Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Fiesta cutbacks?

Fiesta cutbacks?

Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fiesta cutbacks?

Dispite rumours to the contrary, the illuminations have arrived for this year's fiesta in our Pueblo. The lights weren't up last Xmas. Other rumours include that there'll be no bullfight (don't mind that) due to disrepair on the ancient bullring, or 'suelta de vaquillas' (Heifers chasing the local youths, which I do enjoy!)
The town square paving is unfinished and they say it's going to be a bit dismal this year.
Has the Financial crisis come to your Fiesta? How are your Alcalde and Ayuntamiento tightening their belts?
Old Jul 20th 2011, 7:54 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiesta cutbacks?

The Jimena Music festival has been reduced over the years from a week to two weekends and now for the last two years to nothing.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 8:50 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Now we know the crisis really is serious when they're cutting back on the fiestas.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Now we know the crisis really is serious when they're cutting back on the fiestas.
Maybe I spoke too soon. The poles are up but appear just to have flags on them.
Sad about the music festival. I think the importance of fiestas to communities shouldn't be underestimated. On the other hand the mayors are put in such a difficult position. Fiestas seem like a waste of money on the surface. I think one good party a year keeps the community together. Maybe we should go back to making home made decorations!
Old Jul 20th 2011, 6:15 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Well they kept them going during the hard times under Franco and maybe even added to them, as thats one thing they always knew he wasn't in a position to object to.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 7:03 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

All our major fiestas are coming up so I will take note of anything that has changed. One thing that I have noticed is that there are a lot of people currently tidying up the place. The castle is having the shrubs cut back, yellow lines being re-painted etc. I think that these people are unemployed and the town hall is helping them and obviously gaining cheap labour at the same time.

Rosemary
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:45 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Today I have had to move my car because the men are re-doing the electrics that the fiesta lights are attached to so I guess that the fiesta will not be affected too much by the crisis.

Rosemary
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Today I have had to move my car because the men are re-doing the electrics that the fiesta lights are attached to so I guess that the fiesta will not be affected too much by the crisis.

Rosemary
Our lights did eventually go up, but there are fewer of them. and there are no 'farolillas' (paper lanterns) or other paper decorations. There's one less night of music . A good compromise I think. It turns out that the lack of bullfights or heifers chasing youths round the ring is due to new legislation about safety of bullrings. What is my husband going to watch in the morning when they run out of footage of people getting "ragdoll-ed" (as he calls it) by bulls?-
He has a great T shirt. One of those Kukuxumusu ones with a cartoon bull holding a human ear and 'private parts' in the air and a little man on the floor bleeding with a spike through him!
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:44 am

One of our 4 day fiestas is funded and run by the 18 year olds of the town. If they do not raise sufficient money during the year for live music they resort to discos. So each year it is different because it depends how much time they invest and of course also on how many 18 year olds there are. They thoroughly enjoy themselves anyway.

Love the idea of paper lanterns, they are not part of what occurs here but would be nice if they were.

Rosemary
Old Jul 25th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Our fiesta lights were being put up today, along with brand new flags on the arch at the enterance to town, the stage for the live music in the square is also up and ready to use.
I don't think there are any cut backs, apart from I have noticed over the last couple of years that there have not been fireworks to mark the end of the Feria.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by megmet
Our fiesta lights were being put up today, along with brand new flags on the arch at the enterance to town, the stage for the live music in the square is also up and ready to use.
I don't think there are any cut backs, apart from I have noticed over the last couple of years that there have not been fireworks to mark the end of the Feria.
My Fiesta report:-)
There seemed to be even more fireworks, a bigger procession band and more people doing the Saturday night party - to Sunday morning 'alegre diana'. Certainly my son, who's first fiesta it was, learned that "you're my best friend you are" sounds the same in any language!The dance band was smaller, and more of the events were organised by locals rather than the council.
It did seem that the belt -tightening choices worked.
Old Jul 26th 2011, 6:32 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

our Moors & Christians finished on Sunday - we didn't go to the parade - it's very loooong & the same every year - but we do love the fireworks at midnight & go to the beach to watch

we were just getting ready to wander down to a bar on the seafront at 11ish - the fireworks are usually at midnight & according to the timetable this year was to be the same

we didn't get out of the door & they started!!

we watched from our roof terrace from where we have a great view anyway - but they didn't seem as good as usual, and whereas they have gone on for 20mins+ in previous years, this year they only lasted about 10 mins
Old Jul 27th 2011, 1:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I have no ideas what it was like before but the 3 day event here seems to have had plenty going on. Concert band, local youth band and orchestra for all three days and played through the night till 7/8 am. Pasdobles in the street and other events. Pasacalles two days with firecrackers plotting route. Bunting, 2 bars a stage churros van plus stalls all in a 250 approx mountain village with spectular fireworks set off with music inbetween last night. Also a display at the bottom of the village about 250 people permanent residents. Probably between 1000 and 2000 for feista as families came back for the celebrations. This mornings desayuno in the bar was accompanied by music and dancing
Old Jul 27th 2011, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
I have no ideas what it was like before but the 3 day event here seems to have had plenty going on. Concert band, local youth band and orchestra for all three days and played through the night till 7/8 am. Pasdobles in the street and other events. Pasacalles two days with firecrackers plotting route. Bunting, 2 bars a stage churros van plus stalls all in a 250 approx mountain village with spectular fireworks set off with music inbetween last night. Also a display at the bottom of the village about 250 people permanent residents. Probably between 1000 and 2000 for feista as families came back for the celebrations. This mornings desayuno in the bar was accompanied by music and dancing
Sounds really great, bet you enjoyed the atmosphere as well as the spectacle.

Rosemary