Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Finding somewhere to live in Costa Del Sol

Finding somewhere to live in Costa Del Sol

Old Mar 5th 2007, 10:52 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finding somewhere to live in Costa Del Sol

Can anyone advise me of the best way to find somewhere to live on the Costa?

Basically when I go, im going, i'll book a couple of nights in a hotel at first but then I want something. I've seen a couple of places offering a room in shared apartment with all the bills included (and internet!) , but one of thse isnt availble till June 1st and the way things are going with the g/f I think i'll be there before them. They seem really cheap like €300 a month which is preferred before i get a job. They dont seem to be stuck to long term rentals either and they just want a one months deposit. But im not really finding many.

Ive seen some nice studio apartments going really cheap but I take it these wouldnt include the bills? What are the prices of bills? Could i literally go down there, look at a furnished apartment say yes I want it, pay a deposit and move straight in? Or do these things take time?

To start with I just want something basic, needs to be furnished but cheap. Try and stay under £200 a month. Then once ive got a job I can if i wish look for something bigger and more suitable. Might even buy a place if its going well.

Can anyone advise me of any good websites too for looking?

All help much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2007, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding somewhere to live in Costa Del Sol

Try the Sur in English http://www.surinenglish.com/index.php

You just say Costa del Sol, any special part? Maybe can send you more information, but the Sur covers a large area so should be helpful
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:24 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
Try the Sur in English http://www.surinenglish.com/index.php

You just say Costa del Sol, any special part? Maybe can send you more information, but the Sur covers a large area so should be helpful
Thanks mrsjdr. Im thinking Malaga and surrounding areas or maybe nerja. Initially im not too bothered where abouts im stopping. Somewhere with good ex pat community probably to try and help me find friends. Once ive got a job ill get another place nearer the job and by then ill know the area better to know which parts i really like.

At the moment im not too fussy. Just need somewhere quick cheap and cheerful.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 1:54 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
Thanks mrsjdr. Im thinking Malaga and surrounding areas or maybe nerja. Initially im not too bothered where abouts im stopping. Somewhere with good ex pat community probably to try and help me find friends. Once ive got a job ill get another place nearer the job and by then ill know the area better to know which parts i really like.

At the moment im not too fussy. Just need somewhere quick cheap and cheerful.
Hi onlineamiga,

I've read in your threads that you are in IT. You will find that jobs in Spain are a bit scarce, but there are plenty good paying jobs in Gibraltar. They pay in GBP and you can still live on the Spain side. Have a look at some of these agencies (jobs in Spain and Gibraltar) and submit your CV.

Exposure

wemploy
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:30 pm
In Estepona

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi onlineamiga,

I've read in your threads that you are in IT. You will find that jobs in Spain are a bit scarce, but there are plenty good paying jobs in Gibraltar. They pay in GBP and you can still live on the Spain side. Have a look at some of these agencies (jobs in Spain and Gibraltar) and submit your CV.

Exposure

wemploy
thanks MnM you are right in that. Is working in gibraltar a hassle? I recall that it can take 30 minutes of queues to get in and out of gibraltar through customs when driving.

Apparantly a lot of recruiters arent interested in you until youve actually made the move. Ive signed up anyway and will adjust my address accordingly. Thanks very much for these links much appreciated.
Old Mar 5th 2007, 2:44 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
thanks MnM you are right in that. Is working in gibraltar a hassle? I recall that it can take 30 minutes of queues to get in and out of gibraltar through customs when driving.

Apparantly a lot of recruiters arent interested in you until youve actually made the move. Ive signed up anyway and will adjust my address accordingly. Thanks very much for these links much appreciated.
Hi again,

What I've been told is that people usually park their cars outside the border and actually walk in. Gibraltar is about 8 square klm and the borders are open 24 hours a day. It is also a VAT free zone.

read more here

The recruitment agency also told me that they would of course have to interview a potential candidate first, but that only stands to reason. I have just found that the wages in that area are more realistic than what is being offered in the Spanish Costas.

Wishing you the best of luck.