Ferry prices

Old Jul 20th 2021, 2:59 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ferry prices

Can anyone help me with Ferry prices. I just priced up a return from Plymouth-santander-Plymouth with a standard car (no trailer or roof rack). I was a bit shocked when it came up as 1000 pounds.

Any advice on the cheapest methods from any UK port to any Spain port? I was looking at spending my time between the south of England and the Iberian peninsula using the 90/180 day system. But at that price I could fly anywhere in the world.

Thanks as always.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 5:03 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ferry prices

Hola,
I use the Channel Tunnel for around 100€ spend 50€ in fuel driving through France and 60€ hotel.

Davexf
Old Jul 20th 2021, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by June W
Can anyone help me with Ferry prices. I just priced up a return from Plymouth-santander-Plymouth with a standard car (no trailer or roof rack). I was a bit shocked when it came up as 1000 pounds.

Any advice on the cheapest methods from any UK port to any Spain port? I was looking at spending my time between the south of England and the Iberian peninsula using the 90/180 day system. But at that price I could fly anywhere in the world.

Thanks as always.
Doesn't surprise me that price, especially in the summer months. It's never been cheap. They want you to think of it as a cruise! Prices usually start to come down after end of August.
The ferry from Bilbao-Portsmouth has just re-opened & they don't have 'reclining chairs' to sleep on either; have to buy a cabin.
There really aren't any "cheap" ferries from Spain to Britain.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Summer is always more expensive as mentioned and you still have the France route. With Covid prices have also increased, be it the ferry or plane and we usually never go during summer.
It's far cheaper after summer holidays and with the weather hitting 30c here, no need to go now really.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

I had to to pay nearly €100 in tolls alone going tthrough France. We paid about £800 for a car and a trailer one way from Portsmouth to Bilbao. That price included a 4 berth cabin.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

VEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond reputeVEDShappy has a reputation beyond repute

Brittany Ferries are expensive, particularly in high season, it's a trade off against driving through France.
It's not a great deal but I can save you 10% on the fare if you decide to proceed.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

June W is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola,
I use the Channel Tunnel for around 100€ spend 50€ in fuel driving through France and 60€ hotel.

Davexf

Oooh that seems much more reasonable, thank you. I imagined the ferry would be 200-300 pounds, I am shocked at the price.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh that seems much more reasonable, thank you. I imagined the ferry would be 200-300 pounds, I am shocked at the price.
might be closer to that price when it’s not kids holidays. You’ll be paying full wack if you book right now.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 8:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Timing is everything with ferries to Spain from UK as there is only one company. You really need to just work through the dates and pick the best price. I did it last September from Spain returning in November for around £430 with a cabin for 2 of us both ways plus as they changed from Portsmouth to Plymouth on inbound journey I got £60 back for fuel. All you can do is compare dates and compare cost of coming through France tolls overnight stops etc and get the cheapest. Or fly.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Greywolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks as always.
I booked to Bilbao from Portsmouth in |Sept. £300 cheaper than Santander. More sailings than STDR , could be why it's cheaper.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greywolf
I booked to Bilbao from Portsmouth in |Sept. £300 cheaper than Santander. More sailings than STDR , could be why it's cheaper.
Its also cheaper if you do Plymouth - Spain, but depending where you are in the Uk, its a bit of a drag to get there.

Be careful with the Portsmouth - Bilbao ferry. I went to book last year and only realised that it went via St Malo in France first (added a day to the journey but was cheaper) Not all of them do but its not made clear during the first part of the booking system.
Old Jul 20th 2021, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Greywolf is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh!! That's a bit naughty, I know when we leave Portsmouth and when we arrive in Bilbao, Where we go in between doesn't bother me , but I imagine it would if you were expecting to be there at a certain time.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 5:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

A lot of the portsmouth /spain ferries are now 35 hours. Stuff that. I dont want a cruise on what is a FERRY. A cruise would be if your meals and entertainment was included.

I wonder of the economie service will resume. That used to be about £540 to £600 return (including a cabin). France? unless you want two nights in hotels you need to factor in €100 in tolls so including hotel its near as dammit €300 each way. Same as a spain ferry but taking an extra day.

Car hire prices have gone to the moon. If coming over for 4 weeks or less i hire and fly. If 4 weeks or more i ferry - but always outside of july/august. And if it were £1,000 return ferry i'd fly and hire car.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Barriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond reputeBarriej has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
A lot of the portsmouth /spain ferries are now 35 hours. Stuff that. I dont want a cruise on what is a FERRY. A cruise would be if your meals and entertainment was included.

I wonder of the economie service will resume. That used to be about £540 to £600 return (including a cabin). France? unless you want two nights in hotels you need to factor in €100 in tolls so including hotel its near as dammit €300 each way. Same as a spain ferry but taking an extra day.

Car hire prices have gone to the moon. If coming over for 4 weeks or less i hire and fly. If 4 weeks or more i ferry - but always outside of july/august. And if it were £1,000 return ferry i'd fly and hire car.

The issue with the economie service was that there weren't many cabins and you could book a sleeper chair. Brittany have made it compulsory to book a cabin now. This is why the prices are higher as cabins start from £100 up.
The 35 hours are because its a two stop, Portsmouth- san malo- santander, direct its just over 24hrs.
Old Jul 25th 2021, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy

I checked the economie from Ireland and price was roughly 280€ for 2 people one way with the mandatory cabin to Bilbao (26 hours). The drive then is only 6 1/2 to where we go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.