi Hendrix
Old Feb 29th 2008, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

bchapl is an unknown quantity at this point

Now that is cool!
bchapl
Old Feb 29th 2008, 12:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bchapl
Now that is cool!
bchapl
Not really its terrible, because she doesn't like Hendrix and he's one of my favourite guitarists, so she didn't deserve to tbe there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.